UKC

Disabled rock climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
EmmaFitz21 27 Mar 2014
Hello everyone!

If there are any disabled clients out there who love to participate in rock climbing then please complete my questionnaire - its for my dissertation.

It is completely anonymous

Here is the Link:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/56QSPGH
 marsbar 27 Mar 2014
In reply to EmmaFitz21:

I don' think the word "client" is appropriate.

andyathome 27 Mar 2014
In reply to marsbar:

'People with any disability......'
andyathome 27 Mar 2014
In reply to EmmaFitz21:

'Clients'. 'Love'. 'Participate'.

How about - 'Are there any climbers with disabilities who'd be willing to answer a few questions:?

And why does it focus on climbing 'at a centre'? Climbing does occur outdoors as well.

I hate myself. Dissertation time is so much 'UKC slags questionnaires' negativity. But I also feel that there really needs to be more scrutiny of what is put out via SurveyMonkey
andyathome 27 Mar 2014
In reply to marsbar:

> I don' think the word "client" is appropriate.

I don't think that there is any such word as 'don'' if I was to be really picky.
 Ffion Blethyn 27 Mar 2014
In reply to marsbar:
In my experience certain areas of the NHS use the word client rather than patient as it's kinder, friendlier and better for the morale of people who aren't going to get better.
Post edited at 21:29
 marsbar 28 Mar 2014
In reply to andyathome:

Fair point. Typo from being tired and tiny touch screen phone.
EmmaFitz21 28 Mar 2014
In reply to EmmaFitz21:

Didn't mean to cause any problems guys!
To be honest I've been working really hard on this dissertation so obviously those endless nights of working has taken its toll!

As Ffion mentions it is a bit more friendlier hence why i used 'client', didn't mean to upset anyone.

The dissertation is for both indoor and outdoor climbing but my dissertation pays close attention to accessibility and perceived barriers. With money being one of the top barriers i felt i needed to explore this further!
 woolsack 28 Mar 2014
In reply to EmmaFitz21:

> Didn't mean to cause any problems guys!

> To be honest I've been working really hard on this dissertation so obviously those endless nights of working has taken its toll!

TBH, whatever you put there would be someone on here that would take issue with it. That is just the nature of this place

EmmaFitz21 28 Mar 2014
In reply to woolsack:

Thank you

It wasn't meant in a nasty way - this research project is meant to promote the different types of disabilities that participate in rock climbing. Its going to advertise how everybody is the same.
I thought i was doing a good thing here
Lio 28 Mar 2014
In reply to EmmaFitz21:

You are doing a good thing and ignore some of the ill-informed and picky advice you have been getting. You are actually quite right to write about a'disabled people or disabled participant' as you have on your survey. This is preferable to 'people with disabilities'. I'm sure you understand the difference which is why you expressed it the way you did.
 David Alcock 28 Mar 2014
In reply to EmmaFitz21:

A bit indoor orientated. Also there seems to be an implicit bias towards mobility. I also found it patronising. Good luck.
 marsbar 29 Mar 2014
In reply to EmmaFitz21 and others

I am being picky because it is important. Client is fine in an nhs environment. This isn't. The whole point of leisure activities is to enjoy yourself and forget about day to day stress. When I go to the doctors I am a patient or a client. When I go climbing I am not. I am me. The word client in this context implies that people who have a disability are full time clients, in other words it sounds like you think they need someone looking after them at all times and can't do anything for themselves. This attitude can be disabling. Can I suggest you google and read about the social model of disability. My reasons for mentioning my views were to be helpful. I am sorry if it didn't come across that way. If you are posting in general about stuff, fair enough. If you are reasearching and studying something then you should want to get it right and be open to constructive critisism.

marsbar 29 Mar 2014
In reply to Lio:

There is no clear resolution to the debate about disabled participant vs participant with a disability. There are clear aguments for each which are down to personal preference in the end. To suggest otherwise is patronising as is your "I'm sure you understand the difference" comment.
EmmaFitz21 29 Mar 2014
In reply to marsbar:

Well if you read the rest of my dissertation it highlights the points you have said. I understand the difference and i've also re-posted the link due to this discussion but in a much more 'friendlier' way. I have a relative with learning difficulties so upsetting anyone was obviously not on purpose. I am completely open to constructive criticism and I've taken your feedback and acted on it.
 marsbar 29 Mar 2014
In reply to EmmaFitz21:

Thank you. I know you didn't want to upset anyone and I hope I didn't upset you. I should have explained better in the initial post.
Lio 29 Mar 2014
In reply to marsbar:

It wasn't your commment about 'client' that I was having a go at. I agree with you on that. I don't agree with your comment about the lack of distinction between saying 'disabled person' and 'person with disabilities'. A problem with this kind of forum and discussion is making assumptions about the knowledge and experiences of the people you are discussing with. The reason that 'disabled person' is preferred over 'person with disabilities' is because the former reflects the social model whereas the latter suggests that the disability is within the individual.
Lio 29 Mar 2014
In reply to marsbar:
> To suggest otherwise is patronising as is your "I'm sure you understand the difference" comment.

I read Emma's form of words as a deliberate choice. I don't see how that is patronising.

Can I suggest you google and read about 'patronising'?
Post edited at 19:26
 marsbar 29 Mar 2014
In reply to Lio:

Oh I am sorry, as a person who happens to have a disability I thought I had the choice of how to describe myself. To me, disabled person sounds like disabled is the main part of the statement, the first thing anyone needs to know. I have a disability, it isn't the main thing about me. I am a person first and I happen to have a disability.

It is something I put up with, not something that defines me.
 JuanTinco 30 Mar 2014
In reply to Lio:

> You are doing a good thing and ignore some of the ill-informed and picky advice you have been getting. You are actually quite right to write about a'disabled people or disabled participant' as you have on your survey. This is preferable to 'people with disabilities'. I'm sure you understand the difference which is why you expressed it the way you did.

As Emma states she is exploring some of the perceived barriers to accessibility and climbing. For some people this may be the choice of words others use to describe their participation in the sport, as discussed there is no right or wrong answer to what language to use.

We have to accept posting on a public forum we will get opinions that do not match with ours, this does not make them picky or ill informed. The key to a good discussion is pausing, and writing carefully our responses. From what i've read here, people have expressed genuine comments that Emma has taken on board and hopefully improved her research.
Lio 30 Mar 2014
In reply to Jonshef:

Yes, that's a fair comment. I just felt that Emma was trying to do her best in an area where, as you and Marsbar said, there is no clear answer, and she seemed to be getting a bit of flak. But I'm probably guilty of reading more into those replies than was the case, so apologies if I caused any upset.
EmmaFitz21 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Jonshef:

I certainly have taken all your comments on board by re-posting this but in such a way that shouldn't upset people or cause any problems . In my defense i'm on a tight schedule so needed quick replies (in terms of my questionnaire). My dissertation highlights the above statements everybody has mentioned so hopefully it'll make people more aware of terminology and perception.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...