UKC

setting up as a route setter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hello.

I have decided to be a freelance route setter as I climb at a lot of London Walls.

I have asked the head route setter at The Castle if I can help route set.

I will also ask at the other walls I climb in.

How competitive is the route setting world?

Is route setting a good way of bringing money in?

Bye

Savvas
In reply to Bouldering Ben:

Hello Ben.

Read the article just now.

It suits me down to a t!

It will ask at Mile End tomorrow to set up some problems for free then at The WestWays on Wednesday.

Thanks

Bye

Savvas

Blizzard 30 Mar 2014
In reply to Bouldering Ben:

They make £100 - £200 a day?

But you don't set new routes every day , perhaps reset once a month or so, work at one place I imagine is irregular, not to mention competitive, there must be many people wanting to route set at the London walls surely.
 Kevster 30 Mar 2014
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

Savvas,

Generally to route set at commercial walls, you need to have extensive experience at quite a high grade. Being a high profile individual also helps.
Maybe consider this, good luck.
 MischaHY 30 Mar 2014

I respect your enthusiasm, but unfortunately as previously pointed out it is an intrinsic requirement of route setting that the person doing the setting is climbing at a high standard themselves (Or has climbed at such a standard in the past), in order to provide the level of challenge and complexity that a good quality route requires. Most route setters I've come across boulder in the region of V9 upwards.
In reply to Kevster:

Hi Kev.

So do you think I should try to climb hard problems?

What grades are we talking about?

Thanks

Savvas

crayefish 30 Mar 2014

Dude... just try and enjoy your climbing and actually get lots under your belt. Nothing wrong with having ambitions of E1 etc in your first year (always nice to push for a goal, even if it's never reached in the end) but get a lot experience before trying to be a professional in the climbing world. Climbing is meant to be fun so just enjoy it rather than make a living from it (at least atm).

I suspect that to be a route setter (or at least a half decent one), you need to be able to do more than just climb grades higher than the ones you set. I can't imagine it is easy to come up with new routes all the time and make them interesting to climb. I bet the setters at castle or WW for example all have many years experience of climbing very regularly.
In reply to MischaHY:

Hi Mischa.

That is real shame....

I did try a V10 at The Castle one time.

Do you think I can do high grade problems?

Thanks

Bye

Savvas

Kelcat 30 Mar 2014

Hi Savvas, most commercial walls will operate to quite a strict set of criteria, simply from a health & safety point of view. It might be worth asking to see their guidelines & then seeing if you have those skills or can get them through training.
Alternatively there is a Route Setting Association, but I'm on my phone so can't post a link.
Good luck,
Kelv.
In reply to crayefish:

Dude....

I agree with you but my family keep asking when are you going to get a job or when are doing to do a course?

I did the first level of this REALLY BORING admin course and I have a place on the second level but I do not want to do it as I will not be able to cope with the work load and it will be just as boring or even more boring.

So I am thinking of working within the climbing world - what else could I do?....

I have no outdoors experience atm so I can not write or lecture.

I do not have any qualifications - not even CWA!

I agree with you about the experience of the WW and The Castle Route Setters.

I think without things like 4x4s, gym work and drills I can do E1 5b/5c but with them maybe E4 or even E6.

Bye

Savvas

In reply to Kelcat:

Hi Kelcat.

I am going to Mile End tomorrow and I will ask them about criteria there.

The same goes for all the walls I climb in.

Thanks.

Savvas
 crayefish 30 Mar 2014

Sometimes you have to do stuff that's not so fun to be able to do stuff you want to do in the future. If not admin then something else... but working in the climbing/outdoor industry requires experience. And you can't shortcut that or learn it quickly in a course as with some other things.
 MischaHY 30 Mar 2014

Savvas, high grades are something that come with a tremendous amount of effort and dedication, along with a good heap of luck in having the genetics that suit climbing. Realistically, this is most likely more effort and time than you will want to put in, and involves consistent training and motivation over extended periods of time (Years.)

I personally think that you should look into job opportunities within branches of the BMC and similar organisations, maybe even the national trust. I have no doubt that people will be touched by your enthusiasm and will be able to help you to find some work in the outdoors, even if it is only volunteering to begin with. You'd be outdoors, getting your hands dirty and meeting likeminded people - sound good?

I think the time may have to come to say, 'Ok, maybe I can't climb at a really high level right now, and maybe I can't jump straight into high level jobs, but I can still do my part for the climbing community and all outdoor enthusiasts.'

I've included a few links for you to check out, and maybe fire off some emails. Trust me, you won't regret it. The last link especially is worth looking at as they are specifically targeting and have funding for under-represented demographics, which you with your dyspraxia would qualify for. Hope this helps.

All the best!

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/volunteering-for-the-bmc

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/get-involved/volunteer/

http://www.nationaltrustjobs.org.uk/other-ways-in/passport-to-your-future#....
In reply to crayefish:

Hi.

I know....

It sucks

I do not mind working in an outdoors shop - I have even applied to work in FaceWest in The Peak District.

Also I have applied for a temporary receptionist role at PYB and a Part Time Instructor role at The Harrogate Climbing Centre.

Bye

Savvas
 Lord_ash2000 30 Mar 2014

You need years of experiences in climbing both indoors and outdoors to have enough of an understanding of what makes a route work and flow. Also it helps if you climb pretty hard to as its near impossible to set quality routes or boulder problems very far outside your own ability level. The reason is that if you can't climb a route you're not able to piece together the moves and understand what a move will be like having done the crux etc. And if you can't do the moves, (particularly with boulder problems) How can you know if its because its a crap / impossible move or just well outside of your ability.

Go climb for 10 years or so, ideally a high level and get a range of experiences across many styles, indoors and out then maybe think about being a route setter.
In reply to MischaHY:
Hello Mischa.

Thanks for the links and the info.

Thanks

Bye

Savvas
Post edited at 00:10
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

I am screwed then!

Nigel Thomson 31 Mar 2014

Hi Savvas,

In this case you are screwed, but you're not alone. Loads of people dream of combining work and the outdoors but the reality is it doesn't happen for a lot of folk. It does for some though.
Years ago I worked as an instructor at Edale youth hostel in the Peak. I thought it was going to be great combining my passion for rock climbing with work AND getting paid for it. The reality was somewhat different. Shite wages, working in bad weather, screaming kids and any climbing I did was easy grit routes at Windgather. NOT the eutopia I had dreamed of.
Route setting is a pretty niche roll and to be blunt it's probably never going to happen for you so I'd forget it mate. Concentrate on getting out with good mates and just go climbing, take your man up on his offer and get out with CurlyStevo, they'll keep you right.
If you're desperate to work get yourself down the job centre and ask for action. With your disability, you're the type of punter they should be helping in to work. But hey, the summer is on it's way and I'd be trying to get climbing as much as I could rather than working bud.
In reply to Nigel Thomson:
Hi Nigel.

