UKC

Dewent Dambuster Challenge - Help wanted

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martyn Maltby 16 Mar 2014
Hi there.

This year's famous Derwent Dambuster 10 mile Challenge on May 10th will be the 9th one, and it grows in popularity every year. This year the event was full within 6 hours of the entries opening, and has raised around £3500 for Challenge Cancer Through Adventure, a Peak based charity; (http://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/item.php?id=65868)

Unfortunately, our sponsors for the last 8 years have pulled out. In the past they gave us loads of rucksacks for prizes, in return for which they had their name plastered all over our website, and on the numbers of all 200 runners.

We have managed to scrape together a couple of prizes from generous individuals, but we have tried in vain to get anyone else interested in helping us, by providing a couple more prizes, and to pay for the numbers (numbers cost about sixty quid)

If we can't get this help, then the prizes and numbers will be paid for by the charity, Challenge Cancer Through Adventure.

Anyone? If you think you can help, please contact me via dambuster@challengecancer.org.uk

http://www.challengecancer.org.uk

Cheers
Martyn Maltby
 muppetfilter 16 Mar 2014
In reply to Martyn Maltby:

Hi Martyn, have you got into contact with local companies like Alpkit,Terranova , Mountain Equipment, Rab , Buffalo .
I am sure that companies of repute like these would be only happy to help a charity like yours.
OP Martyn Maltby 16 Mar 2014
In reply to muppetfilter:

We have spent/wasted weeks approaching many Peak based gear companies and gear shops, some have declined, which is fine, but some are just keeping us hanging on, promising to get back to us, as they have to take it to management etc.

We haven't approached a couple of the companies you mention, but we are finding the process takes so long, and we're running out of time now, so I thought this approach would hopefully get us a result quicker.
Thanks for your suggestions
 johncook 16 Mar 2014

Try Awesome Walls, Foundry, Edge, Works. They are all trying to compete in a small area and so may look forward to the extra publicity.
OP Martyn Maltby 17 Mar 2014
In reply to suggestions:

Thanks for the suggestions. As I explained above, approaching a succession of many companies individually has been time consuming and unsuccessful. Time is tight now so I was hoping someone from an interested company might spot this post and get in touch.

Cheers
Martyn
 Fredt 17 Mar 2014

What sort of prizes are you looking for, do they have to be outdoors gear?
OP Martyn Maltby 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Fredt:

Well, the two prizes we have are worth about £50 each, so something of lower value would suffice for second prizes.
The prizes would need to be not gender or size specific, we don't know who will win them.

Anything a runner would appreciate is fine, even a couple of £25 gift vouchers would be great.
(As well as a promise to pay for the numbers.)
 nigel n 17 Mar 2014

You could do worse than try Severn Trent who own the land surrounding the reservoirs. They run their own events in support of Water Aid but might be happy to be involved in something more local.
 Fredt 19 Mar 2014

I can't believe that no Peak companies have seen this and not been interested.
 James FR 19 Mar 2014
In reply to Fredt:

+1, seems like a good marketing opportunity for next to nothing, very surprising.
OP Martyn Maltby 21 Mar 2014

A last desperate plea for some organisation to get some great cheap publicity and help a brilliant charity.
OP Martyn Maltby 24 Mar 2014

Another last desperate plea for some organisation to get some great cheap publicity and help a brilliant charity.

This year's famous Derwent Dambuster 10 mile Challenge on May 10th will be the 9th one, and it grows in popularity every year. This year the event was full within 6 hours of the entries opening, and has raised around £3500 for Challenge Cancer Through Adventure, a Peak based charity; (http://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/item.php?id=65868)

Unfortunately, our sponsors for the last 8 years have pulled out. In the past they gave us loads of rucksacks for prizes, in return for which they had their name plastered all over our website, and on the numbers of all 200 runners.

We have managed to scrape together a couple of prizes from generous individuals, but we have tried in vain to get anyone else interested in helping us, by providing a couple more prizes, and to pay for the numbers (numbers cost about sixty quid)

If we can't get this help, then the prizes and numbers will be paid for by the charity, Challenge Cancer Through Adventure.

Anyone? If you think you can help, please contact me via dambuster@challengecancer.org.uk

OP Martyn Maltby 28 Mar 2014
Another last desperate plea for some organisation to get some great cheap publicity and help a brilliant charity.

David Cowley 28 Mar 2014

Have you tried cotswolds? They were fantastic with us on our strongarm challenge 2013
In reply to David Cowley:

> Have you tried cotswolds? They were fantastic with us on our strongarm challenge 2013

Was that a particular branch, or head office?

It sounds like you haven't had much success. Getting stuff for free is hard work. Companies won't contact you and offer it.

If approaching shops you are going to get more luck with a big chain than an independent. Either speak to the manager or who ever does the marketing. It is probably better to speak to the marketing manager at head office.

Find the name of the marketing manager or the sales and marketing director. Either by ringing up the company or using Google/LinkedIn. Either ring them up (they are much more likely to answer first thing or last thing) or send them an email (ring up and get their email Address). In the email explain exactly what you want and why they should support your challenge, but also what they will get in return.

Go Outdoors' head office is in Sheffield. Try them using my tactic above.
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

We've had a couple of companies contact us as a result of this today, but nothing sorted yet, so still open to offers of help.

I can't really say who we're talking to, until we have a deal, and then I'll shout their good name out all over these forums, and I wish I could similarly name all those that have rejected us!
OP Martyn Maltby 01 Apr 2014

bump

This is the last week we can arrange anything, the trophies need to be ordered and numbers have to be printed, with or without a sponsor's name.
Post edited at 08:35

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...