UKC

UKC Fat Club Week 8

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andy Gamisou 23 Feb 2014
AKA UKC Curry Club.

UKC Fat Club is not a substitute for giving up pies and beer but to use in addition to such self denial as a motivational tool for all.

This training article by Dave Macleod includes a section on dietary advice from a climber's point of view:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=317

A new thread is posted each week on Sunday for anyone to jot down their previous week's sins, noting goals, successes and failures and to swap ideas.

Anyone interested in starting is very welcome but you should aim to post each week, every week, however little or much you have eaten.
By making such a regular public record of your activities and by restating your goals every week this will hopefully
improve your eating habits to help achieve your weight loss/maintenance goals whatever the level of your current blobbiness.

Link to last week's (7) thread:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=578750

Apologies to UKC Fit Club for the shameful plagiarism in this thread!
Choss: Weather to get out or not is the question. Booze still good, grub and ciggies the same. Is just cutting out alcohol not shifting the weight, or is it being replaced by food?
practicallypixie: Good with exercising, not so good food.
Ciderslider : More bouldering beasting (nice). Not so good food and drinkies. Puffin curries? Really?
waterbaby: Not feeling so well. Hope the cough and stuff is better now.
Exile: still back on the track.
Fatclimber: Another 1kg down. 5kg altogether, so pretty good I think.
Sleepy_trucker: A new convert. Welcome! Just wants to lose about a half stone. Don't worry about no partner - bouldering is the best training!
AndrewW: Forgot to post (doh). Anyway, lost a pound.

That's it.
In reply to AndrewW:
Thanks Andrew.
Despite a pie and beer yesterday (along with a sausage roll at the wall earlier in the day :-/)....I'm 2 pounds down!
Andy Gamisou 23 Feb 2014
In reply to practicallypixie:

Sweet.
Andy Gamisou 23 Feb 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

Decent week food wise, not too bad booze wise. Another pound down so weight is slowly shifting.
 waterbaby 23 Feb 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

Thank you, feeling better. Will make much more effort this week.
Last week I did a few climbs, which is a start. Managed a 7 mile walk uphill. Not weighing myself until tomorrow
 Exile 23 Feb 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

11at 10lb, which is the same. Back on it this week.

Fatclimber 24 Feb 2014
In reply to AndrewW:
A poor week on the weight loss front, all I managed was to stay constant. But a good week in general, as I went out for Beer and Curry Friday, and Beer and a Thai Curry Saturday. If I hadn't done that I definately would have lost some! Exercise is going well on days I don't go to the climbing wall, I am generally getting to the gym. Actually managed to touch real rock this weekend, was only for a few hours, but enough to remind me why I'm doing this. Diary is looking free of planned alcohol abuse for the next few weekends, so hopeful of improvement.
Post edited at 09:12
 Sleepy_trucker 24 Feb 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

Haven't climbed as much as I'd've liked but I've done more on the finger board than I'd planned to and the same with the chin-up bar (it's in a more convenient place).

I've been trying to improve my diet a bit too; nothing really greasy/fatty and desperately trying to cut down on the carbs. Towards the end of the week, I started to notice I was looking slightly thinner and was keen to see what I'd lost (this morning made a full week).

I'm down 2lbs, I've managed my target of 5cigs a day (max) 4days out of 7 and even managed to drink slightly less - happy days, let's see if I can keep the enthusiasm going this week....
In bed off sick with some virus last week.
Lost weight as wasn't eating much but realize this will go straight back on.
My wife thinks the reason I got the bug was because I have been doing too much (climbing) recently. May be true as I have been a boozy couch potato for a year or two now.
Anyway, weight loss overall is not impressive.
So stricter diet now (out with the scales)
more exercise.
Mcleod (9 out of 10 climbers) says the best exercise is climbing, even for weight loss.
not sure if this is true or not.
Also dusted off my rack and noticed how obsolete it all is.

Thanks again for the Club
Buying new gear is going to be my wt loss reward to myself.

Choss 24 Feb 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

Still with the fat club, but my mental Health has Taken Front seat this week.

Hopefully Back on Track Next week. Sorry.
 VS4b 24 Feb 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

I'm back in the club after a week away.

Didn't bother calorie counting in the week i was away but I was still careful(ish) about what i ate.

Cycling continuing to be main exercise - 90miles last week including 5000ft of peak district hills which were a shock to the system as i live in the fens! I've already done a hundred this week in two days, might even get near 200 by the end of the week!

Anyway, weight loss continuing to be going in the right direction, today post ride gave me total loss of nearly 15 pounds, but that was before having a drink so more realistically i've lost roughly a stone since Jan 6th! Have now dug out some older (smaller) trousers and shirts just because i can

In reply to VS4b:

A stone....that's really good.

I cracked and ate 7 packets of crisps yesterday. It's my go to stress "food". Back on track today though...so far.
 Fatclimber 26 Feb 2014
Have you tried pop chips? Think they are tastier than crisps and less bad ( don't think I could go as far as healthier!)
Post edited at 18:12
Andy Gamisou 26 Feb 2014

Seven packets! Streuth.
In reply to Fatclimber:

They were low fat crisps to be fair. Definitely didn't help with the climbing....went to the wall tonight and struggled to get up anything. Everything hurts!!

Hope you enjoyed your curry and beer tonight...
In reply to AndrewW:
Bit ashamed...
Andy Gamisou 27 Feb 2014

> Bit ashamed...

