UKC

good geology boooks fro MIA assessment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bigrob 22 Feb 2014
Got assessment coming up and the geology is a definite weak ara so need a bit of inspiration!!!

can anyone recommend a decent book on the subject/ Will be doing assessment in snowdonia so N wales geology more relevant!!!

cheerss

rob
 ankyo 22 Feb 2014
In reply to bigrob:

Rock Trails Snowdonia by Paul Gannon

Granite and Grit by Ronald Turnbull.

Good luck with the assessment
 KA 22 Feb 2014
In reply to bigrob: A book called 'Granite and grit' by Ronald Turnbull has many fans and suits what you're wanting.

I didn't get on with it myself but it's worth a look.

T.

lithos 22 Feb 2014
In reply to bigrob:

do you have mike raines book ? not as detailed on geology but useful section in there as well as all the plant and other stuff
OP bigrob 22 Feb 2014
In reply to lithos:

yep got that a great read butnthink i may need deeper knowledge??
In reply to bigrob:

Very interesting thread!
OP bigrob 22 Feb 2014
In reply to ankyo:

on the same point any good ideas for what to do a 10 min lecturetee on??? want to do something a bit different than the usual stuff that will be a bit more interesting fro all???
In reply to bigrob: If you're reading up on the geology, why not do a talk on the geology of one climb or walk? Something that has a couple or three features of note. You can discuss the features and how it affects what you see and walk or climb over.

T.
 lithos 22 Feb 2014
In reply to bigrob:

don't need massive geological knowledge, agree Mikes book is a summary but that is
the level, remmeber you are trying to inspire/educate clients not teach a geology course.

re talk - what are you interested in ? I did mine on PTSD and climbers very left-field for
most people ! Others in my group did Comedy in mountaineering literature, One climb
on Ben Nevis, Rescue helicopters privatisation (i think!), and some plant stuff which
was good as well. they were all good (must have been another one !) I nearly did
invasive species in snowdonia (like rhoddys etc) ....

PbyaB suggestion is sound as it will make you focus on something that you may/will
need - like maybe tryfans geology. But whatever floats your boat.
 jezb1 22 Feb 2014
In reply to bigrob:

Re the 10 min thing, do it on anything you're interested, but for the sake of everyone keep it light hearted. You'll all be stressed and tired so not some dull PowerPoint.

I did mind on why everyone should go and climb in Swanage with a little history and good photos.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...