UKC

Best way to purify water

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TimhNorthBASE 08 Feb 2014
Looking for the best way, for purifying "drinking water" in Morocco as well as river water.

Just wondering peoples opinions on the UV, and filter systems and can anyone recommend any products. I've tried those lifesaver bottles but I don't want anything to big cumbersome and heavy.
Cheers
 Bobling 08 Feb 2014
In reply to TimhNorthBASE:

I got one of these for Xmas http://www.watertogo.eu , but not tested it yet. I guess the volume could be a limiting factor.
 crayefish 08 Feb 2014

Homemade iodine...
 Kai 08 Feb 2014

Chlorine Dioxide tablets. Lighter than any purifier. More effective than a purifier. Very little taste at all.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifesystems-Chlorine-Dioxide-Purification-Tablets/d...
 CMCM 08 Feb 2014
It depends on the water source you intend to drink from. You may need to use a couple of methods if drinking from really dirty water.

A filter pump system is best as they remove grit etc from the water whilst purifying with a charcoal filter. They can be expensive and will only purify around 100 litres (dependant on type of pump of course). The pump process can be slow so make sure you buy a decent one.

Chemical sterilization tablets work well but you may need to strain extremely dirty water first. Sterilizing fast running water with tablets would be ok.

UV systems do not kill all types of bugs so you may need to back this up with another method. I recommend you read up on the specifics if you intend to buy one.

Distillation is the cheapest method if you have the time (whilst camping etc) but probably not if you're on the move
Post edited at 23:25
In reply to CMCM:

My understanding might be out of date but i thought that no filter was capable of removing virus' so you would also need to back up with chlorine. Suspect an activated charcoal filter might be an exception but filters are a faff to use.

Chlorine does not kill Giardia but iodine does although needs quite a high dose so taste becomes a problem.

I've used a steripen (UV) which i thought killed everything (technicaaly it doesn't 'kill' but scrambles DNA and prevents reproduction which is actually the issue)

If muddy, use a ceramic filter. These will filter most nasties. Combine with ClO2 to make sure. You can't get iodine in the eu anymore but you might be able to get some there. Steripens aren't effective in turbid water.
 Denzil 09 Feb 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

> If muddy, use a ceramic filter. These will filter most nasties. Combine with ClO2 to make sure. You can't get iodine in the eu anymore but you might be able to get some there. Steripens aren't effective in turbid water.

Tincture of iodine is no longer on sale in the eu any more for water sterilisation, but it's still available for treatment of wounds - just make sure you tell the chemist that's what you want it for!
 Firestarter 09 Feb 2014

Filter it if it's minging, then boil it. How long for depends on the altitude you're at.
 Brownie 09 Feb 2014

not all water filters are the same, but the lifesaver one you mention is one of the best types using a nano-filter system which will remove virus sized organisms, (see lab test report by London school of hygiene and tropical medicine on their webpages)
The activated carbon is to remove some chemical pollutants too small in solution for the filter.

Best to do some research on what each system can protect against or not. I used to maintain a very small public drinking water system and think nano-filters are the way to go rather than iodine or UV.

BTW I do not sell these or have anything to do with the co. but it is what I would buy myself if going somewhere with dodgy water.

B
 Brownie 09 Feb 2014

reviews and more info on these american websites loads of bugs in the water over there,

outdoorgearlab and rei

Just looked it up again the nano filter type filters have pores of 15nanometers or 0.015microns most ceramic water filters are 0.2 mcrons or 200nm - the bigger holes let virus through.

also loads of good science studies out there on this subject - (for nerds like me to find)
B
 crayefish 09 Feb 2014
In reply to Denzil:

> Tincture of iodine is no longer on sale in the eu any more for water sterilisation, but it's still available for treatment of wounds - just make sure you tell the chemist that's what you want it for!