For money I am fine.

It is just people putting pressure on me.

I would rather be climbing a lot and getting good at it.

Even my gear placements are bomber according to the AMI instructor.

I could just blog about my trips - I have one coming in Birchen Edge.

Would you read my blog and go to a lecture of mine?

Bye

Savvas

Post edited at 01:45
 Nigel Thomson 31 Mar 2014

I'd certainly read your blog buddy. I imagine it would be interesting.
 jkarran 31 Mar 2014

> I am screwed then!
>

You're not screwed Savvas but you need to be patient and build experience, it takes years for even those who are gifted with a sporty mind/body. Trying hard problems doesn't get you up them, there really is no substitute for starting with the easy stuff and putting in thousands of hours solving problems, developing skills and strengthening your body. When you find yourself stood under an inspiring V10 project with a load of V7s 8s and 9s under your belt and some time on your hands is when you'll get up it. 15 years of climbing and I'm nowhere near that position but the upside is the journey has been great.

MischaHY's post is potentially very helpful suggesting a way into the professional side of the climbing/outdoors world and a part of it you can potentially access while you develop your climbing skills.

Don't you have a science degree, are you not interested in a technical job or going further with that and keep the climbing as a hobby for now? Have you spoken to a careers advisory service? Your old uni probably has one you can access.

I hope you get something positive out of your route setting inquiries but I think you will find you're lacking the climbing experience required to make it pay.

jk
 Choss 31 Mar 2014

I wouldn't worry about working in the 'Industry' Savvas. You Say youre ok for money, so the best thing you can do is get out climbing.

I Look forward to reading about your Trip to Birchen Edge with Nath. Dont worry about the Grades either, start easy and just enjoy it.

Next school holiday ill be picking my daughter up in Brighton again. If you can get Train From London to Tonbridge Wells, i can pick you up at train station, and we could grab a few hours top roping somewhere like Harrisons if you like? Or Nearest station to stone farm rocks.
 seankenny 31 Mar 2014

> I would rather be climbing a lot and getting good at it.

Get off the internet, get a bus/train from London to Hathersage. Walk to crags. Climb on them.

The blog would be interesting.

I don't mean to be rude, but lecture? Really?

CurlyStevo 31 Mar 2014
> Hi Mischa.

> That is real shame....

> I did try a V10 at The Castle one time.

> Do you think I can do high grade problems?

> Thanks

> Bye

> Savvas

Trying a problem and climbing it are completely different. Your best climbing grade (doing the climb in one go start to finish with no rests) is F5 and V1 isn't it?

Realistically you're just not is a position to route set professionally but you may find one of the walls will let you have a god setting bouldering problem (for free).

I agree with the other posters that you should aim to get a career in something using you degree or consider doing another degree / training in an area you can get a job you want.

Have you ever tried computer programming?

Post edited at 13:38
 Ramblin dave 31 Mar 2014
> I think without things like 4x4s, gym work and drills I can do E1 5b/5c but with them maybe E4 or even E6.

It's a bit of a digression, but if you're interested in getting a job in the outdoors or even getting on well with other climbers you need to stop talking so much about what you might be able to do or what you think you can probably do or what you've tried and not managed or what you're hoping to do at some unspecified point in the future, and stick to what you actually have done successfully.

If I was going out climbing with someone and they seemed to be inflating their achievements beyond what they've really done, I'd start to worry about how else they might be overselling themselves, and whether I could even trust them to do basic safety properly. And that's the sort of thing that has the potential to really stifle your ability to get out climbing.

Edit: sorry, that came out sounding a bit blunt in retrospect. But I'm really hoping it's advice that you can take on board, because it really is important.
Post edited at 13:42
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Hi.

What's wrong with lecturing?

Sav
In reply to Nigel Thomson:

Hi Nigel.

Thanks.

That is supercool beans.

Bye

Sav

In reply to jkarran:

Hi jk.

I did my degree a long time ago and it was tough looking for a job in the field as most required experience, another degree or a higher degree than mine.

I am no longer looking for a job in that field.

Some good news about Mile End....

The Health and Safety regulations their are pretty relaxed and you do not need to climb a certain grade.

Bye

Savvas

There is nothing wrong with lecturing, but what are you going to lecture about? What experience do you have? What new and amazing adventures have you been on that would inspire others and convince them to come to your lectures?

Once again you've made some utterly outrageous claim that you will never achieve.

Take your head out of the clouds, get a job anywhere and go climbing.
 Choss 31 Mar 2014

Gotta disagree with you there bud...

keep your Head in the clouds, and out the Gutter. Live for today.

My offer is open :-D
In reply to Choss:

When he goes climbing with you I will retract my comment
 Choss 31 Mar 2014

> When he goes climbing with you I will retract my comment

Dont Know what you Mean? I made a genuine offer to Climb with our savvas on the southern sandstone?

Hi.

I will lecture once I have some more experience.

I was not talking about doing high E grades now but at the end of the year.

My cousin in law is a banker but he hates his job and is always down.

For the moment, I would rather just climb and write about my adventures.

Bye

Sav
In reply to Choss:
I'm not saying you didn't, it's just I highly doubt he will actually turn up, for the last few months all we have heard about are his big claims. I am starting to believe he doesn't actually climb at all and is just on massive wind up.
Post edited at 18:29
 Choss 31 Mar 2014

If he Arranges to meet me for a Session he will Turn up, cos ill be on a 350 mile Round trip and wont be chuffed with a no show!

So as Sav says, cool as Beans
 Quiddity 31 Mar 2014
Hi Savvas,

I think keeping a blog would be great place to start with a lot of your ideas. It would get you into the habit of writing a bit every day, and if you are writing about things you are doing and can see the progress you are making, it might help keep you motivated and focused on your goals. Also if you ever want to get into public speaking, you would already have some material put together.

Not all blogs/lectures need to be about wads climbing gnarly routes. Often, those are a bit dull. I for one would be really interested to read a thoughtful blog (or perhaps even go to a lecture!) about your experiences of climbing with dyspraxia, for example, if you are willing to share.

You might not make any money out of it but it might be a place to start, I have found keeping a blog is a useful way of keeping my thoughts together, even if you don't actually show it to anyone.

