UKC

REVIEW: Winter Gloves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 19 Feb 2014
Hydra EXT, nice dextrous Mountain Hardwear handwear, 3 kbYou may only have two hands, but in winter you can never have too many gloves. This collection spans a range of makes, models and prices. We've concentrated on waterproof gauntlet style gloves - good all rounders - and covered a few non-waterproof gloves too. Something for everyone then.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=6049
 TobyA 20 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

Well done Dan - an epic review to cover so much ground!

Two questions - 1) could the Mtn Hardwear glove you had just be the wrong size for you? And 2) what route are you doing in the photo for ME Assault glove?

I find glove sizes are about the most randomly sized thing out there and it's hopeless trying to guess what size you might be. I've had two different models from the same firm, same season, and one pair was just great in medium, second pair way too small for me but still supposedly medium.
 galpinos 20 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

Gloves I'd say deserve a mention:

ME Randonee Glove - Pile lined sofshell glove, very warm (even when wetted out) and dexterous. My glove of choice for climbing.

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/the_gear/head_hands_+_feet/hands/randon...

Venitex Leather Ski Glove aka the Cham Guide/Bin Man Glove - Get the proper full "I'm a pro" feel with the original. Not super dexterous but great for skiing and general mountaineering.

http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/Venitex-Leather-Gloves-size-8
Aldaris 20 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

The Marmot XT gloves are also painfully missing:
http://marmot.com/products/details/xt-glove
In reply to galpinos:

Yes, i wanted to cover both those but there's only so much time and space
 galpinos 20 Feb 2014
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Wasn't having a go Dan, just thought it was worth adding them to the discussion!
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks Toby, epic is right. Glad it's out of my hands now (sorry).

1. Yes it's ever so slightly too small for my hand. That's not a criticism of course, just a fact of the fit. Sizing aside, the elastication around the wrist is more aggressive than on the other gloves tested. Will suit some people I'm sure.

2. Aladdin's Buttress Original (summer?) Route. Photos are pitch 1
In reply to galpinos:

Yes absolutely!
 Cameron94 20 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

The two gloves I see most in Scotland are the M.E Guides & the Couloir.

Neither of which are featured. Although I was pretty impressed with the amount of info you crammed in!

I use the Assaults for some of the harder pitches I get (nothing above tech 5 normally) as the dexterity is brilliant but they are bloody freezing I find.
 krasavenko 20 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:
any plans to review some women specific gloves?..
Post edited at 12:23
 Martin W 20 Feb 2014

Anyone got any experience of the Simond Alpinism 700 glove from Decathlon? It looks similar-ish to the OR Arete with the separate inner glove and a fairly basic design for the outer, but less than half the price.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/alpinism-700-gloves-id_3255943.html
Post edited at 12:37
In reply to TobyA:

I think Dan tried to be very fair about fit, but it's inevitable that a glove that doesn't fit is unlikely to review well.

For me, most gloves have fingers that are too long, if the body fits. So dexterity is a problem. So it's nice to read that some gloves have fingers that are 'too short'; I may go and look at them...

I'd also agree that glove sizing is utterly random, and the only way to get a pair that fits is to try them on.

I don't think it's that I have short fingers, more that the webs between them are large, so my fingers can't reach into the gloves... Having Raynaud's, I'm a bit of a glove obsessive, and have dozens of pairs, always looking for 'perfection'. Oddly enough, the best fitting pair I ever had was a pair of Polaris 'Wind Grip' gloves. Sadly, I finished off the Amara fingers trying to follow Haggis up an easy route on Stanage when I was utterly freezing. I know, climbing on grit in gloves... Marginally better than trying to climb with white, waxy, numb fingers...

I have a pair of ACG gloves picked up stupidly cheap in TKM; Schoeller, Gore-tex, Primaloft, Pittards, you name it, they've got it. Sadly, designed for a small elf with long, slender hands. Any elves reading; feel free to make me an offer..
 pec 24 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

I notice most of the gloves seem to have a bit of tape (usually red) across one of the fingers as do my ME gloves. Last week whilst skiing a woman in a cable car said to me "oh, your gloves have one of those things across the finger like mine (she had some Rab gloves on), what's it for?".
I have no idea what its for. Does it serve any useful purpose or is it just somewhere else to stich a logo to?
 martinph78 24 Feb 2014
In reply to pec:

For hanging the gloves on a carabiner in such a way that they don't fill with snow (and also drip dry quicker).
 ColdWill 24 Feb 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

You have webbed hands!
In reply to ColdWill:

We all have webbed hands; the fold of skin between the fingers is often referred to as the 'web'...

I remember seeing someone split one of theirs when catching a softball. Bloody and painful...
 alasdair19 26 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

Good review!

Just got the or arete. Very impressed. Felt tight initially but in use have been reasonably dexterous.
 ben b 26 Feb 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:
> Any elves reading; feel free to make me an offer..

Not elves but hobbits:
http://www.cactusequipment.co.nz/online-shop/hats,-gloves-etc/spg-gloves/77...
Not that long in the finger, but a lot of money for the wrong size... However if you ask them they are pretty amenable to making up bespoke stuff. Could be worth an email conversation with your palm circumference and finger lengths. Once treated they are very good indeed, and last seemingly forever (I have finally worn through one finger on my 2002 vintage pair!)

hth

b
 Sharp 26 Feb 2014
In reply to pec:

> I notice most of the gloves seem to have a bit of tape (usually red) across one of the fingers as do my ME gloves...
> I have no idea what its for. Does it serve any useful purpose or is it just somewhere else to stich a logo to?

Sometimes gloves get a bit warm and soft, the carabiner loop is there so you can hang them off your harness and they'll freeze back up nicely.
 somethingelse 26 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

The buffalo mitts - does anyone use these for belaying in? is the pertext not a little slippy for rope handling? anyone caught a fall wearing these?

any info/thoughts much appreciated!

thanks
 alasdair19 03 Mar 2014
In reply to somethingelse:

not sure i've held a fall but i used them to descend the italian side of the grande jorasse. they were noticeable worn after a long afternoon but for the weight i was impressed. unbeatable as a lightweight spare.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...