UKC

neoshell?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 blackcat 18 Mar 2014
Hi to owners of mammut gipfelgrat neoshell jacket,ive heard its beefier than the other neoshells on offer,how does it compare to the others i.e proshell etc.cheers
 BnB 18 Mar 2014
In reply to blackcat:

Strictly for high altitude and winter. It's very heavy. Reassuringly so, mind, but would be far too warm for many applications
OP blackcat 18 Mar 2014
In reply to BnB: Thanks ive just tried one on and immediatly reminded me of the 90s 3layer gortex jackets,a lot stiffer than proshell but as you say everything you need for winter alpine.

TobyA 18 Mar 2014
In reply to blackcat:

> a lot stiffer than proshell

Surely that will depend on what type of proshell? I've not even seen that Mammut jacket but I have now reviewed two heavy duty Marmot neoshell jackets and liked both of them but they're winter jackets to my mind - too heavy and bulky to carry that much.

BnB 18 Mar 2014
In reply to TobyA:
The Gipfelgrat is a step beyond the Zion/Nabu. I tried it on in a Swiss gear shop last summer and nearly had to be revived, it was so damned burly!!
Post edited at 19:13
 TobyA 18 Mar 2014
In reply to BnB:

The weight of the Zion is continually misstated - I weighed mine for the review - 680 grams so only 100 grams less than the Mammut's stated weight.
OP blackcat 18 Mar 2014
In reply to BnB:Im not slating it ,its robust and fits well but it feels like the old bergaus exrteme 3 layer gtx old version,so i imagine BnB is right in that its suited to alpine summer/winter at high altitude.
 Siward 19 Mar 2014
In reply to blackcat:

What's wrong with heavy shell layers? Old 3 layer goretex was (is) perfectly wearable- have we all become so weakened by age that a jacket weighing the same as a bag of sugar is just too heavy?

All marketing if you ask me...
OP blackcat 19 Mar 2014
In reply to Siward:Im glad you like them,i have the berghaus extreme trango 3 layer jacket size large would you like to buy it,i have got used to the softer fabric of proshell,the old goretex feels too cumbersome now,hence the manufacturers are making better lighter jackets now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...