Good luck with it.
Post edited at 18:40
 mark s 31 Mar 2014

why not show is your blogging talent and write about your last climb.
gives us all an idea of what to expect.

bye
mark
 Michael Gordon 31 Mar 2014

>
> I think without things like 4x4s, gym work and drills I can do E1 5b/5c but with them maybe E4 or even E6.
>

I won't respond to that, but will say that when you come out with stuff like that no wonder folk think you're taking the piss!
 Oceanrower 31 Mar 2014

Not sure Mile End are going to be too chuffed that you think (and state on a public forum) that their Health and Safety Policy is "relaxed"!
 Choss 31 Mar 2014

Savvas... do you wanna Climb? Nath will meet you at Birchen... ill meet you for top roping on southern sandstone... just dont bail on me... if you say youre gonna be there, be there.

fair enough yeah?
In reply to Oceanrower:

Hello.

I asked a route setter there....

They know me very well.

Bye

Savvas
In reply to Choss:

Hello.

I do want to climb.

I will meet you for some toproping.

Bye

Savvas

Missed the point entirely.

If I knew you well and told you I had weird nipples (I don't this is just an example) I wouldn't want you posting it on a public forum which can be read and seen by anyone.
 Oliver Smaje 31 Mar 2014

> I don't

That's what someone with weird nipples would say!
In reply to Oliver Smaje:

Ok, maybe they're a little weird
In reply to seankenny:

Hello sean.

I can only boulder and highball without a partner.

Bye

Sav

Kevster 31 Mar 2014

I like this thread, shows many of the things in human nature which are good.

Savvas - good luck in your endeavors. Job wise, someone told me something when I was first looking for a job. It isn't always true, but for most it is, from what I have seen in work places:

"You get paid for doing things which suck, and pay for doing things which are fun".

The challenge is in proving this statement wrong.

seankenny 31 Mar 2014

> I can only boulder and highball without a partner.

Well, I don't think you're quite at the highballing stage, but you can go bouldering, so get to it lad!
In reply to seankenny:

Hello sean.

I will.

I was stating the only things you can do without a partner.

What is outdoor bouldering like without spotters?

Is it scary?

Bye

Savvas
 Jon Stewart 31 Mar 2014

> What is outdoor bouldering like without spotters?

It's fine.

> Is it scary?

Only if you choose to climb problems on which you end up back first above spikey boulders. If you go somewhere like Burbage South boulders, then most of the problems aren't scary (although there's still the odd one).

> What is outdoor bouldering like without spotters?

> Is it scary?

Dear Savvas, when you go to Birchens Edge, you will find some lovely easy bouldering with nice landings on the boulders on top of the edge. The boulders are named after Nelson's Ships of the Line n the Battle of Trafalgar. They're not very high, good holds and shouldn't be scary. Take a bouldering mat, and I hope you have a good time.
Generally, outdoor bouldering is as safe or scary as you want to make it, it's up to you.

bye

Paul

Skip 31 Mar 2014

Patience young Savvas, patience. It can take a long time to get anywhere in this climbing game (or maybe that's just me). It can be hard work, sometimes it feels like one step forward, two steps backward (is that just me again?).

" You just have to keep on doing what you do. It's the lesson I get from my husband; he just says, Keep going. Start by starting". Meryl Streep ...

Take up the offers, same applies from me if you ever get down to Devon/Cornwall.
 paul mitchell 31 Mar 2014

Route setting can be very strenuous work,and there is a fair chance of getting repetitive strain injury if you do it for years.
 cha1n 31 Mar 2014

I would have thought that so long as you're solid at the grade you want to set at then a wall would have no problems with a low grade climber route setting?

Obviously experience at the grade would be required but I'm sure someone that climbs 6A's all the time would set a better 6A than myself as in all honestly I can't really tell the difference between a 6A and a 6B anymore...

I had some spare time a while back and asked my local wall about route setting and they seemed to need more people to set the low grade climbs than the harder stuff as it was more common for mid-high grade climbers to want to get involved with setting (at my wall at least).
In reply to mark s:

Hello mark.

Are you refering to my trip to Plas Y Brenin?

In reply to Skip:

Hello.

I will take you up on your offer.

One thing though.....

I have never been taught abseiling....

Someone is going to teach me it at The Mile End Wall though.

I have a friend who lives in Cornwall and The West Country is very beautiful.

Bye

Savvas

In reply to Jon Stewart:

Hello Jon.

Thanks you for that.

Is it worth getting a guide book for bouldering?

Bye

Savvas
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Hello paul.

I have some of those easy boulders problems in my wish list.

I think Nath is bringing his - but I might bring one just in case.

Bye

Savvas
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Hello dave.

Okay then....

What do you mean by basic safety?

I know how to build anchors and belays, tie a re-threaded figure of eight knot, belay indoors for toproping, remove and place gear.

I have taken in your advice.

Bye

Savvas
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Hi.

Yes it is.

I did my degree many many years ago and finding work in that field was really hard. As most jobs required either experience, another degree or a degree higher than my third class one.

I do not plan to go back to university or do anything similar.

I have not tried computer programming.

I am not interested in the computing field.

Bye

Savvas

I cannot work out if you're naive, ill-informed, or just totally hatstand.
 Nath 01 Apr 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

He is neither..

He is Savvas

Nath
 Nath 01 Apr 2014

Savvas

Do you have any room at home/garage/garden to build a little climbing wall, even if it is only a couple of panels.

You could then experiment with different routes at home in your spare time.

I know you can pick up different holds from various places like ebay or even old holds from your local walls. I have even seen the textured panels for sale on ebay.

It might give you an idea of how hard/easy it is to pick up as a skill and if you find out it is quite difficult then the worst case is you have a little training area at home. If it is something you enjoy you can work out the combinations at home before transferring to the larger walls. Feels like a win win.

Nath
 Choss 01 Apr 2014

hi Savvas.

How does weekend of 9th to 11th of May Sound to you for a Session on the southern sandstone? Ill be Taking my Daughter camping down that way that weekend. Can pick you up and Drop you Back at tonbridge wells Train station.

I have all Kit. all youll need is stickies.

Are you up for it? Get you out on real rock?

If so, ill PM Nearer the Time.
 Jon Stewart 01 Apr 2014
> (In reply to Jon Stewart)
>
> Is it worth getting a guide book for bouldering?

I think so, yes. If you're going to be an occasional visitor to the Peak, I would recommend the Rockfax for routes and the Peak Bouldering guide. But if you're going to spend a lot of time on the grit, then the BMC guides which cover routes and bouldering are much much nicer books, and are certainly worth the (significant) investment.
 Goucho 01 Apr 2014

Dear Sawas

Whilst I applaud your enthusiasm (and I am also aware of your Dyspraxia etc) I do think it is time for a reality check.

The chances of you becoming:

a) a climbing guide
b) a route setter
c) a sponsored climber
d) a professional climber
e) a lecturer on the subject
f) a climbing writer - unless in a Pythonesque satirical form

are about as realistic as you becoming the next 'real life' Captain of the Starship Enterprise.

There are hundreds of other people out there, who are light years ahead of you, who cannot make a living out of climbing, and you really need to recognise this.

