UKC

Climbing trouser/Jeans ....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Irishpotatos 23 Feb 2014
Morning everyone!

Now I know this has probably been done to death and more so in a recent thread http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=533439 .... so I apologies to the "old & bold" who have already commented in such topics previous!

However having had 2 pairs of TNF walking trousers split in the ass region (i'll wait patiently for the fat ass jokes ha ha) while climbing and not having a very good time climbing in jogging pants, I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions?

I've been reading some of the american climbing forums and a lot of folk have been mentioning good old Levi's ... 521 & 527's. Anyone every climbed in these? You can pick them up cheap on Ebay etc ...

I've looked at Moon, PrAna etc, all the usual climbing brands and they're £50+ for a pair! Call me a tight ass but after 2 pairs of TNF trousers i'm looking elsewhere than big brand names!

Cheers for any advice/info!
 martinph78 23 Feb 2014
In reply to Irishpotatos:

Asda jeans, £6, buy them a size too big and wear a belt.
 Tom W 23 Feb 2014

Simond from Decathlon. Mine were €30 from memory
Irishpotatos 23 Feb 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

Cheers buddy, I'll check them out!
Irishpotatos 23 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom W:

Cheers, I have at look at these to!
 mattrm 23 Feb 2014

Dunno if they're good but I've seen James Pearson wearing some:

http://www.thenorthface.co.uk/tnf-uk-en/men-s-bat-hang-denim-pants/p77691.h...

I wear an old baggy pair of cords from Howies. I reckon cords are better than jeans, they're just as durable and dry quicker.
Irishpotatos 23 Feb 2014
In reply to mattrm:

> Dunno if they're good but I've seen James Pearson wearing some:

> I wear an old baggy pair of cords from Howies. I reckon cords are better than jeans, they're just as durable and dry quicker.

Cheers buddy I'll have a look. Though as I think my days of paying over the odds for climbing trousers are done lol..
 Robert Durran 23 Feb 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

> Asda jeans, £6, buy them a size too big and wear a belt.

How anyone can stand wearing a belt under a harness is beyond me.

girlymonkey 23 Feb 2014

I have some bomb proof karrimor ones from sports direct. I presume they do a men's version too. They have some stretch in them, and I have properly abused them for a good couple of years and they are still good. I work as a freelance instructor, and these are my main work trousers. It may be these ones, although hard to tell online!
http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-stretch-fit-trousers-mens-441031?colco...
 Martin Bennett 23 Feb 2014

In the seventies nobody climbed in anything else but Levis. (until flares came along!). We all had the same hole in the back pocket made by the spike of the ubiquitous Stubai peg hammer everybody carried stuffed into the pocket.

I have 2 pairs of Levis 32" and 34" waist I'd sell cheaply if they'd fit you better than they do me?
Irishpotatos 23 Feb 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

Cheers for that! I'll have to take a trip down and check them out!
Irishpotatos 23 Feb 2014
In reply to Martin Bennett:

HI Martin! Thanks for the reply, I'd need to try some Levi's on again to see what fit I'd be these days. I remember them being a tad "snug" round the crotch & thigh area when I wore them last lol! But I'll keep your offer in mind!
 Bulls Crack 23 Feb 2014

I can't climb in jeans - too restrictive

Ronnies are the way forward!
 Al Evans 23 Feb 2014

Whatever was wrong with a pair of Ron Hills tracksters?
 Al Evans 23 Feb 2014

Actually lycra was pretty good but is soooooo out of fashion now.
Irishpotatos 23 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

> Actually lycra was pretty good but is soooooo out of fashion now.

Hi Al, Its not really a "fashion thing" for me, its more of "I don't like the material and want to wear something comfortable thing"

Cheers for the input though!
 Murd 23 Feb 2014

I looked at buying some climbing jeans....very pricey, after much pulling on of various pairs of jeans in various outlets I went for £12 primark stretch jeans...loads of stretch and comfy in the essential areas.
 Al Evans 23 Feb 2014

In the 1960's the UK climbers in the Alps were know by the Germans (who wore sensible breeches) as 'Das Bluejeans'
Irishpotatos 23 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:
The Germans are pretty sensible about most things to be fair! ha ha ...

