UKC

Family Friendly Climbers/Club in North Lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MeMeMe 18 Mar 2014

We are moving to just north of Penrith and are keen to get out and explore the climbing there (outdoor and indoor).

Is it worth joining a club up there to meet some climbers?
I was thinking the Eden Valley Mountaineering Club or the Carlisle Mountaineering club although I'm open to suggestions.

I say 'we' as myself, my partner and our 7 year old are all climbers although our 4 month old is not...

Do clubs let children come on meets or are they usually over 18 only?

If no club will have us are there any climbers up there who already get out with their families?
 Carolyn 18 Mar 2014
In reply to MeMeMe:

Eden Valley MC's membership form suggests they take under 18s with a parent. I'm not sure if they actually have any younger members, though (but I've only seen them at evening wall meets, which might be different people to outdoor daytime stuff).

Eden Rock (the bouldering wall in Carlisle) is really good for kids, and likely to be a good place to find other families who climb.

Outdoors, some of the Eden sandstone is probably fairly kiddy friendly, but Head End Quarry (also known as Sandale Quarry - between Carlisle and C'mth) is a well used venue.

As you know, we're a bit further away, but happy to play some time!
OP MeMeMe 18 Mar 2014
In reply to Carolyn:

> Eden Valley MC's membership form suggests they take under 18s with a parent. I'm not sure if they actually have any younger members, though (but I've only seen them at evening wall meets, which might be different people to outdoor daytime stuff).

Anyone from the Eden Valley or Carlisle club post on here and want to comment?

> Eden Rock (the bouldering wall in Carlisle) is really good for kids, and likely to be a good place to find other families who climb.

Eden Rock looks good, we're currently regulars at the Climbing Depot in Leeds which has a similar setup and that works well with kids.

> Outdoors, some of the Eden sandstone is probably fairly kiddy friendly, but Head End Quarry (also known as Sandale Quarry - between Carlisle and C'mth) is a well used venue.

How's the South Crag of Castle Rock of Triermain?
I've been perusing Lakes guide books to find ones with relatively short walk ins and easy single pitch routes.
All the multi-pitch stuff looks great too but not so great as family venues!

> As you know, we're a bit further away, but happy to play some time!

We might take you up on that, although not until we are settled in.
We're mental busy at the moment, should calm down a bit once we've actually moved I hope!
In reply to MeMeMe:

I'm a lapsed EVMC member from its very early days and still occasionally keep in touch with some of the original members, though it's years since I climbed or lived in the area.

They were always a friendly and welcoming bunch, and I don't imagine they've got any less so. Most of us had small kids way back when I was active in the 70s and 80's and they were always welcomed.

Of the Sandstone, Armathwaite is reasonably kiddie friendly at the base of the crags -- though they do need to be well supervised as the river is pretty fast flowing! There are also a couple of easier classic routes that the 7 year old will probably be able to manage. Scratchmere Scar has also got some decent easier routes.

Headend Quarry is probably the most kiddie friendly venue.

Whilst the South Crag at Triermain has some easier routes, from memory belays at the grassy top are adequate but not the best in the world.

dan bulman 18 Mar 2014
i'm in the carlisle mountaineering club. we are a pretty active bunch. meet thurs nights and sometimes tues if weathers good, or penrith wall if its crap. also weekend meets from day meets to full w-end. from the lakes, wales, peak, and scotland inc 3 winter meets up north etc.
theres also a facebook page which you can view but only post when a member. this way folk keep in touch and arrange climbing days as and when folk are free.
eden rock do great kids clubs.
headend is great for kids and picnics.
to join its £18 per year i think.
i know a few of the eden valley lot who also seem pretty active and a nice bunch of folk.

http://www.carlislemc.co.uk/
 dan bulman 18 Mar 2014
In reply to MeMeMe:

as for kids, theres no rules to not being allowed to take them along. i just dont take mine as its nice to get a bit of peace!
 Tom the tall 18 Mar 2014
In reply to MeMeMe:
I introduced my kids to climbing at Church crag(?) near the diocesan youth centre in St. John's in the vale. Super easy level walk in, staples for rigging a top rope glued in at the top, quiet and sunny.
Edit- here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=16853
Post edited at 22:18
OP MeMeMe 19 Mar 2014
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

> Of the Sandstone, Armathwaite is reasonably kiddie friendly at the base of the crags -- though they do need to be well supervised as the river is pretty fast flowing! There are also a couple of easier classic routes that the 7 year old will probably be able to manage. Scratchmere Scar has also got some decent easier routes.

> Headend Quarry is probably the most kiddie friendly venue.

Thanks, I'll add these to the list!

> Whilst the South Crag at Triermain has some easier routes, from memory belays at the grassy top are adequate but not the best in the world.

Ah, okay, now you mention it I think the guidebook said something about the belays not being the best. I'll take a look myself before we all rock up for a day's climbing.
OP MeMeMe 19 Mar 2014
In reply to dan bulman:

Hi Dan,

actually now I think on it I used to know a few Carlisle club members, although this was many years ago now.
I climbed with Tim and Jane (now living in Coll) and remember Steve the Window Cleaner. Probably met a few others too but it was years and years ago now!

Looks like Eden Rock is a great place to go and also Head End quarry has been recommended by everyone so we'll try there too!

Also it sounds good that kids are fine. I can understand you not taking yours along to get some peace, I do a mixture of days some with the kids and some without as you need a bit of time to devote to yourself sometimes!
OP MeMeMe 19 Mar 2014
In reply to Tom the tall:

> I introduced my kids to climbing at Church crag(?) near the diocesan youth centre in St. John's in the vale. Super easy level walk in, staples for rigging a top rope glued in at the top, quiet and sunny.

Thanks tom,
somebody else emailed me to recommend climbing here so we'll definitely take a look and see what it's like. So much new rock to explore, it's great!
 Carolyn 19 Mar 2014
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

> Whilst the South Crag at Triermain has some easier routes, from memory belays at the grassy top are adequate but not the best in the world.

I imagine it'd be fine for the 7 year old (far less danger of actually needing to rely on the belay than when you've got a heavy bloke seconding for you), but it wouldn't be the easiest place to take the 4 month old - the approach is steep grass, and I don't really remember any flat bits. The Diffs/Vdiffs tend to meander a bit and not be desperately well protected.

Much more of a trek, but Eskdale granite would be worth a day out on a nice day, particularly if you hunt down the details of the small, low crags Eskdale Outward Bound use (possibly not all in the guidebook) - with the added attraction of La'al Ratty steam trains.

Again, bit of a drive, but down the M6 to Kendal area and there are small limestone edges east of the M6 that are very suitable to let kids run wild if you find the right ones.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...