All the well wishers and 'follow your dreams' folk on UKC, are blowing hot air up your rear end, and are at best patronising, and at worst irresponsible.

Following a dream, has to have at least some outside chance of it happening, and to be blunt, regarding the world of climbing, your dreams are nothing more than that - you haven't actually started climbing on crags yet for goodness sake.

So instead of occupying your time dreaming about things which are never going to happen, put away the fantasy world, and concentrate on just getting out climbing as a hobby and enjoying yourself - it's what 99% of us do, and I can heartily recommend it.

Sorry to be blunt Sawas, but it's time somebody showed you some respect and honesty, and pointed out the gigantic herd of elephants in the room.

Enjoy your climbing in all its forms, and at whatever level you get to, and channel your obvious enthusiasm at things you can turn into rich experiences and treasured memories.

Gouch

Wesley Orvis 01 Apr 2014
In reply to Goucho:

Brutal but honest.
In reply to Goucho:

Then I work in my local gym or of there was none of this bullying in The Armed Forces I would atleast join the TA or the reserves.

What's wrong with blogging and lecturing?

Bye
Post edited at 17:41
 Goucho 01 Apr 2014

>

> Then I work in my local gym or of there was none of this bullying in The Armed Forces I would atleast join the TA or the reserves.

I don't think anyone is bullying you on here Sawas - just giving you a bit of a reality check.

> What's wrong with blogging and lecturing?

There's nothing wrong with blogging, just stop thinking of it as a commercial venture.

As for lecturing - well what exactly would you lecture on, as you haven't actually done anything yet?
In reply to Goucho:

Hi.

I was talking about the bullying and harrassment in The Armed Forces you see in the news.

I will lecture about my climbing adventures like the Birchen Edge trip and the Southern Sandstone trip.

I am not saying I will make money from blogging.

Bye

Savvas

DaveHK 01 Apr 2014
> I will lecture about my climbing adventures like the Birchen Edge trip and the Southern Sandstone trip.

How will you make accounts of trips to mundane venues interesting enough to attract an audience?
Post edited at 18:31
 mrchewy 01 Apr 2014

Hey Savvas

I've been climbing in the Middle East, Africa and Europe but I doubt there's anyone out there who wants to listen to me lecture - my adventures aren't adventurous enough or epic first ascents. It may be that you would/can find a niche due to your disability but that's all it would be, a niche, and may not lead to a long term future in public speaking.
I doubt there are many on here who are qualified to give you careers advice and you are obviously desiring to work in a career linked to the outdoors, so why not seek professional advice from someone who will understand what your disability means? I'm sure there must be support groups that can point you in the right direction.

As far as climbing goes - take up the kind offers to take you out and get out there! Enjoy yourself. Climbing can take you on a great journey but only if you start. Take that first step Savvas.
 Goucho 01 Apr 2014

> I will lecture about my climbing adventures like the Birchen Edge trip and the Southern Sandstone trip.

To an audience of maybe 1, if you're really lucky!!!

I tried, but I now f*cking give up!

Bye

Goucho

> Savvas
In reply to DaveHK:

Hello Dave.

I do not think the peak district is mundane.

Isn't grit a hard rock to climb?

Bye

Savvas
In reply to mrchewy:

Hello.

I will go to your lecture.

They are support groups but I found them useless - I have been to quite a few disability job search groups and advice services.

The only one that was decent was MENCAP and it is very hard to get on their waiting list.

I have got some trips coming up.

Bye

Savvas
In reply to Goucho:

Hello.

Why did you give up?

Bye

Sav
In reply to Nath:

Hello Nath.

I do not have much room at my place but bouldering a small climbing wall would be a great idea.

I have thought of it myself as even The Arch is quite a journey from my place - I have no local wall that is less than an hours jouney from my place.

I know you can buy the textured panels and holds on ebay and I think Snow & Rock sell holds.

You are 100% right about it being a win win and giving me an idea of what it would be like.

Sav
 DaveHK 01 Apr 2014

> I do not think the peak district is mundane.

Ok mundane was the wrong word.

How will you make accounts of a beginner at commonly visited crags interesting enough to attract an audience?

People go to lectures to hear about things they couldn't or wouldn't do or just to be entertained.

As you'd be talking about routes and venues that the vast majority could do how will you attract a paying audience and keep attracting them?
In reply to DaveHK:

> How will you make accounts of trips to mundane venues interesting enough to attract an audience?

Blogging in an entertaining and unusual way about not climbing things seems to generate a lot of views on UKC. It's not competing with blogs and lectures from star climbers because people read it for a laugh or to be helpful.

DaveHK 01 Apr 2014
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> Blogging in an entertaining and unusual way about not climbing things seems to generate a lot of views on UKC. It's not competing with blogs and lectures from star climbers because people read it for a laugh or to be helpful.

Yeah but this is free entertainment. Savvas is talking about making a living from it.
In reply to DaveHK:

Hello Dave.

Well myself I have been to lectures about things that I want to do - like climb The Eiger North Face or Big Walling - and to meet my heroes - like my Sir Chris Bonnington and my fave Mountain Guide Kenton Cool.

Through lectues I have met Doug Scott, Leo Houlding, Ueli Steck and other North Face of Eiger climbers and Alan Hinkes - the only Briton to climb all of the 8,000m peaks.

I could tell them this is where I started from and tell them many famous climbers started there I know Johnny Dawes started in The Peak District and I think the legendary Joe Brown - this also answers your first question.

Bye

Savvas

In reply to DaveHK:

Hello.

I do not think I will make money from the blog directly.

The lectures based on the blog content can bring in some money.

Will famous names help?

I know Gaz Parry supports me doing a blog.

Bye

Savvas

So, Savvas

Are you going climbing with choss, or not?

Out of interest, could you tell us a little more about your dyspraxia and how it affects you? It's clear that some people get a bit frustrated when talking to you on here, and it may be useful for them to understand how it affects you. There are many good references on the internet - we found the dyspraxia foundation a great help to start with - but your personal story would be invaluable.

You could see it as your first go at a blog. An article on here about your personal challenges and how climbing fits into that. I think we'd all want to read it, and it would be a great help to you in your writing and lecturing.

Martin
In reply to maisie:

Just on a point of information, you say your dyspraxia is mild? Is it a life changing condition or something you can work with?
In reply to maisie:

Hello maisie.

I am going climbing with him on the Sandstone

My dyspraxia is very mild and mainly affects coordination and balance.

The cold makes it worse as I found out in Scotland - but I was not prepared my winter waling as I had not done a lot of summer hillwalking.

Also illness can make it affect it a lot.

I think it would make a great first blog entry.

I get frustrated about my dyspraxia when I indoor boulder as sometimes I get to high on my feet to reach the hold and also when I down climb get a bit scared.