I think Its just gonna be a trial & error game until I find something thats comfortable and that I like.
Post edited at 12:59
Irishpotatos 23 Feb 2014

I do prefer the older look, they could rock it back in the day ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Stone_Masters_in_front_of_El_Capitan.jpg

Better than Lycra & ronnies any day!
 Al Evans 23 Feb 2014

Miles Gibson stayed with me a few years ago and we had a conversation about this, he said 'how could anybody wear Ron Hills?', I said well it was the best there was at the time, and he just said 'what about linen?'.
But RH's were comfortable and so stretchy they did not impede any climbing move, they dried quickly after a soaking, and were seriously better to visit a 'normal' pub in after climbing than the later lycra fashions.
 Otis 23 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

> Whatever was wrong with a pair of Ron Hills tracksters?

I'll be honest here and say I'm firmly in the camp of 'whatever was right with Ron Hills tricksters'? ;-p

I'm sure they must have their fans, but the mere sight of them makes my teeth itch. Completely irrational I know, but I just hate them!

little bit cheaper but very good quality I've been wearing them for years without any issues.
http://www.h18orr.com/collections/technical-clothing/products/boulder-pants
 pielips 23 Feb 2014
Ron hills or troll omnies for me
 The Potato 23 Feb 2014
In reply to sam.sam.sam.ferguson:
£45 for a pair of cotton baggies? seriously?

I use either climblox jeans or crag hoppers 'bear gryllis' pants
Post edited at 18:53
 Kevster 23 Feb 2014

I've climbed in jeans since I started.
My flexibility is always the limiting factor rather than what the jeans will do.
Boot cut hipsters are my prefered.
God knows what skinny carrots would be like though.
 PPP 23 Feb 2014

I tried many different materials, including shorts (ripped them while bouldering), jeans-like army trousers (heavy, not too stretchy, ripped the threads twice while bouldering, although they have seen much of travelling before) and Montane Terra pants. Yes, they are quite expensive, but they seem to be hard-wearing and quite versatile as I am more into hillwalking rather than climbing. They are water resistant, very light and windproof (to some level).

I am glad I have discontinued Montane Terra convertible pants which are all grey and do not look too technical. The grey/black pattern looks a little bit odd and they are more suitable for outdoors.
Irishpotatos 23 Feb 2014

Thanks to all for the input . Lots to check out, try on and consider. I really appreciate all the feedback and pointers!
I wear Rab walking trousers and they are great. So good I bought 3 pairs the same. They don't do the ones I have anymore but these are prety similar I think: http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/leg-wear/atlas-pants.html you can pick them up for about £30
Post edited at 19:31
Irishpotatos 26 Feb 2014
In reply to DaveGoesClimbing:

> I wear Rab walking trousers and they are great. So good I bought 3 pairs the same. They don't do the ones I have anymore but these are prety similar I think: http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/leg-wear/atlas-pants.html you can pick them up for about £30

Cheers Dave! I'll certainly check them out! Thanks for the heads up!
 BusyLizzie 26 Feb 2014

I was half-way up my first lead, on Tryfan Bach, when my partner pointed out that my trousers (cotton jeans, not a good idea) had split. It was a very entertaining moment.
Irishpotatos 26 Feb 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Ha ha ... similar experience on an indoor wall for me with my TNF trousers on both occasions! Needless to say everyone at the wall that evening had a good chuckle!
 ben b 27 Feb 2014

Depends what you really want - you can climb in most things from nothing to a skirt if you want (although preferably not if I'm around thanks) - so make a list of what you want....

From the above it sounds like fit and durability are high on the list. You may want a pair of trousers you can also wear pretty much every day for a year without them wearing out and are smart enough that you won't get laughed/thrown out of the pub.

As usual I'd vote for Dreadnought Supertrousers from Cactus Climbing in NZ. They aren't cheap but I have just had my first minor failure when the button blew on the front (nothing to do with my expanding girth, obviously) - not bad as I bought them in 2003.

http://www.cactusequipment.co.nz/online-shop/mens-pants/wk-supertrousers/72...