I just bought iodine prills from a chemical supplier.
 Firestarter 09 Feb 2014
In reply to crayefish:

Sorry. Still boiling. Admittedly won't get rid of chemicals but a sure fire way (pun intented) of killing nasties. Boil boil boil.
 crayefish 09 Feb 2014
In reply to Firestarter:

Agreed, but not always possible if on the move and away from a camp; not always possible (or desireable) to carry an entire day's water supply so good to have iodine as a back up. Plus it weighs much less than the fuel needed for boiling and can be used for wound sterilisation. So depends on your needs.
 Firestarter 09 Feb 2014
In reply to crayefish:

Agree entirely. But op was best way for purifying water. Logistics not mentioned. Steri tabs are good for on the move but taste like swimming pool water. One extreme to the other I guess.
 str1nger 09 Feb 2014

Life straw is supposed to be good http://www.lifestraw.org.uk/
 Firestarter 09 Feb 2014
In reply to crayefish:

And I forgot to add - iodine used incorrectly or for long periods can seriously f""k you up. Boiling - you'll maybe burn yourself but at least your internal organs will be ok.
 crayefish 09 Feb 2014
In reply to Firestarter:

You'd have to drink a lot for a very extended period of time (few months I think) for it to be bad. It is also useful for nuclear war
 Firestarter 09 Feb 2014
In reply to crayefish:

Or get the mix wrong......
 crayefish 09 Feb 2014
In reply to Firestarter:

The method I use prevents that for the most part I find; iodine prills in a medical pee sample bottle filled with water. I just then pour half the iodine water out into the water bottle (also means prills wont fall out) and then just refill. Makes dosing easy. In 13 years of using that system I have never once had prills pop out into my water bottle.
 Firestarter 09 Feb 2014
In reply to crayefish:

Fair enough - sounds like it works for you. In 25 years as a combat survival instructor I've never found the need to use it. Horses for courses.
 crayefish 09 Feb 2014
In reply to Firestarter:

Yeah just one of those preference things. The reason I started was because of the cost (basically free!) and portability. Having said that, even though it always goes in my cookset, I rarely use it these days as the water in Scotland/Wales is usually pretty clean.
 Firestarter 09 Feb 2014
In reply to crayefish:

You can use bleach as a really cheap alternative - just make sure it's not that peach/lemon/coconut variety! Always told students- it can be fast flowing, aerated, clean smelling, but who pissed in it or what died in it 100 yards upstream?
 crayefish 09 Feb 2014
In reply to Firestarter:

Not heard of that one before! Yum

Yes you are quite correct. Luckily I tend to go to remote places. But there is always some sheep willing to flavor your drinking water
 nclarey 09 Feb 2014

This topic came up a few weeks ago. At the time I did some digging around and if you've got some time make yourself a nice cup of cocoa and read what appears to be the seminal research work on the topic, carried out by the US Army back in 2006:

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA449339

Summary of this particular study - Katadyn Micropur tabs (the MP1 tabs listed in there are Chlorine Dioxide - only available in the US apparently? The European ones use silver apparently) for pretty much everything unless you've got space and can carry more, in which case the MSR Sweetwater purifier comes up on top. Iodine is pretty good except it doesn't help with Cryptosporidium.

Other experts can tell me that this study is now out of date because of recent filtration improvements but this was the best I could find!
 due 10 Feb 2014
In reply to nclarey:

I have some of those Katadyn ones (from the US). I think they are just chlorine dioxide tabs. The packet says 6.4% sodium chlorite, 1% sodium dichloroiso-....NaDCC - maybe someone could compare to say the Lifesystem ones.

That link suggests normal chlorine tabs won't kill crypto no matter how long you wait. They're also not keen on Steripens because effectiveness is dependent on water clarity (but this could be a non-issue).

~30p per chlorine dioxide tab is a lot though, about 3x as much as the MSR filter (if you believe the 750L lifespan)
 lost1977 10 Feb 2014

In all the time I spent in Morocco I think I may have filtered water once
 nclarey 11 Feb 2014
In reply to due:

Looks suspiciously similar - two components that mix to form chlorine dioxide - though I can't find a reference to the active ingredients:

http://www.lifesystems.co.uk/product-technology.html#second
 nufkin 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Firestarter:

> who pissed in it or what died in it 100 yards upstream?

I seem to remember reading something that suggested water was drinkable surprisingly close to sources of contamination (ie a dead sheep).

Still best avoided where possible though, I suppose

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...