UKC

Downloading movies and TV shows from DVD onto iPAD

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jussy 13 Mar 2014
Off on holidays with a toddler and wanted to download some of his DVD's of Postman Pat etc. onto the iPad to keep him entertained on the plane.

I tried putting them onto my laptop and then onto the iPad but I can't seem to get it to work (not sure why not)

Any tips from UKCers? Is there a good app to use?

I am based in Ireland and iTunes downloads for tv shows is fairly limited and expensive, plus we have lots of DVD's already so would prefer not to buy new stuff from iTunes…

Thanks!
 rogersavery 13 Mar 2014
In reply to jussy:

www.handbrake.fr

encode dvd to mp4 and copy to iTunes and sync
 rgd1977 13 Mar 2014
In reply to jussy:

AVPlayer from the app store plays anything I've ever tried on it.
 Freddie 1 14 Mar 2014
In reply to jussy:

I have a toddler and had to do the same for flights to Sri Lanka last year. There's so much content on YouTube, all you need to do is go to the App Store and download one of the specific YouTube downloaders like 'PlayTube' for free. This then lets you download everything you want from YouTube and it displays it in a toddler friendly format.

It was an absolute lifesaver for us.....
 Bob 14 Mar 2014
In reply to jussy:

It may have been sorted out by now but last year there was a licensing problem with AC-3 audio in several apps. AC-3 is an audio standard owned by Dolby and they were asserting their rights and asked Apple to remove any app that wasn't paying them a royalty.

What this meant was that you had to rip the DVDs making sure you used AAC (another audio coding standard) rather than AC-3. You also had to make sure that you didn't update the apps as the updates didn't have AC-3 decoding so you'd get films showing but no sound.
OP jussy 14 Mar 2014

Thanks a million for all the helpful replies. Much appreciated!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...