I have various friends who scoffed at the price then finally caved in and now live in them. They are really, really strong, comfortable, smart enough, practical and long-lasting. So stiff when new they can stand up by themselves but after a year or two of wear they soften up beautifully for the next decade.

I can understand reluctance when you see the price though!

Cheers
b

Irishpotatos 27 Feb 2014
In reply to ben b:

Hi Ben,

They look like what I am searching for ... that is until i seen the price! Ha ha, now I know why your friends were initially reserved.
At the current exchange rate & not including P&P, the super trouser lite would be around £99 & the dreadnoughts around £115!!! Thats a little pricey but if they are the indestructible pants reviews claim they are, the 2 pairs of TNF pants I bought previous would have paid for a paid for a pair of those! So something to consider!

Thankyou for bringing my intention to this brand, I had never heard of them before!

Many thanks!
 HakanT 27 Feb 2014

I've been on the same quest lately, and I've come down on the side of low price over famous brand. I've climbed a lot in a pair of old Uniqlo jeans, but denim is a bit bulky. My solution has been to look for decent hiking trousers at discount stores. I got a pair of Craghoppers at TK Maxx for £20. They are roomy and comfortable and seem to do the job. I also found a pair of Karrimor at Field & Trek for £25. They are stretchy and ridiculously comfortable. Sure, neither pair gets me the cool climbing cred of a pair of Moon, but I'm way too old for cool anyway.
 Mark Haward 28 Feb 2014

Are you talking for wall use or outside?
For the wall any trousers that fit you with the full range of movement you are likely to use when climbing( and you are not too embarrassed to be seen in ) are fine. Being a cheapskate I usually find mine in charity shops. Had a perfect fitting North Face softshell pair for £2.50!
For outside I suggest trying on lots to find what 'suits you sir' as every person is a different shape and will tend to recommend what fits them. Personally I would spend more money on outside climbing trousers but remember not to wear them at the wall or gardening etc. Depending on the climbing you do, perhaps invest in some summer weight softshell eg; Montane / Mountain Equipment etc. Some of them are tough as old boots and will last years if you get the right fit for you.
Irishpotatos 02 Mar 2014
In reply to Mark / Alps:

Well at present it'd mainly be for indoors to get back into climbing agin then progress to outdoors! Thats my ultimate goal for the year, to spend more time climbing outdoors than in.
Though I'd like a multi purpose trouser, so i keep going round in circles! I just don't like climbing in tracksuit bottoms. I've had 2 pairs of TNF trousers and both pairs split in the ass (lol) and trying to get the right leg length is a pain as we'll. For some reason 33" inseam seems to be the common go to size for outdoor trousers!!!

Anyways I've got a lot of good suggestions, so thanks for your input. Charity shops could just be the little gold mine I've been looking for!
 ben b 03 Mar 2014

Cactus can do waist and inside leg to order

b
 Jonny2vests 03 Mar 2014
Don't waste money on fancy trousers for low commitment roadside cragging, or indoors, jeans are fine, as long as they're loose enough to move in. In some cases they actually help, like any time you need to use your knees.
Post edited at 04:01
 JEF 03 Mar 2014
Wear a pair of Regattas. Cheap, loads of pockets & quick drying.
Post edited at 12:29
Irishpotatos 05 Mar 2014
In reply to ben b:

> Cactus can do waist and inside leg to order

> b

Ha ha you're putting forward a convincing case! Its the bloody price thats putting me off!!
 JayPee630 06 Mar 2014

I've got a pair of Cactus trousers in green medium for sale if that's your size? They're supposed to be 32" waist and 32" leg, but I'd say they're a bit more than that either way.
Irishpotatos 06 Mar 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

Hello mate,

Cheers for the message! I'm a 32W x 34L. If the trousers were just for climbing then they'd probably be ok, but i'm hoping to use them as a pair of "Go to" trousers for all things outdoors. So I'd need them to be the correct size.
 JayPee630 06 Mar 2014

I can measure them if that helps. They seem a bit long on me, so maybe a 33/34 in length? They are brilliant, I have 2 more pairs in other colours, these ones just don't quite fit for some reason.
Irishpotatos 10 Mar 2014
In reply to JayPee630:
Hi Jay,

If they turn out to be a 32W X 34L, are in good condition and the price were right then I could be interested. Just letting you know, I have ordered a few pairs of different brands from sports direct to see what they are like. So I can't make a definite promise of purchasing the trousers you have offered mate.

