UKC

Goretex and pertex repairs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andrew Holden 27 Mar 2014
Has anyone any advice on repairing some goretex trousers with a small tear in them and a pertex belay jacket with two small tears in it. Thanks in advance. Andy.
 TobyA 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Andrew Holden:

> Has anyone any advice on repairing some goretex trousers with a small tear in them

How small? If really small I'd sew it up and then put seam grip over it. Slightly bigger, then patch it. I got spinnaker tape as everyone raved about it, but I've found it rather rubbish at staying stuck down. If you paint seam grip around the edge it does stay stuck on. Friend have used the goretex iron on patches with great success, I just always balked at the price!

> and a pertex belay jacket with two small tears in it. Thanks in advance.

Sew them up. Stick some duct tape over if you want the hard man image.

martinph78 27 Mar 2014

Seam Grip and McNett Tenacious Tape works well for me. Quite discreet and seems to stay put (and no need to sew anything!).
 thedatastream 27 Mar 2014

Another vote for Tenacious Tape here
 Dr.S at work 27 Mar 2014
In reply to TobyA:

for pertex I've sewn and slathered seam grip over the top, worked well so far.
 crayefish 27 Mar 2014
In reply to thedatastream:

That the stuff in the red tube? If so it has been holding a jacket and trousers of mine together for a few years now... and they were BIG tears.
 thedatastream 27 Mar 2014
In reply to crayefish:

Red tube that screws apart

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Accessories/Repair/Sticky-Stuff/Tenac...

I've had a tube for about 3 years now and I'm slowly working my way through it. Great stuff. I tend to put duct tape on the inside layer and this on the outside layer.
 crayefish 27 Mar 2014
In reply to thedatastream:

That's the stuff. My oldish skiing jacket has a triangular 4 inch tear... I used that tape and 3-4 years on it is still stuck down firmly (though a few corners of the tape come off) , despite having gone through the wash a few times. Quite incredible.

Gore-tex, etc:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/hill-skills/how-to-repair-torn-waterproofs/650...

Pertex: spinnaker/Tenacious tape

Round the corners of any tape you apply to help stop it lifting.
 Siward 27 Mar 2014

How about the iron on seam sealing tape applied on the inside? Seems to stay stuck down.
OP Andrew Holden 27 Mar 2014

Cheers for the info everyone.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...