UKC

DMM renegade 2 problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Danbow73 19 Feb 2014
Seems like a stupid question but has anyone had issues with the dmm renegade 2 putting holes in t-shirts. Seems like every climbing session I have a new hole. Wouldn't mind but its claimed 2 rab meco base layers and a ME eclipse fleece?

Cheers

Dan
 TobyA 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Danbow73:

Nope - I broke a gear loop on mine http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.fi/2013/10/dmm-renegade-harness-review.ht... but no holes in layers under it! TBH it seems a bit unlikely - are all the holes in the same place? In which case finding the cause should be simple. If they're not, then I doubt it's the harness. Very occasionally you can make holes in t-shirt by clipping your t-shirt into krabs on a harness, but that is krabs, not the harness to blame.
 chrisbaggy 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Danbow73:

I have the renegade and i have 2 holes in shirts from the knot tightening and trapping tshirt from falling..... its more the knot than the harness i assumed, although its probably the fleshy bit trying to pull the tshirt out by brute force and ignorance and ripping t shirt :p
OP Danbow73 19 Feb 2014
In reply to chrisbaggy:

The holes are all on the harness line, theres about 20 of them in various T-shirts. I was instructing today (just belaying) and still had holes so it can't be just the knot. Its strange because I had a wild country harness for ages and never had a single hole in any of my clothes....
Linden 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Danbow73:

no holes with mine yet, ill pay some attention though, and see if i get anything...
 Monk 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Danbow73:

I get holes in t shirts with all types of harness I've used, and I think they are nearly always from belaying, but I've never noticed it happening. Possibly from the shirt getting pinched between crab and device.
 PPP 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Monk:

Never had such a problem with Petzl Corax, even with very thin and cheap Mountain Warehouse shirt which gets destroyed if velcro attaches to it.
OP Danbow73 19 Feb 2014
In reply to PPP:

I never had an issue with my old wild country syncro... a bit disappointed with the renegade to be honest
 TobyA 20 Feb 2014
In reply to Danbow73:

> a bit disappointed with the renegade to be honest

So what is doing it then? If it is the harness, how is it causing making the holes?

I've worn mine one time for about 15 hrs non stop and no holes, and I've used it for probably a dozen or more shorter climbing sessions - still no holes. So what is happening with yours that isn't happening with mine?

steveshaking 20 Feb 2014
In reply to Danbow73:

I have one too and have had no issues. Like Toby I am intrigued as to the way a harness can create holes. I have had knots take a bite of teeshirt on a fall, but that's not a harness issue.
In reply to Danbow73:

Now that you mention it I do seem to get throught t-shirts more when wearing this harness! My main gripe with it (i've had 3 now) is that the wear markers on the tie in loops fray and generate holes really quickly? Have always sent back to DMM and got a replacement, shame because it's a great harness
 gethin_allen 20 Feb 2014
In reply to Danbow73:

My guess is that your shirt is getting caught between the two parts of the harness waist belt buckle when it is tight. You then move and your shirt is torn. I have numerous holes I tshirts caused by belt buckles.
OP Danbow73 20 Feb 2014
In reply to TobyA:

To be honest with you I don't know, maybe its an issue to do with how tight or loose you have the buckle.
OP Danbow73 20 Feb 2014
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

I had a wild country harness for about 4 years now and never had a single hole. As soon as I switch to the renegade, 10+ holes in 5 months. Still climbing at the same centre, same ropes, same belay crab so the only thing it can be is the harness... pretty strange
 TobyA 20 Feb 2014
In reply to Danbow73:

Semi-seriously; maybe you've got moths in wardrobe?

Are all the holes in the same place? I don't see how it could be the buckle unless they were all close to each other?
 tehmarks 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Danbow73:

I've had a Renegade since 2009 and can't say I've noticed any holes appearing in any of my T-shirts.
 Martin W 21 Feb 2014
I've been using a DMM Maverick (which was basically the Renegade but with non-adjustable leg loops) since 2011. No holes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...