UKC

Music like Biosphere, but warmer?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 25 Feb 2014
I recently bought Patashnik and I'm liking it a lot. But I find it a bit cold. Can anyone recommend similar music, by Biosphere or anyone else, that's warmer, happier, maybe even uplifting? I'd also prefer it to be as ambient as possible. Less beats, or at least slower beats. Asking a lot I know, but thanks in advance if anyone replies.
 Ramblin dave 25 Feb 2014
In reply to aln:

Boards of Canada would be an obvious choice - probably start with Music Has the Right to Children.

Also Plaid, Future Sound of London, Aphex's ambient stuff (Selected Ambient Works 85-92 and Selected Ambient Works 2), early Autechre...
 Flinticus 25 Feb 2014
In reply to aln:

Been awhile but maybe 'atmospherics' by James Bernard.
 Matt Reed 25 Feb 2014
In reply to aln: for mid 90's sounds try any of the following - athough not all the tracks are slower or more ambient, there's some warm, uplifting and ambient tracks to be heard!
System 7, Spooky (gargantuan) EBI (zen album), Technova (Tantric steps), Optica, Bandalu, Aphex Twin (selected Ambient works), any Mixmaster Morris...
OP aln 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

That looks interesting. Any idea where I can buy a physical copy cheaper than the £54 Amazon want?
 The Norris 25 Feb 2014
In reply to aln:

Marsen Jules 'Les Fleurs' is lovely. That's my main recommendation.
OP aln 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> Boards of Canada would be an obvious choice - probably start with Music Has the Right to Children.

I've always loved Roygbiv although it's too short, from an old NME compilation. Finally got round to buying MHTRTC last year. I like it but a bit disappointed. It's kinda 'bitty', too many short tracks and I don't think the album stands together very well as a piece of music. From what I've heard of Campfire Headphase it might be more what I'm looking for.
 Tall Clare 25 Feb 2014
In reply to aln:

Try Brian Eno's Music for Airports.
 The Norris 25 Feb 2014
In reply to aln:

A bit more neo classic than ambient, but this is a lovely album too

http://www.discogs.com/Peter-Broderick-Machinefabriek-Blank-Grey-Canvas-Sky...

I recommend investigating both Machinefabriek and Peter Broderick if you have time.
OP aln 25 Feb 2014
In reply to The Norris:

> Marsen Jules 'Les Fleurs' is lovely.

I'd never heard of Marsen but after a couple of Google listens I think that's exactly what I'm looking for. Just ordered Les Fleurs
OP aln 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

> Try Brian Eno's Music for Airports.

Waiting for that to drop through my letterbox this week.
 JH74 25 Feb 2014
In reply to aln:

Stellardrone! Atmospheric fluffy uplifting synthy warmness.
In reply to aln: One of Marconi Union's record would be up your street; in fact they all might be. Try Beautifully Falling Apart for starters.

T.

The Norris 25 Feb 2014
In reply to aln:

Glad you like it! Another of his albums Herbstlaub is also a firm favourite.
OP aln 25 Feb 2014
In reply to JH74:

That's not so musically interesting but could be useful. I'll investigate further.
OP aln 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

They're now on the list. Their track Weightless has apparently been been scientifically proven to be the most relaxing piece if music ever made.
OP aln 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Discovering they collaborated wuth Jah Wobble I'm more interested than ever!
In reply to aln: I knew of that, and applaud the PR people that dreamt it up.

It's bollocks, of course. It's not even the most relaxing music they've made, never mind anyone else.

T.
In reply to aln: Indeed. I almost suggested that, but the tracks that work best are, almost paradoxically, the more up-tempo ones. Worth a listen though.

T.

Flinticus 25 Feb 2014
In reply to aln:

No. Bur nice to know how much my vinyl is now worth!
OP aln 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

> No. Bur nice to know how much my vinyl is now worth!

Ha!
 Blue Straggler 25 Feb 2014
In reply to aln:

I only know Biosphere from a few tracks in the late 90s e.g. the one on the Levi jeans ad but I'll take a punt that "quique", the first album from seefeel, would do the trick. I do recommend this album a lot on here, to the point where you might think I am trying to be funny, but I'm honestly not! It is ambient and warm and not very "beaty".

And I am partial to Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks by Brian Eno, Roger Eno and Daniel Lanois.
OP aln 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> I only know Biosphere from a few tracks in the late 90s e.g. the one on the Levi jeans ad but I'll take a punt that "quique", the first album from seefeel, would do the trick

Googling suggests it might do the trick but do I spend £13 on music I've never heard?
In reply to aln:

It's on Spotify.
In reply to aln:

Original (9 track) album £5.16 + £1.26 p&p
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000024B1P/ref=sr_1_4_olp?s=music&...

£13 gets you the remastered Redux version with loads more tracks and some remixes.

True fans like me obviously have both and then STILL go and spend £30 on a remastered 20th anniversary vinyl reissue. Ahem
OP aln 25 Feb 2014

> It's on Spotify.

Isn't Spotify evil?
In reply to aln:

> Isn't Spotify evil?

Possibly, yes. So, er, I dunno....YouTube?

Too Pure, the label that did the original release and the 2007 "Redux", no longer exists. Does that assuage any guilt?
OP aln 25 Feb 2014

Just ordered it. Better be good or we'll have words. Seems Pretzel Logic is still in my basket. Not sure if I should follow through on that
In reply to aln:

Loscil - Strathcona Variations, or anything of his by that matter.
 TobyA 26 Feb 2014
In reply to aln:

Did you know Biosphere (Geir Jenssen) is pretty handy climber, mountaineer and ski mountaineer. He's from Tromsø which would account for the cold feeling!

I think he maintains the superb Northern Playground website http://www.lyngen.name/

butteredfrog 26 Feb 2014
In reply to aln:

Banco de Gaia - Last Train To Lhasa

Might fit the bill?
In reply to TobyA:

Have you heard the Tibetan field recordings from his Cho Oyu trip? They're pretty awesome if not.
pasbury 26 Feb 2014
In reply to aln:

To add to some excellent suggestions already:

Global Communication
Ultramarine
Hypnotone
Higher intelligence Agency
Luke Slater
Woob
 The Lemming 26 Feb 2014
In reply to aln:
Quite a few people gave me some tips here
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=576238&v=1#x7650442
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=563953

I found Nigel Stately to be quite relaxing too. You can downland most of his stuff too.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=nigel+stately&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.m...
Post edited at 17:09

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...