UKC

Avalanche Hazard Research

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wi11 19 Feb 2014
Next week I will be up in Scotland, mainly in the Northern Corries, trying to collect data about people's decision making in avalanche terrain for my dissertation; as a part of my Geography degree at Bangor University. One of the biggest problems in doing this will be getting people to stop and talk to me in the first place. So if you see me around and about then please stop and fill in a questionnaire, it will only take a couple of minutes and the more responses I get the better, there might be tea and/or biscuits in it for you!

More information can be found below:
http://wi11hardy.blogspot.co.uk/p/avalanche-hazard-research.html

I will hopefully be active on twitter whilst I am up there, follow me @wi11.hardy as there may be some conditions reports on there too.

Many thanks and see you on the hill!

Will
 Michael Gordon 19 Feb 2014
In reply to wi11:

You may have more luck afternoons/evenings - provided they're down in good time, folk may be in less of a rush then?
OP wi11 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Michael Gordon:

I am planning on doing it in the afternoon for just that reason! I don't think I would be stopping on the walk in, but I might stop for a cup of tea on the walk out

Simon Yearsley 19 Feb 2014
In reply to wi11:

Good one Will, I know you've put a lot of effort into this cool wee project.

A plea to all... if you're likely to be on the hills in Scotland over the next few weeks, please be nice to be nice to the guy who wants to stop and talk to you, when all you want to do is get into your warm car. It's good and important research.
In reply to wi11:

why not do a Surveymonkey survey? This has the advantage of people being able to fill it out in the warmth of their accomodation and not at the Cairngorm Mountain carpark where it might be [insert inclement weather phenomenon].
 Michael Gordon 19 Feb 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

It sounds like he wants to speak to folk in person
OP wi11 19 Feb 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

I want to speak to people in person for a couple of reasons including: surveying in the field will hopefully gather some extra qualitative data, secondly people are more likely to answer accurately as their memories are fresh and it also ensures that people are answering about activities carried out that day.

Cheers

Will
In reply to wi11:

Whenever I set off massive slab avalanches in the Norries, I always call Will Hardy so he can check it out on my GoPro!

Jokes jokes, be safe and don't set off any slides. Here's the bump for your thread and hope you get some data mate. I know how hard it is to collect data when I did my proj last year!
 Jim Braid 19 Feb 2014
In reply to wi11:

Don't know if you're aware of this or not but there's a chap from Dundee University doing a similar project based at the Ranger Station at Cairngorm. I was stopped by him middle of last month and like you he was also offering tea and biscuits. As I was coming off the hill fairly early we both had time for a long interesting chat. He was saying it got a bit hectic towards the end of the day as everyone seemed to be getting back to the car around the same time.

Don't have any contact details for him but no doubt the Ranger Station or the Uni could help.

Anyway, best of luck.

OP wi11 20 Feb 2014
In reply to Jim Braid:

Hi Jim, I was not aware of that but I will have an ask around to see what is what!

Cheers

Will
OP wi11 22 Feb 2014
In reply to wi11:

Thanks for the heads up on the fact that there is another researcher up here! As a result of this I am now also looking for responses via email from anyone who has been out walking, climbing or skiing in Scotland. If you would take about 5 minutes to complete the questionnaire linked below and email me your answers then that would be great!

Questionnaire http://wi11hardy.blogspot.co.uk/p/avalanche-hazard-research-questionnaire.h...

I also managed to delete the previous info page but have replaced it, unfortunately the URL has changed so for more info please go to: http://wi11hardy.blogspot.co.uk/p/avalanche-hazard-research_2082.html

This is the only week that I have to collect the data for my project so all responses will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Will

OP wi11 23 Feb 2014
In reply to wi11:

If you got out yesterday and are sat in a cafe reading this due to the abysmal weather then please take 5 minutes to fill my questionnaire out!