I'd be proud. Reminds me if the time I ate a six pack of kit kats in one go. Then had lunch.
In reply to AndrewW:

When I left my first "proper" job, there was a ppt slide in my leaving presentation entitled "two lunch Abi".....because I once ate a roast and then a curry at lunchtime.

Ironically, back then I weighed 8 stone and had a super fast metabolism.
 Ciderslider 27 Feb 2014

You shouldn't be ..... to err is to be human. Also 7 packets of any sort of crisps is pretty impressive

The bottom line is unless you are massively overweight you can vastly improve your climbing by technique (and only eating say 5 packets at a time)
In reply to Ciderslider:

True. And during the time I have been climbing (only just over a year with 6 months off for a dislocated elbow...) I have got both fatter and better at climbing, so I know how important technique is.

That said, I know girls my height, with poorer technique who are 2 stone lighter and have a better time of it (indoors in any case) (and they definitely eat fewer packets of crisps when stressed!)
 Ciderslider 27 Feb 2014

Of course it being an anti gravity sport then the (much) lighter climber will win every time - as was the case last night at our local walls bouldering comp - the winner a very good climber and only 9.5 stone - so that's why he was the only one who could make the ridiculous traverse hanging only by his fingertips - when other really good muscular but heavier climbers dropped off.
All that said 5+ indoors after such a short time is good so don't beat yourself up too much.
My mate climbs 7a+ indoors and after watching last night decided in order to keep up he would have to lose 2 stone (so that's me screwed then
Andy Gamisou 27 Feb 2014

> True. And during the time I have been climbing (only just over a year with 6 months off for a dislocated elbow...) I have got both fatter and better at climbing, so I know how important technique is.

> That said, I know girls my height, with poorer technique who are 2 stone lighter and have a better time of it (indoors in any case) (and they definitely eat fewer packets of crisps when stressed!)

I think you are a pretty similar height and weight to my wife, and she climbs up to around 6c+, probably due to good technique and steely fingers from doing it for many years. Maybe the others you refer to have been climbing longer than you? Finger strength takes a long time to develop and shouldn't be rushed I think. Whilst being slimmer is always handy, I really don't think in your case it's a major factor in your climbing yet. Your profile suggests you have done 6a, which isn't at all bad after 6 months, especially after an elbow dislocation (ouch! - my wife's had one if these too).
In reply to Ciderslider:

The best climber I know is about 9 stone, and was a gymnast for years before he started climbing. 8a in less than 2 years!

Finally managed to get to clean 5+s on lead a couple of months ago...but think that was a head thing rather than anything else! Now have the same struggle to try and lead 6as...which I suspect will take longer.

I sort of see losing weight as a "short cut" to getting a bit better. I can't really get stronger at the moment because it means putting my poor elbow through too much strain. So my only avenues are technique and being lighter.
In reply to AndrewW:

I can top rope 6as on a good day....depends on the type of route. I think you are right re other things being more important than weight....but as I just mentioned in my reply to Ciderslider...I can't focus on strength at the moment due to the elbow.

Definitely right re finger strength...I know that is something I can't rush!

In any case, my reasons for being on this thread and losing weight go far beyond the small positive impact it will have on my climbing.
Andy Gamisou 27 Feb 2014

Hope it helps you then.
 Sleepy_trucker 28 Feb 2014
I think you'll get away with the crisps.... Just this once

I don't feel I've done quite as well so far this week but I've not really "sinned", I do feel that 2lbs has re-appeared but we'll see on Monday.

I am a little disappointed in myself in that my planned trips to the wall haven't happened, before I stopped climbing (dunno why) last year, I was starting out with excersizes found in a book "the self coached climber" which was making a very noticeable improvement. The plan was to get back on with that and go twice a week, on top of fortnightly club meets but so far I've just not found the motivation. There's always next week though....

Perhaps the same book might help you p.p? No offence intended

In reply to Sleepy_trucker:

I had a good week food wise, despite the crisps. And I got down the wall twice (Fatclimber really tired me out on Monday and I could hardly get up anything on weds!). Also managed to cycle almost everywhere.

That book is good - I have it. I like the DVD that comes with it. I'm having a bit of a climbing break for the next few days. Off for a week of climbing, walking and fishing on the 8th and want to be fresh for it.

Sounds like a fun week, little bit on the cool side though. Where abouts?
In reply to Sleepy_trucker:

Wye Valley....hopefully it will be dry enough to climb! Planning on taking my dear dad out one day and hoping I can get him hooked too .
 Fatclimber 28 Feb 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

I'm having a really bad week. I'm going to give blood on Sunday as it is going to be the only way I can lose some weight!
Andy Gamisou 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Fatclimber:

Only if you give an armful
Actually starting to make a dent this week.
14st5
Getting on the wall 3 times a week
Really watching what I eat.
Not felt hungry, but definitely eating 3-500 calories less than usual.

This log does help, thank you.

Can't say I know anything about the area, except the little I've seen in passing. Hope you have a good time anyway
 Ciderslider 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Fatclimber:

Ah Steve, don't feel too pissed off mate, it's just that time of year. It will soon be spring, and hopefully when it stops raining and the sky turns from grey to blue we will all feel a bit more energised

And turn that Puffin to Nuffin
 Ciderslider 28 Feb 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

Shall we start again in May when the weather is a bit nicer and it's stopped raining ? My body is in full winter mode and I'm eating super badly (although bouldering my arse off, and feeling all of my 52 years). still the same weight, and still wishing I was at least a stone lighter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...