I will type up a wordpress entry soon that is in greater depth tomorrow and post it on here.

Bye

Savvas

Jamie B 01 Apr 2014

Please don't take offence at this, but in the interests of full disclosure, and for the sake of those who may be going to the crags with you, do you have any form of diagnosed autism? Certain aspects of your posting style have lead me to wonder.
Hello.

It is something I can work with and is not life changing.

I know I can have physiotherapy for the symptoms.

I found training my core really helps with the balance side of things.

Yoga also helps with some of the symptoms.

Bye

Savvas
Post edited at 20:12
In reply to Jamie B:

Hi Jamie

No I do not have any form of diagnosed autism but some people do have some aspects of autism, ADD with their dyspraxia

Bye

Savvas
 Jamie B 01 Apr 2014

> I do not have any form of diagnosed autism but some people do have some aspects of autism, ADD with their dyspraxia

I think it would be worth getting this looked into. I may be totally wide of the mark, but I think I can see some possible symptoms.
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Hello Jon.

The grit is the nearest rock to me so I would like to visit the it alot in the early spring and late autumn.

Does some of the money from the books go to the BMC?

Bye

Savvas
In reply to Jamie B:

Hello Jamie.

I may look into it and I asked my GP if I had ADD but she does not think so.

What symptoms do you see?

I know people with ADD.

Bye

Savvas
 Jamie B 01 Apr 2014

> What symptoms do you see?

Bluntly, an inability to take on different perspectives and emotions. You absorb facts and data like a sponge, but you seem to struggle with nuance and interpretation. Is this fair?
In reply to Choss:

Hello.

That weekend sounds really good to me.

I am up for it 100%!

I will PM you nearer to the time once I see if I am free.

Lets set a provisional date for Sunday the 11th if it fine with you.

Bye

Savvas
In reply to Jamie B:

Hi.

Yes it is fair.

I do not know what you mean by nuance.

Bye

Savvas
 Choss 01 Apr 2014

Any day that weekend is fine, will be camping in the area Friday and Saturday night.

> I will type up a wordpress entry soon that is in greater depth tomorrow and post it on here.

> Bye

> Savvas

That sounds great, Savvas

If you send it to Alan James, I'm certain he'd post it on the site as an article. He might even consider doing an interview with you.

My real name is Martin, by the way.
 mark s 01 Apr 2014

while you seem keen,what is wrong with just going climbing?
that is enough for the vast majority of climbers.
the few that do lectures are either very funny,very good climbers or more than likely both.do you honestly think you can compete with the likes of grimer on stage entertaining the public with you tales of bouldering at mile end?

goucho got it spot on further up the thread.
 deepsoup 01 Apr 2014
In reply to Goucho:

> I tried

You did, and it was a worthy effort made with good intentions.

> but I now f*cking give up!

I think that would probably be for the best.
In reply to maisie:

Hello Martin.

I will send it to him and see what happens.

Thanks

Sav
In reply to mark s:

Hi Mark.

Thee is nothing wrong with just going climbing.

I do not want to compete with anyone.

How do you know I won't be good on rope outdoors and outdoor bouldering?

Goucho has not put me down.

Bye

Savvas

Yanis Nayu 01 Apr 2014

Savvas, what is your native language?
andyathome 01 Apr 2014
In reply to Goucho:

You were direct but very well meaning. And spoke some truth.

Good effort.
 crayefish 01 Apr 2014

This topic has made me laugh! Perhaps we have a new climbing super-hero in the making?
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

Hi.

My native language is English but my parents are from Cyprus.

Bye

Savvas

mark s 01 Apr 2014

> Hi Mark.

> Thee is nothing wrong with just going climbing.

> I do not want to compete with anyone.

> How do you know I won't be good on rope outdoors and outdoor bouldering?

> Goucho has not put me down.

> Bye

> Savvas

i never said goucho put you down,what he gave you was a reality check and some people on here are not been realistic with you.
with out sounding rude i can be sure you wont be the next news story on ukbouldering for 8a flashes.
i like lifting weights but i know there is no chance i will be on stage mr olympia,no matter how hard i train or whatever i do.that is not been defeatist,im being a realist.

bye
mark
In reply to mark s:

Hi Mark.

Don't give up your weight lifting dream!

You could try powerlifting comps and even World Strongest Man.

There is always the olympics.

Do you drink protein shakes and take creatine?

Deadlifts are great for strength and muscle gains.

Bye

Savvas

mark s 01 Apr 2014

off topic but protein shakes and creatine do not make power lifters or bodybuilders.

sports that heavily involve your body are very dependant on genetics.
climbing is the same,some people are not natural climbers and will never climb hard,no matter how many hours at a wall they spend.or how many internet articles on training they read.

been the best at sports is something 99.9% of the population will never be able to achieve.
you need to know it doesnt matter how much you want it,it wont happen.
> (In reply to Goucho)

Rivetting. You're taking the p!ss now aren't you?

In reply to mark s:
Hello.

I know they don't but they can help.

I know a little bit about genetics and climbing from reading Training for Climbing.

What is your body type?

I know they are three types: mesoform, ectoform, and endoform.

You could work at a gym, leisure centre or be a personal trainer?

Bye

Savvas
Post edited at 23:46
In reply to stroppygob:

Hello.

I am not taking the piss.

Bye

Savvas

mark s 01 Apr 2014

reading training for climbing wont help you to be a better climber.you need to be climbing at least 3 times a week
i used to climb outdoors every night for weeks on end when i first started.never even knew what a wall looked like for over a year.within that first year id climbed e6.

i wouldnt want to work in a gym,an hour lifting weights is enough.
im more than happy doing what i do.
 mark s 01 Apr 2014

people will not sit and listen to tales of your trip to birchen and vd's.

accept climbing isnt going to be your journey to solid gold bath taps.
In reply to mark s:

Hello.

I boulder indoors three times a week Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Some Mondays I do a bit of toproping with an instructor at Mile End.

What do you do for a living?

Well done on E6 and all that climbing.

Bye

Savvas
In reply to mark s:

I do not want riches such as solid gold bath tabs, fast cars, designer clothes, mansions, holiday homes in places like Aspen and Marbella and private jets.

Money does not make you happy

Bye

Savvas

Why do people always say money won't make you happy?! I'd be delirious if I won the lottery! Just travel the world climbing and doing everything you want!!!!
 Blue Straggler 02 Apr 2014

> I did the first level of this REALLY BORING admin course and I have a place on the second level but I do not want to do it as I will not be able to cope with the work load and it will be just as boring or even more boring.

Are you Kevin the teenager from the Harry Enfield show?
youtube.com/watch?v=dLuEY6jN6gY&

Hi.

A lot of the time it is true.

