UKC

FULL VIDEO: Alex Honnold - His Hardest Big Wall Solo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 13 Feb 2014
Alex Honnold at the Green river, Utah, 4 kbIn January, American climber Alex Honnold soloed El Sendero Luminoso, a 500m, technical, 7c big wall at Potrero Chico, Mexico.

We've already reported the ascent with a short video clip, but now there is a longer video available. Another astonishing ascent by Alex Honnold, beautifully captured on film with amazing drone footage, and awesome climbing sequences, don't miss this video!

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68712
 teddy 13 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Great achievement by Alex.

Sorry to be picky but I believe the grade of the hardest pitch is 7b+ and not 7c, therefore it is not accurate to state that this is a '7c big wall' in your title. The difference between 7c and 7b+ is quite significant.

Thanks
Ted
 Matt Vigg 13 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

What a beautiful little film.... The only film I think I've seen that really captures something of what it's like to solo. Brought back a few exposed solo flashbacks!
Removed User 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Matt Vigg:

Is this harder than the solo of the Fish Route on South face of Marmolada by the Austrian guy a couple of years back?

The Fish Route is certainly a lot longer!
 crankey 13 Feb 2014
In reply to teddy:

The consensus is that its 5.12d which is 7c.
 GDes 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Removed User:
The fish gets 7b ish. It's a lot longer, but probably not as sustained. However the climbing in marmolada is extremely thin. Not sure id be that keen on soloing either really. I'm equally impressed by this and Hansjorg Auer on the fish.

The video made me feel a bit sick mind
 Aigen 13 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:
This video make Chico look fantastic but in reality it is a choss pile. Well done Alex.
Post edited at 16:58
 AlanLittle 13 Feb 2014
In reply to GDes:

Didn't Hans-Jörg do The Fish onsight?
 Kemics 13 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

looks like cheddar on roids!
 Ian Parsons 13 Feb 2014
In reply to AlanLittle:

No. Failed to redpoint it, then went back a few years later; brief re-acquaintance on abseil, then solo.
 Aigen 13 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News: Is this long enough to be called a big wall

AlanLittle 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Ah, ok.

Still, hearing about The Fish was, I think, my personal biggest over "OMG What !!!?" reaction to a piece of climbing news. It was so completely out of the blue for anybody outside the Austrian-dialect-speaking corner of the climbing world.

I'm sure Alex Honnold's feats are similarly impressive, as are Üli Steck's, but both have so much previous form that they lack that bolt from a clear blue sky factor.
 PeteH 14 Feb 2014
On a more nerdy point, are those yellow soles on his Miuras at 3:54? Resoles or custom-made for him?

Enty 14 Feb 2014
In reply to PeteH:

I wondered that too.

And regarding this ascent - I'm still more impressed with the solo of Half Dome and Moonlight even though they are easier.

E
 chrissyboy 14 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Amazing filming,the intensity is just gripping! you can see the guy moving his fingers and feeling that rock.Seeing him do that stuff gets my guts churning over and over.One thing for certain he got balls!
 martinph78 14 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome!
 mattrm 14 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Great film. Scary climbing. Gripping stuff.
 jon 15 Feb 2014
In reply to mattrm:
Yes, even though I don't like to watch films of soloing, I agree. On another note, I'd say that Teddy's comment about it being 7b+ and not 7c is missing the point by as much as it is possible to do so!
Post edited at 09:34
 deepsoup 15 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:
That's a really lovely film in all sorts of ways. Cedar Wright and Alex Honnold are both really engaging on camera. The drone footage is absolutely jaw-dropping.
 dereke12000 16 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Well done Alex, amazing climbing. Brilliant filming too. Hard to believe anyone would be relaxed enough to smile at the camera!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...