UKC

Easy check list for peak bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ashley1_scott 30 Mar 2014
So me and a few friends are heading up to the peaks to do some bouldering at the end of April for 1 whole day and 2 half days, I'm looking for any recommendations for boulder problems under F5 as this will be our first visit there and don't want to push too hard (it's a 4 hour trip home so want some ticks). We have all climbed outside on sandstone so know it is totally different from inside, but to give you an idea myself and one other do F6b indoors, one does F6a and the other person can manage F5+ on a good day.
I have the peak bouldering guide but just want to know of easy areas to head for.
Thanks
 Jon Stewart 30 Mar 2014
In reply to ashley1_scott:
Best areas are

- Burbage South boulders: loads of slabby problems, not high with good landings, mainly around F5. No particular problems stand out tbh.

- Cratcliff and Robin Hood's Stride: loads of problems across the grades, beautiful spot, lots of different styles from slabs, aretes, roofs, traverses, mantels, etc. Particular problems not to miss include Jerry's Arete on the RHS (scary but easy, about F5) and the nice pocketed slab at Cratcliff Top (about 5 on the left and right aretes, about 6b up the middle no matter what the book says).

- Froggatt is quite good for easy bouldering. There are a couple of decent boulders on the top of the crag, then there's Tody's Playground which is superb at those grades, and Joe's Slab.

Stanage Plantation is the most famous and does have some alright-ish problems around the F5 mark, but generally it's intimidating with high problems, bad landings and hard grades.
Post edited at 13:26
 David Alcock 30 Mar 2014

Burbage South Boulders +1.
 Sherlock 30 Mar 2014
At stanage the Lone Boulder has some good easier stuff,albeit samey.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...