At one time I wanted all the stuff the super-rich have but not anymore.

Some of the stuff I wanted like Italian super cars, private jets and luxury mansions damages mountains through global warming - I actually care about climate change and global warming.

My cousin in law works in an investment bank and earns a great deal of money but he is fed-up with his job and spends his time playing video games.

You have people like the late Michael Jackson and P.Diddy who are/were very wealthy but really deep down are they happy?

I wish I could travel the world and climb but is is not as simple as that....

One day you need to start a family.

The lottery money is not infinite and what happens when you run out?

Bye

Savvas

P Diddy isn't dead? Win enough money and it will never give out.
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Hello.

I am not Kevin the teenager.

I used to love the Harry Enfield show - specially Kevin the teenager and Wayne and Waynetta slob.

Bye

Savvas

He is not dead I was referring to Michael Jackson when I said late and were.

How much is enough though?

I am thinking of buying a small place in the countryside and renting it out to fellow outdoor enthusiasts.

I would not mind buying a Recreation Vehicle, running it on biofuel and living in that but I cannot drive....

I could climb a lot then and would not have to worry about accommodation.

Bye

Savvas
Post edited at 01:34

400,000 or more is enough. I'm more than happy living in a tent. Without sounding to callous I honestly don't care that much about being eco, I have a diesel car and I find public transport horrendous.

If I had the cash and could afford a place near decent climbing I'd live there not rent it!
Hi.

I would not mind £400,000.

I could live in a tent.

I use public transport all the time but it really gets me annoyed when the train is packed and there is no place to live.

Renting a property can bring good money.

North Wales spoke to my heart but I have fond memories of The Peak District aswell

Bye

Savvas
Post edited at 01:42
 profitofdoom 02 Apr 2014

GOODNIGHT EVERYONE snore zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
 Jamie B 02 Apr 2014

> I do not know what you mean by nuance.

I rest my case.
 mark s 02 Apr 2014

who are you really?
there is no way im buying you are real.
In reply to mark s:

He has a profile picture and goes to Mile End three times a week, someone must know him or at least recognise him?
 chrissyboy 02 Apr 2014

I think enough is enough here geezer,your just spouting out verbal rubbish.
Have you set a date with Nathan for your climbing trip to Birchen Edge yet?
If so,give your fingers a rest from all this typing and concentrate your efforts on preparing for the trip and tell us all about it when you get back.
Happy Days.
 The Ivanator 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

I think some on here playfully feed the myth and pretend they know him or are taken in by the fact that someone they know thinks they know someone who has met him. It is a carefully constructed persona and provides great entertainment, but come on.
There always seems to be an excuse when a genuine climbing opportunity presents itself - the Stanage cold, can't abseil etc.
If someone believable gets the myth on a crag and reports back with photos I might be prepared to suspend my disbelief.
I wouldn't want whoever is penning his posts to quit though - the diminishing Forum environment has been brightened by this presence.
In reply to chrissyboy:

Hi.

I have not set a date yet with Nath for the trip to Birchen Edge.

I have a set a provisionary date for The Sandstoning with Choss though.

Bye

Sav

Choss 02 Apr 2014

> Hi.

> I have not set a date yet with Nath for the trip to Birchen Edge.

> I have a set a provisionary date for The Sandstoning with Choss though.

> Bye

And dont forget a camera, to add the pics to your Gallery on here, and for your blog.

How is the blog post you mentioned yesterday going? Dont forget to post a Link on here.

Bye

Choss

Choss 02 Apr 2014

You should delete this last post Sav. Probably not a good idea posting your Phone number on a public forum.
 Quiddity 02 Apr 2014
In reply to The Ivanator:

> I think some on here playfully feed the myth and pretend they know him or are taken in by the fact that someone they know thinks they know someone who has met him. It is a carefully constructed persona and provides great entertainment, but come on.

I know Savvas from when he has come to The Castle. I think he is pretty well known from around the London walls. He is a real person and the way he presents himself on here is an accurate reflection of how he comes across in real life. He is clearly very passionate about climbing and it is clearly very important to him - please give him a break from this stuff:

> It is a carefully constructed persona and provides great entertainment, but come on.
> I wouldn't want whoever is penning his posts to quit though - the diminishing Forum environment has been brightened by this presence.

You and others on this thread are making fun of a real person, it is mean-spirited and undignified and does you no credit.
 Nath 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Choss:

+1 remove your number Savvas

Nath
 The Ivanator 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Quiddity:

It is natural to question and nothing in what I said was mean. I readily feel guilty if I am being mean-spirited or undignified, but feel no shame in this instance.
If he is real then I wish him luck, and hope we get to hear/see some genuine climbing exploits soon. His writing has a naive but compulsive quality and I would likely read a blog penned by him - potentially a refreshing change from the often dull fare served up on the blogs of top climbing athletes.
 mark s 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Quiddity:

anyone is right to question if this person is real or a character.all the evidence points to the latter.
how many people seriously think they can be a route setter and cant climb.or write a blog and people question if English is even his first language.
 Quiddity 02 Apr 2014

I think you may be flirting with making fun of someone for having a disability, which I think would be both mean spirited and undignified. Sorry, Sav, if this is not the case.
 CurlyStevo 02 Apr 2014
In reply to mark s:
Sorry to tell you but I'm a facebook friend of both Johnny Dawes and Savvas and have been for quite a long time. Not only have I been chatting to Savvas for over a year on FB but I have spoken to Johnny too and Savvas's name came up. He confirmed everything.

Believe what you want but other UKCers that have met him at the London walls have also confirmed he is real and has disabilities.

You probably know Johnny or people that do or atleast you have probably heard of each other, why don't you drop him a text / email / FB message.
Post edited at 11:52
 CurlyStevo 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Quiddity:

"You and others on this thread are making fun of a real person, it is mean-spirited and undignified and does you no credit. "

+1
 The Ivanator 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Quiddity:
> I think you may be flirting with making fun of someone for having a disability

I am not. You are reading stuff into my post that simply is not there - I have no axe to grind and certainly harbour no prejudice.
The rallying round that occurs whenever someone gently (and understandably) questions whether this poster exists is peculiar.
To be honest whether he is real or not does not worry me greatly.
 The Ivanator 02 Apr 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo: > You probably know Johnny or people that do or atleast you have probably heard of each other, why don't you drop him a text / email / FB message.

Naturally I have heard of Johnny (but I doubt he has heard of me!). TBH this seems rather an insignificant matter to go bugging him with texts/emails about ...hopefully with a little patience we will hear of Savvas's trips out before long and my cynicism will prove unfounded.
 CurlyStevo 02 Apr 2014
My reply was to Mark S regarding Johnny BTW....

However you've met me, I've met Johnny several times, we've chatted about Savvas on facebook (amongst other things) what more do you need?

