UKC

MS 365 vs Office 2013

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JamButty 26 Mar 2014
Hi, we have multi user 2007 Office at home at the moment, but are starting to see more and more 2010+ files, so its looking like an upgrade soon.
2010 now seems to default direct to 2013, but I've noticed now 365 is in existence.
I've done a bit of research, but would appreciate views on what the best option is and the pros and cons.

Many thanks
JB

Removed User 26 Mar 2014
In reply to JamButty:

Unless you're pirating go for Libreoffice. Free and you support OSS, and it does everything office can do while using the same file extensions so you won't need to convert anything.
 BigBrother 26 Mar 2014
In reply to JamButty:

Are 2010+ files incompatible with 2007? I thought 2007 introduced the ooxml format that is still used?
 Jonny2vests 26 Mar 2014
In reply to JamButty:

Yeah, isn't 2007 forward compatible?
 Jonny2vests 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Removed User:

> Unless you're pirating go for Libreoffice. Free and you support OSS, and it does everything office can do

If only that were true.

Removed User 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Jonny2vests:

Feel free to elaborate.
 cezza 26 Mar 2014
In reply to JamButty:

As a desktop application Office 365 and Office 2013 are the same thing.

Office 365 is a subscription product that might include the current (2013) office desktop applications, hosted email, sharepoint server. You also continue to receive updates to the desktop product throughout the lifetime of the subscription (Office 2013,14,15.....etc). If the subscription expires, so does the product license. The standard version allows you to install 1 license on up to 5 devices. There is a new home version that allows you to install it on 2.

Office 2013 is just a desktop product. Buy once. Install Once.

Cezza.
 Jonny2vests 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Removed User:
If you're just writing letters and shopping lists, then look no further. Problems arise when you try to switch between word and LO.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no big word fan, my first choice would be latex actually, but I have to tow the line. I work in a Linux only based office, and we all have virtual boxes, mainly for word because libreoffice (4.2) simply isn't there yet. If I open any reasonably complex word formatted document in libreoffice, the chances of it looking the same are almost nil and the chances of things like tables, cross references, numbering and bibliographies working the same are nil.

If you didn't have to handle word documents from outside sources, and were sure that everyone you send your word format libreoffice document to, opens them in libreoffice, you'll be fine. But that's not reality for most.
Post edited at 16:33
 kathrync 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Jonny2vests:

> Don't get me wrong, I'm no big word fan, my first choice would be latex actually, but I have to tow the line. I work in a Linux only based office, and we all have virtual boxes, mainly for word because libreoffice (4.2) simply isn't there yet. If I open any reasonably complex word formatted document in libreoffice, the chances of it looking the same are almost nil and the chances of things like tables, cross references, numbering and bibliographies working the same are nil.

I am in much the same situation at work and run a Windows VM for the same reason.

To add to the above, basic spreadsheets transfer between MS Office and Linux ok, but anything that is formatted for printing or has embedded macros won't transfer properly.

Powerpoint slides are also a PITA to transfer as the formatting gets screwed up.
 Jonny2vests 26 Mar 2014
In reply to kathrync:

> Powerpoint slides are also a PITA to transfer as the formatting gets screwed up.

Roger that
OP JamButty 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Jonny2vests:

Hmmm, I'll have to check thanks....

Ta for views so far!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...