Many thanks for the replies though!
Post edited at 10:33

If you have a local rockbottom (cotswold discount store) close then pop in. I picked up a pair of Black Diamond Dogma Pants for £35. Had them for 3 years and loads of life left in them. http://www.bananafingers.co.uk/black-diamond-dogma-pants-p-1247.html

I think the 'climbing specific pants' are expensive but worth it. They have material in the right places, are not restrictive and durable. It's worth spending the extra if you can afford it. Although some of the moon cotton stuff (and other cotton based pants) are less hard wearing!

Hope you find something that suits either way!

CurlyStevo 10 Mar 2014

decathalon do some nice stretchy hard wearing soft shell like trousers for 40 quid. I've used mine a lot for a year and they are still in great condition.
Irishpotatos 10 Mar 2014
In reply to crag_hopper_Jay:

Cheers buddy! The search continues ha ha!
 Cake 10 Mar 2014

Am I missing something here? Indoors you want something fairly cool. Lets face it, legs don't easily get cold. So in fact for all my climbing just about i wear very thin, baggy polyester general sports trousers from decathlon. They will have been about £6-10. When it is really cold I wear thicker sports trousers. Other people wear leggings underneath.

All the other trousers i have worn have got scuffed at some point on the arse or knees because of rough rock, whether linen, cotton or jeans. My current pair will be the same, but they have lasted me 3 years already I reckon.

I'm afraid I consider anyone in Moon or Rab trousers to be either posing or gullible.

Cake

PS and what's with all this 'pants' terminology? I wear mine underneath my trousers
Irishpotatos 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Cake:
Cheers for the comments - Gald to here you wear you "pants" underneath your trousers! Its probably best for all concerned. I too should follow that example. Unfortunately I like most others have spent too much time with or listening to some american friends/colleagues/fellow climbers! Please accept my sincerest apologies regarding the terminology!

As for missing something, I'm not sure what there would be to miss! I've just asked for some advice from fellow climbers, that have most likely years more experience than myself.
I'm simply looking for a pair of "trousers" (regardless of brand) that are equally at home on an indoor wall as they would be on an outdoor crag in colder conditions without spending an absolute fortune or having to buy 2 different pairs. I thought that was pretty simple? I shall endeavour to be more precise in my future posts!
Post edited at 14:30
 Jonathan Emett 10 Mar 2014

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-50-trousers-grey-id_8241487.html

very comfy, flexible, all that jazz. and £10.
 Cake 10 Mar 2014

Sorry if I seemed to be angry. My rant was not against you. You were clear about what you were asking. I am also against paying over the odds for things unlike many other climbers, it seems. Yes, if you can afford it a perfect pair of trousers may be great in all conditions, but it will cost a lot.

As I said, one really thin pair of cheap trousers does for almost all my climbing- sea cliff, mountain, outcrop, sweaty limestone quarries and indoor wall. The only real natural asset I have is very flexible legs, so I certainly use all the space that trousers will give me. I also wear them walking and to the pub. Getting clever layers for your top half is where your money will be well spent. Or a good next pair of shoes or whatever.

Seriously, for most of the twelve or so years I have been climbing, I have simply worn my most recent pair of trousers that became too scruffy. No pair of trousers looks great with chalk all over them, eh? Recently I have decided that man-made fibres are good because they dry, but that is all.

I hope this helps,

Cake
 Cake 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Jonathan Emett:

That's what I'm talking about. Although, as someone else said, you don't want to have a belt. Elasticated would be better.
 GridNorth 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Cake:

> Am I missing something here?

