UKC

Snakes and Ladders no more?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MikeStuart 20 Feb 2014
According to the logbook: http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=137559

the bridge of death is no more? Can anyone shed any more light on what happened? I know that from about Nov/Dec 2013 the bridge was looking a bit worse for wear, but still cross-able (if you brought your big pair of balls)...

So my question is, has the bridge literally just fallen into the scree slope abover Twll Mawr?
 Dave 88 20 Feb 2014
In reply to MikeStuart26:

Honestly can't believe anyone would consider the bridge worth crossing within at least the last year! Not shocked in the slightest if it has gone, and probably for the best before anyone else pushes their luck on it.
 Jonny2vests 20 Feb 2014

Slightly OTT thread title no?
 adam06 20 Feb 2014
strong winds and slate don't go well together. routes often go down after storms.
 Tyler 20 Feb 2014
In reply to adam06:

Often? Which other slate routes have been blown down? I can only think of Illinois Enema Bandit (maybe)
 Mike Peacock 20 Feb 2014
 Jonny2vests 20 Feb 2014
In reply to Tyler:

> Often? Which other slate routes have been blown down? I can only think of Illinois Enema Bandit (maybe)

I think he's making a roof joke.
 ianstevens 20 Feb 2014
In reply to Jonny2vests:

> Slightly OTT thread title no?

Well seeing as the rest is not dissimilar to painting your house with some nice views, not really - the bridge was by far and away the best bit.

jkarran 20 Feb 2014
In reply to ianstevens:

As interesting it was as a feature it's been properly unstable for a while now, if it fell without someone attached then I'd consider that a good thing!

jk
OP MikeStuart 20 Feb 2014
 jkarran 20 Feb 2014

> Must have been remotely safe if kids were doing it.

Why must it?

It and the ground around it were in a very poor and deteriorating state for some time. In that picture the rope appears to be attached both ends (good but the ground is deeply crevassed a long way back and the 'edges' sharp). It also appears to be clipped to a sling mid span, if the bridge falls at least one end of the rope will likely fail as the bridge loads it up and perhaps the anchor(s). Perhaps at that point the person on the bridge is left with a ton or more of steel hanging from their harness or trapped under it against sharp steep scree... and that's assuming at least one strand/belay survives. I know I'm a bit of a coward but 'safe' is not a word I would use, 'death-trap' is.

jk
 remus Global Crag Moderator 20 Feb 2014

A few friends tried it last weekend. The bridge is no more! Half of it's disappeared in to the void and the other half's bent down a fair bit. Would require a serious construction effort to get it back in a climbable state.
 Jonny2vests 20 Feb 2014
In reply to ianstevens:

It's about climbing ladders and snaking through tunnels. The BoD was almost contrived in that sense.
 mfisher 20 Feb 2014

I did the bridge on November 17th 2013, it flexed ALOT and I am not surprised that it has now fallen

Matty
 Dave 88 20 Feb 2014

> Must have been remotely safe if kids were doing it.

Yeah that's the rule!

Jamie E 21 Feb 2014
I did this route 25/1/14 and the bridge was looking much worse than the picture from Sept 2013. I have submitted a photo and will post link when approved. Wouldn't be surprised it's gone now.
Post edited at 11:38
Removed User 21 Feb 2014

Wonder if it could be replaced with a tyrolean traverse. Even if it's just a rope between 2 stakes or something.
 Jamie E 21 Feb 2014
 ianstevens 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Jonny2vests:

It's partly about climbing ladders (chains) and tunnels, partly about having a lovely time watching your mates poo themselves on the bridge. The latter was the best bit!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...