Thanks!
 Simon Yearsley 23 Feb 2014
In reply to wi11:

As suggested Will, it could be useful to ring folk who have been out (very) recently on this hill, and ask them to complete the survey over the phone. I'm sure you'll get a good response. You can also ask the person you're ringing for the numbers of two more folk who they know who'd be up for completing the Q'aire. That way you'll quickly get a good sample size.

You could also try moving base and setting up in either the Stob Coire carpark in Glencoe and/or the North Face carpark for the Ben?
Jim C 23 Feb 2014
In reply to Simon Yearsley:

"You could also try moving base and setting up in either the Stob Coire carpark in Glencoe and/or the North Face carpark for the Ben?"

Maybe take a couple of these cheap and cheerful shelters with a couple of stools that you can push together to keep the wind chill off

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1080902.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$...
Post edited at 17:09
OP wi11 23 Feb 2014
In reply to Simon Yearsley:

Cheers Simon I will give that a go. If anyone reading this would be happy to complete the questionnaire over the phone then send me a message on here with your number and I will ring you back as soon as possible or whenever is convenient for you.

I may move over to the the North Face car park for the Ben at some point this week. I will post on here to let people know where I will be headed. There will be tea and biscuits!

So once again if you have been out today then please take a couple of minutes to email your responses to my questionnaire or PM me your number if you would rather do it over the phone

http://wi11hardy.blogspot.co.uk/p/avalanche-hazard-research-questionnaire.h...

Cheers!

Will
OP wi11 24 Feb 2014
In reply to wi11:

Was anyone out this weekend? It would be really useful for me if you could take 5 minutes to fill out a questionnaire for me if you were

http://wi11hardy.blogspot.co.uk/p/avalanche-hazard-research-questionnaire.h...

I need all the responses I can get as my project is really hanging in the balance at the minute!

Cheers

Will
BEZZER 25 Feb 2014
In reply to wi11:

Hi Will,

Having just returned from a brilliant Scottish winter skills course I am happy to help with your dissertation if you need it. Maybe one area of focus could be the quality of winter skills education/training for being out in UK hills. I'm not trying to tell you how to write your dissertation, please don't think I am. If you wish me to complete the questionnaire then feel free to e-mail me at bereit1@hotmail.co.uk

Cheers,

Simon Bereit
OP wi11 25 Feb 2014
In reply to wi11:

Cheers Simon, I have emailed you!

Anyone out on the hill today?
 girlymonkey 25 Feb 2014
In reply to wi11:

I was, I filled in one of the questionnaires that you left in the ranger base
OP wi11 25 Feb 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

Thanks!
 kiwi boy 25 Feb 2014
In reply to wi11:

hi will I am going up to scotland this weekend and will be more than happy to fill in a questionairre if you want to mail me
Cheers
Andy
Jim C 26 Feb 2014
In reply to wi11:

> Was anyone out this weekend? It would be really useful for me if you could take 5 minutes to fill out a questionnaire for me if you were
> Will

You must have been aware of this recent one,I was looking to see if there was any more news on how the woman was doing, hopefully she will be ok.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-26329513
OP wi11 26 Feb 2014
In reply to kiwi boy:

Cheers Andy! I have sent you a message through the forums.

Cheers

Will
OP wi11 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Jim C:

Hi Jim, I have seen that but don't know any more than is online about it.
OP wi11 26 Feb 2014
In reply to wi11:

Thanks the the email responses that I have had today and to the people who stopped in the top N. Face car park on the Ben (all of who were very happy with the biscuits they received in return for filling in a questionnaire).

For anyone interested I heard that the Ben was a bit wet and some bits got done on Aladdin's Buttress in Sneachda today.

If anyone else could email me a response then that would be great!
OP wi11 28 Feb 2014
In reply to wi11:

I will be in the Corie Cas car park tomorrow afternoon. If anyone can spare 5 minutes for a cup of tea , a biscuit and a chat then that would be great!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...