UKC

OI NEWS: Mammut Q&A - what would you like to know?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 25 Feb 2014
Mammut Logo, 3 kbUKC Advertising Manager Rob Greenwood will be visiting Mammut HQ in Switzerland later this week and taking a selection of questions to ask their design team - what would you like to know?

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=6165
One day to go, if anyone has any questions feel free to post them here and I'll take the five best out to Switzerland with me.
 JLS 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKC:

Where can I get a Stratus belay jacket that you were doing a few years back? Mine is worn out and I can't find something similar in the shops to replace it...

(Sorry I don't have anything meaningful for you)
 TobyA 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKC:

Is there anyway of telling whether ABS backpack systems make people more inclined (or even less?) to take risks in avalanche terrain?

How long is it reasonable to expect dry treatments on ropes to lasts?

The El Cap is a nice helmet, but do foam helmets like the Rock Rider provide superior protection to most glancing blows (to the side and back of heard for instance) than hybrid helmets like the El Cap that only have foam between the top of the wearers head and anything it might hit?
 Jack Geldard 27 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

How thin can ropes go? Are we about to enter an era of 7mm or below ropes for certain types of climbing?

Jack
 Mr Fuller 27 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

Do you make any products that you consider 'perfect'?
 martinph78 27 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:
Where do you see the future of insulation?

Do you foresee a "stretch" insulation (along the lines of primaloft rather than a fleece-type insulation), or perhaps a synthetic that is truly equal to, or better than, down (in terms of warmth:weight)?
Post edited at 22:19
 Morgan Woods 28 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:
Could you please let us know why Mammut have discontinued the Extreme backpack range. I have been using my 45L version for more than a decade and it will probably last a decade more:

http://i57.tinypic.com/10pspcy.jpg

These things are indestructible and total icons, so why stop making them? They might be a little heavy compared to some of the lighter packs but they compensate in increased durability. The newer Trion packs seem to be about the same weight anyway and don't look as cool.

Single closure, fixed lid, bombproof, great colours and "Extreme" written down the side.....what more do you need?
Post edited at 01:00
 Morgan Woods 10 Mar 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

any updates on this?
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Hi Morgan,

The article will be going live later this week, just making the final touches.

Rob

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...