Rereading your post I think its not a particularly nice way of treating someone with disabilities, although I don't really see that as an issue I intend to try and address in any way than defend my position.

"
I think some on here playfully feed the myth and pretend they know him or are taken in by the fact that someone they know thinks they know someone who has met him. It is a carefully constructed persona and provides great entertainment, but come on.
There always seems to be an excuse when a genuine climbing opportunity presents itself - the Stanage cold, can't abseil etc.
If someone believable gets the myth on a crag and reports back with photos I might be prepared to suspend my disbelief.
I wouldn't want whoever is penning his posts to quit though - the diminishing Forum environment has been brightened by this presence."

If it all turns out to be a humongous hoax that Mr Dawes and many London based UKCers were in on, so be it. Stupid me, I'd much rather give Savvas the benefit of the doubt.

How would you feel in a world where most people seem a bit different to your self and your not entirely sure how / why, when people on your favourite climbing forum start calling you a troll and questioning your existence?
Post edited at 12:37
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I would echo the calls that it is unlikely you will be hitting E6 or whatever by the end of the year, and I don't think you will have the experience to start making money on the lecture circuit any time soon.

However I would suggest that if you do start getting outside and pushing yourself you could use the experience to motivate others with disabilities either through local charities or the BMC.

I am no medic but if your disability does cause issues with balance ( a key part of climbing) then your willingness and ability to overcome could be something to share with others. Remember that every one has their own Everest, HVS could be as hard for you as E6 is to others.

Work with your USP, dont try and be Dawes, be Sawas. Talk to local support groups and go motivate some kids.
 deacondeacon 02 Apr 2014

> Ask DeaconDeacon, Johnny Dawes, Gaz Parry, Neil Gresham.

Well that's quite a list of names to be grouped with.

Savvas is real. End of.
Wether he becomes a climber or not is down to him, but it won't be due to lack of opportunities.

Choss 02 Apr 2014
In reply to deacondeacon:

> Well that's quite a list of names to be grouped with.

> Savvas is real. End of.

> Wether he becomes a climber or not is down to him, but it won't be due to lack of opportunities.

>

Sav will be adding his first clutch of sandstone Climbs to his Logbook after the Second weekend in May. And hopefully a blog and photos as well.

Super CAB
 CurlyStevo 02 Apr 2014
In reply to deacondeacon:

haha
 Nath 02 Apr 2014

and I intend to give him his first Grit Stone rash.

Sometime after Easter.

Nath
 deacondeacon 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Choss:

That's great Choss. Im sure you guys will have a great day.
 ericinbristol 02 Apr 2014

Hi Sav

How about making a start on your blog? Free ones here: http://wordpress.com/ They are super easy as beanz to start and loads of people on here would have a look.
 bpmclimb 02 Apr 2014

> Naturally I have heard of Johnny (but I doubt he has heard of me!).

On the contrary! When I last had a good natter with my old mate JD he could talk of little else than your climbing exploits
 The Ivanator 02 Apr 2014
In reply to bpmclimb:

Must have been those epic new routes I put up at Sand Point!
 The Ivanator 02 Apr 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> How would you feel in a world where most people seem a bit different to your self and your not entirely sure how / why, when people on your favourite climbing forum start calling you a troll and questioning your existence?

If I were real and my existence were questioned then it would mildly amuse me, although I am not dyspraxic and cannot claim to be able to empathise with Savvas in this regard.
I have taught a number of dyspraxic young adults over the years and have some awareness of the condition, it certainly has many guises and degrees of severity.
Giving Savvas the benefit of any doubt over the existence thing I would be surprised if I have caused serious offence - he seems from his posts quite a chipper sort who wouldn't be mortally wounded.
If it is a massive hoax then the author is an internet legend, actually either way Savvas is an internet legend!
 Ramblin dave 02 Apr 2014
> If I were real...

"If"?
Post edited at 14:32
 The Ivanator 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Ramblin dave:

UKC the hiding hole of mythical beasts - damn, did I let my mask slip?

I have started my first blog post!

In reply to Pepper:
Hello Pepper.

My condition used to cause issues with balance but not any more

Core training and yoga has helped overcome that.

I am also starting cycling lessons soon

At the moment I do not have any goals apart the one I posted about with the low grade 4x4s.

What is USP?
Post edited at 20:19
 Sy Finch 02 Apr 2014
> At the moment I do not have any goals apart the one I posted about with the low grade 4x4s.

What are these 4x4s you constantly mention? Some sort of reps of something? No idea what they are, and pretty sure you don't need to concentrate you efforts on doing them from a climbing point of view.

jezb1 02 Apr 2014

> I have started my first blog post!

>

What is the link for your blog, I'm psyched to read it.

USP = Unique Selling Point. In other words what makes you worth listening to or reading. For example Alan Hinkes USP= Only Brit to climb 14 x 8000m peaks.

Yours, I would suggest, is your disability and the way you have reduced its impact on you and achieved new things or not let it stop you learning new skills.

That is what you could talk about to the right audience and would give you even more motivation to push on with climbing.
 JimboWizbo 02 Apr 2014

I don't climb hard and have done some paid route setting work. I reset the wall at a local school, they were happy with it. I think it worked because I wasn't setting for rock masters, I was setting for kids in P.E. which takes a bit less skill.
In reply to Sy Finch:

Hi.

Yes. Doing the problems in a circuit that I have not done or attempting the problem several times then doing the same with the next problem.

Bye

Savvas
In reply to Quiddity:

> He is a real person and the way he presents himself on here is an accurate reflection of how he comes across in real life.

Wow, a total knobend IRL too.

In reply to CurlyStevo:

> Sorry to tell you but I'm a facebook friend of both Johnny Dawes and Savvas

I'm a twitter friend of Stephen Fry and Rob Brydon.
 Blizzard 02 Apr 2014

Seriously , have you considered approaching the BBC, or Channel 4 for your own TV show? I think it would be great.
In reply to jezb1:

Hello jez.

I have only done a few sentences.

It is a free word press one....

You could seach for savvasioannouclimbing on word press.

Bye

Savvas

jezb1 02 Apr 2014

Or you could just give us all the link when you've completed a blog.

We've been waiting with baited breath for feckin months, don't make us search the web for it too.
 Sy Finch 02 Apr 2014

> Yes. Doing the problems in a circuit that I have not done or attempting the problem several times then doing the same with the next problem.

Ah, you mean bouldering then!

In reply to Pepper:

Hello Pepper.

I looked USP up on bing and it come up with Unique Selling Point on one of the websites.

Bye

Sav

In reply to Sy Finch:

Yep bouldering

In reply to jezb1:

Cool beanz

I will post it when it is done

Sy Finch 02 Apr 2014
> You could seach for savvasioannouclimbing on word press.

