UKC

Tents around CIC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Colin Dyer 19 Mar 2014
Anyone ever had any issues leaving tents with kit around the CIC area at the Ben? It would seem like a suitably safe place to leave gear without anyone pinching anything but I just like to check, never done it before.
 Lamb 19 Mar 2014
In reply to TheHurting:

Plenty do.
OP Colin Dyer 19 Mar 2014
In reply to Lamb:

Thanks, that's all I needed to hear.
 Nigel Thomson 19 Mar 2014
In reply to Lamb:

> Plenty do.

As in, plenty of people have issues or plenty of people camp?
I've camped there on many occasions problem free.
 george mc 19 Mar 2014
In reply to TheHurting:
With the current windy conditions your tent will be f*cked if you pitch it there. That bit is a wind tunnel - hence the rather large wind turbine. It's also noisy.

I'd go for somewhere with more shelter. Anyways why go to the effort to hoof a tent and all that poo in then camp by a building and wind turbine? Remote mountain experience and a' that jazz? Plenty of places with a bit more shelter.

TBH nowadays no place is safe. I had a couple of chaps knock on the door of the CIC a few years back asking if we had there tent. Someone had lifted it and all their sleeping kit etc from a spot just below the 'Gultch' Hence I would try to find somewhere a bit further away from the main walking routes or a bit more secluded.
Post edited at 09:16
OP Colin Dyer 19 Mar 2014
In reply to george mc:

I won't be pitching a tent right next to the CIC for exactly the reasons you mention. When I say "CIC area" I suppose I'm talking about the whole North Face approach area really.
Not very clear on my part, sorry.
 climber34neil 19 Mar 2014
In reply to TheHurting:

Plenty of people camping further down towards the top car park on tbe far side of tbe burn last week and even one tent pitched in the top car park
 Mike Lates 19 Mar 2014
In reply to george mc:

We called a chopper once, came outside & warned the campers about its immenent arrival. Despite the downdraft & engine noise the distinct snap,snap,snap of poles could be heard shortly before moaning from the campers who'd thought they knew better.
 str1nger 19 Mar 2014
In reply to TheHurting:

Depending on snow conditions, there is a large slab a little higher up corrie na ciste giving some better wind protection and less noise from the wind turbine and the running water.

Might be worth investigating
Tim Chappell 19 Mar 2014
In reply to TheHurting:
Myself, I'm old and soft. I'd pretty well always rather pay the price of the walk-in every day to sleep in a nice warm bed in Torlundy every night. It's not like it's such a bad walk-in; not like it used to be...

But if I was going to camp up there, I'd probably look around the lochan in Coire na Ciste, or even higher, and cut out *all* the walk-in, not just the walk-in to the CIC. (Assuming, that is, I planned to climb in Coire na Ciste.)
Post edited at 13:16
 Nic DW 19 Mar 2014
In reply to TheHurting:

It's fine (save massive avalanches coming down like the one that stopped 50 m short of the cic a few weeks back- rare but be sensible).

That aside if your tent is well secured and can stand the wind and potentially drifting snow i'd be amazed if you have problems. Did once loose half my pegs into the either on the latter but otherwise fine!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...