You could be. I was always led to believe that cotton was a poor choice for the mountains and jeans in particular are very bad especially when wet. Indoors and cragging I agree, it's just a matter of taste and comfort but there is no denying that more expensive trousers last longer and look and feel better than a cheap pair. Climbing is my hobby, no it's more, I have no objection to paying money for something which is such a large part of my life. I have a pair of Mammut trousers that cost over £100 but I have had them for 20 years and they have been used regularly. When I looked at a cheap pair of Ron Hills recently(hangs head in shame) they were over £30 so no longer a cheap option.
Irishpotatos 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Cake:

Not a problem at all my friend! I just thought it was some rather witty banter!
Irishpotatos 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Jonathan Emett:

> very comfy, flexible, all that jazz. and £10.

I'll definitely be giving those a look!! Cheers Jonathan.
 Cake 10 Mar 2014
In reply to GridNorth:
I'm genuinely interested: how do you think your trousers feel better than mine? Mine aren't at all sweaty as they're so thin and if it's literally freezing I have lined pair of trousers. Are yours good when its freezing and also when its hot? I admit I'm not expecting mine to last 20 years, but then, they cost a tenth of the price. I'm against throw away culture, but I don't feel like I'm being wasteful.
Post edited at 16:53
 GridNorth 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Cake:

The cut and the stitching tends to be better. The fabric around the in-built gaiters can be particularly problematical on cheap trousers, in fact they seldom come with that as an option. The fabric is soft shell which in it's self is more expensive but performs better through a wider range of temperatures as well as keeping a reasonable amount of moisture out. In order to do this they sometimes come with ventilation zips, all adding to the expense. I wouldn't wear them on their own in a heavy downpour but they are surprising water resistant and dry quickly. I've never felt the need to carry over-trousers so that's a saving.
 Jonathan Emett 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Cake:

they do have a belt but it is redundant as the waist is also elasticated. you could just chop it off. the last two pairs I bought had some threads loose but they just needed snipping. I find that as soon as I sit down on a sharp rock I rip trousers, regardless of their price, so why pay more? they last six months of continual use and then I buy another pair.
 Rob Parsons 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Cake:

> ... I'm afraid I consider anyone in Moon or Rab trousers to be either posing or gullible ...

About a year ago, a news article about a burglary at the 'Moon' warehouse appeared on this site - see: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67938

A quote therein, from the owner, read as follows: 'This is a massive blow to us since it's not just our spring collection that's gone but a lot of hard work ...'

I didn't remark on that at the time since, under the circumstances, it might have seemed in very bad taste. But, since enough time has now elapsed, I draw your attention to the phrase 'spring collection'.

'Spring collection'! 'Collection'!? What is this: are we interested in actually going climbing? Or just having a f*cking fashion parade? ...

Anyway ... I hope the OP finds some nice duds that fit!
 ben b 11 Mar 2014

Hey potatoes, Voice of Temptation here...

http://www.cactusequipment.co.nz/online-shop/mens-pants/wk-supertrousers/72...

They're on sale

b
 marsbar 11 Mar 2014

What is it that you don't like about jogging bottoms?
 Cake 11 Mar 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

Thank you. I am informed. I am not persuaded yet, personally, but maybe in the future I will be.
Irishpotatos 11 Mar 2014
In reply to marsbar:

I have Just never been a fan of them, even in my younger days I very rarely if ever wore them! Apart from a few occasions when playing rugby in the colder months.
Irishpotatos 11 Mar 2014
In reply to ben b:

Ha ha ... I think you must be getting a referral fee!! ha ha
 GridNorth 11 Mar 2014

I was speaking to some guides in Cham in the 80's and they were convinced that Ron Hills, the blue ones with the red stripe, were issued by the BMC to all UK climbers. Men should be banned from wearing them, they are positively indecent.
 GrahamD 11 Mar 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

> Men should be banned from wearing them, they are positively indecent.

Hah ! I defy your ban and all your modern dandy clothing. Red stripe Ronhills are still THE best option in average UK mountain conditions.

GridNorth 11 Mar 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

OK but not in front of the kids though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...