UKC

Rock shoes resoled by llanberis resoles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John sealey 20 Mar 2014
Anyone had their rock shoes resoled by the guy in llanberis???? Thoughts???
cheers
jon
 Nordie_matt 20 Mar 2014
In reply to jon22:

Yeah I had pair of vapour V's resoled with C4. He done a brilliant job and the shoes regained some of their tightness. I'll definately give him a shout when my instincts are in need of some TLC
 CurlyStevo 20 Mar 2014
In reply to jon22:

one of the best resolers around IMO. By far the most consistent rerand job and also at keeping the shape of the original boots.
 Mick Ward 20 Mar 2014
In reply to jon22:

Yes, Torquil has done a few for me. Great jobs and service. Not met him but he seems a really nice guy. What more could you ask for?

Mick
 Murd 20 Mar 2014
In reply to jon22:

Had a few pairs done now now, very good job.
 robthered 20 Mar 2014
In reply to jon22:

Can't recommend him highly enough.

Sent in my pair of original Pinks. Was skeptical about the resole because they were so perfectly fitting and sensitive. Well, they still are and climbed also identically, with better edging due to new rubber, straight 'out of the box'. Fast turn around too.

Rob
In reply to jon22:

Had mine done over a year ago and they're still going strong.
 torquil 20 Mar 2014
In reply to jon22:

I've met me and I'd agree that I am a really nice guy, after I've had my morning coffee anyway.

The trick to getting a good resole (apart from sending them here) is to send them in early, before the rand needs doing. Not that a re-rand will mean a bad job, just catching them early will be better.

That is more important on some shoes than other as the construction of the shoe makes a huge difference in how well they keep their shape - as a general rule Scarpas and Sportivas hold their shape well and can be quite worn and still come out well, 5.10s and Evolvs are much worse as they tend to go really floppy.

Oh, thanks for all the good feedback everyone, its keeping me busy!

torquil 20 Mar 2014
In reply to jon22:

Oh, I've now had someone redpoint a couple of 8c's in my resoles and an E7 onsight (where both the climbers had my resoles on) thats just the ones I know of - don't listen to anyone who says that resoles are just for bumbling at the wall!
 fire_munki 20 Mar 2014
In reply to jon22:

This seems the place to ask, Muria VS what rubber for best feel/grip would you recommend and if its the C4 do you know when you'll get some more in?

Don't mind if they wear out a bit quicker as a resole is a damn sight cheaper than a new pair even at a resole every 9 months.
OP John sealey 20 Mar 2014
In reply to jon22:

Cheers ALL.....
 Chris_Mellor 20 Mar 2014
In reply to torquil:

Brilliant reply!!!
 Luke Owens 20 Mar 2014
In reply to jon22:

Torquil's resoles are by far the best i've had done, highly recommended! Really fast service too.
 Derek Jamieson 20 Mar 2014
In reply to jon22:

Another vote for Llanberis resoles, he's done a really great job on my Scarpa vantages.

Derek
 jim jones 20 Mar 2014
In reply to jon22:

Yep another vote for Torquil, my Evolv Bandit's were even better than the original sole after re-soling with 5.10 stealth. And also a pair of Anasazi Blanco's which had a very poor job done were re-worked and are now my "best" shoes.
 torquil 25 Mar 2014
In reply to fire_munki:

> Muria VS what rubber for best feel/grip would you recommend and if its the C4 do you know when you'll get some more in?

C4 is by far the stiffest (and therefore least sensitive) rubber there is. I've been out of stock for 9 months now and I'm not holding my breath for it any time soon - 5.10 just haven't been bringing it into Europe at all for a while, apparently they need it all to make their shoes!

I'd normally put XS Edge on Miuras but the XS Grip is softer and would give you better feel (and yes it would wear down quicker).

The difference in softness/feel/wear rates on all the rubbers is really obvious, especially when you handle the rubber as a sheet off the shoe. The difference in grip is much less so and I'd find it hard to say one is "grippier", thats a lot more subjective.
 john mc c 25 Mar 2014
In reply to jon22:
Torquil did a mint job on a pair of Scarpa approach shoes for me and then resoles on 2 pairs of 5.10 greens. The greens were great afterwards felt like they had tightened up a bit somehow, way better than when they were at the end of the original soles.
Will certainly use in preference to anyone else in the future, and obviously will recommend.
Post edited at 21:43
 jim jones 25 Mar 2014
In reply to john mc c:

> Torquil did a mint job on a pair of Scarpa approach shoes for me and then resoles on 2 pairs of 5.10 greens. The greens were great afterwards felt like they had tightened up a bit somehow, way better than when they were at the end of the original soles.

I know exactly what you mean, my theory is it's because you have a perfectly moulded to your foot upper and of course a top quality sole pulling it all together. My Blanco's felt exactly as you describe.
 Mr Moac 27 Mar 2014
In reply to torquil:

Got my Miura V.S's back today,tried them out on the wall.Brill,at least as good as new. After poor resoles with two other well known resole companies where my shoes came back as upturned wellies I am more than pleased, will be sending more shoes your way.Just for future ref can you resole Futura's?
Many thanks Bob
Climber Durden 28 Mar 2014
In reply to jon22:

He's great. Pics of the wonders he worked with my sharmas here:
http://climberdurdensgearreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/llanberis-resoles.h...
 torquil 01 Apr 2014
In reply to Mr Moac:

> .Just for future ref can you resole Futura's?

yes I can do futuras/speedsters, I'll get some info on the website about it as I get asked this about once a week. I can keep the edglessness (?) but don't keep the full wrap-around toe piece, they end up looking more like a solution. There's photo of a finished one on my Facebook page here

https://www.facebook.com/LlanberisResoles/photos/a.660122467382592.10737418...

The only shoe that I don't do at the moment is the Boldrini Apache 5 as its just too much work to be worth the time/money, you're better off sending them back to Boldrini.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...