Couldn't find it, but found your skillspage thingy:

Saw this on there:

'I am a freelance coach and instructor. '

All of your updates say you've been to the wall a lot but never managed to do any problems, for example:

'Tried to do 4x4s on VB-V0 circuit problems but no problems done!!!!'

But then you state:
'I think I can lead up HVS 5a even when in the right mindset E1 5b'

You say you have a very mild form of dyspraxia and nothing else. You have something, but it's not very mild! Autism has been mentioned by folk.

I'm keen as most on here to see you get into climbing and enjoy it, but cut the crap, seriously. If you can, just take a step back and think about all the stuff you have posted. You could do with listening to some of the criticism and actually comprehend it and take it on board. Not purposefully trying to make you look a fool, I think you have already done that yourself.
On the other hand, it is quite amusing, as many would agree, and I would read your blog. Hope you get out soon to do some proper climbing.

Sy.
Post edited at 22:23
 JayPee630 02 Apr 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

You really are a nasty bully aren't you?
 Blue Straggler 02 Apr 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

> You really are a nasty bully aren't you?

As opposed to all those cuddly fluffy bullies?
In reply to Blizzard:

I would need to write a script for it then send the script to various production companies via e-mail.

If a company decides to take it up then I would approach a TV Channel.

There is a sting in the tail though....

Some companies require you to gave an agent.

Jordan_Hollins 03 Apr 2014

I just stumbled upon your account on Skills Page which is linked to your Facebook.

It reads;

"I think I can lead up HVS 5a even when in the right mindset E1 5b"

"I am a freelance coach and instructor."

What is all this about? Promoting yourself as a freelance instructor?
 Sy Finch 03 Apr 2014
In reply to Jordan_Hollins:

> I just stumbled upon your account on Skills Page which is linked to your Facebook.

> It reads;

> "I think I can lead up HVS 5a even when in the right mindset E1 5b"

> "I am a freelance coach and instructor."

> What is all this about? Promoting yourself as a freelance instructor?

I posted this just above at 22.22.

The guy is bonkers! And now he is on about approaching TV channels. This stuff is pure gold.

Jonny2vests 03 Apr 2014
Epic thread. Unputdownable.

Well....

At the beginning it was for graphic design and wed design the SkillsPages but then I used it for climbing and decided to see if I could be a freelance instructor....

I will change it tomorrow

In reply to Sy Finch:

Not my idea to approach TV Channels
In reply to Sy Finch:

I have not changed SkillsPages.

I was not saying that I am sure I can lead up to those grades but that I think I can.

It is a very mild form of Dyspraxia....

I have not been tested for autism or any related condition.

So no more updates then?

Sav
In reply to JayPee630:

> You really are a nasty bully aren't you?

Nope, I'm a sweet, caring, gentle, mild-mannered bloke.

Ps. How does one "bully" on this forum?
 djellworth 03 Apr 2014

Well, my post of April 1 about Mr Spirit's next thread got banned and removed.

Which is fine as I guess it did contravene the forum rules so I fully understand and agree.

I was bloody right though.
 liz j 03 Apr 2014

> Well....

> At the beginning it was for graphic design and wed design the SkillsPages but then I used it for climbing and decided to see if I could be a freelance instructor....

> I will change it tomorrow

>

You are always 'going to change it tomorrow'!!

Removed User 03 Apr 2014
In reply to djellworth:

Aside from these magical threads that was the best post on here in months mate. Got a lot of laughs before it was removed anyway!
 mark s 03 Apr 2014

wonder what would happen if someone contacted him with regards to instructing their climbing.

savvas-
i have climbed with all the names you mention and some of them do instructing but they all have climbed for years at the top of the game.i don't think you even get off the ground by the sounds of things.the be all and end all isn't about passing on skills to others.think of climbing as a bit of fun and when you do eventually climb something blog about it.
im not an instructor but i have shown people who are very new to the sport how to climb,yeah its nice to do.but you need to worry about yourself first.
forget about wild fantasies,keep it real and have fun.
 TraverseKing 03 Apr 2014
In reply to djellworth:

That was the best post ever!
 DaveHK 03 Apr 2014
In reply to stroppygob:
> Ps. How does one "bully" on this forum?

Name calling is a good place to start.
Post edited at 10:21
In reply to liz j:

Done
In reply to mark s:
I do get of the ground but not to the top.

Cool as beanz

I do not care about regular career and regular money.

My sister and brother put pressure on me....

Could I just write article and send them to UKC, Climb and Summit?

Would you rent a property i say The Peak District or Tremadog from me?

Bye

Sav
Post edited at 14:34
 jkarran 03 Apr 2014

> My sister and brother put pressure on me....

If they're pressuring you to find work can they also help you to do so?

> Would you rent a property i say The Peak District or Tremadog from me?

If you have money to invest in property then I think you need some professional investment advice rather than thinking about tying it to climbing/climbers in some way.

jk
In reply to jkarran:
Q1. No, my sister is a OBGYN doctor in North London who is very busy and my borother works at a uni in Bristol and has a heavy workload.

Q2. I was going to ask my parents to invest in a property. It is not just climbing in the countryside: hiking, cycling, bird watching, conservation, scrambling, water sports and photography.

Sav
Post edited at 15:06
 Conor1 03 Apr 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> Wow, a total knobend IRL too.

Pathetic.
 jkarran 03 Apr 2014

> Q1. No, my sister is a OBGYN doctor in North London who is very busy and my borother works at a uni in Bristol and has a heavy workload.

That's a shame.

> Q2. I was going to ask my parents to invest in a property. It is not just climbing in the countryside: hiking, cycling, bird watching, conservation, scrambling, water sports and photography.

Ah, ok. I suspect you'd get a better return investing elsewhere but that's not my business.

jk
In reply to jkarran:

In London it is not the right time to invest and property is SOOOO expensive here!

Marcus 'MDizzle' Boal of Craggy 2 fame owns a rental villa in Spain but there are many catches and regulations in investing abroard.

Sav
 jkarran 03 Apr 2014

> In London it is not the right time to invest and property is SOOOO expensive here!

It's expensive in part because of speculative investment!

Anyway, I'm not sure how we got from climbing to your parents' investment plans

Are you going to climb this weekend?
jk
Lusk 03 Apr 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> I'm a twitter friend of Stephen Fry and Rob Brydon.

Just shows what a totally meaningless term 'friend' is on the internet!
 CurlyStevo 03 Apr 2014
In reply to Lusk:

I dunno I consider Savvas a friend now and I've never met him but we have exchanged many thousands of words in the last 18 months!
In reply to jkarran:
True about the speculative investment.

It all started with ways to make money

No not this weekend, maybe next weekend

Sav
Post edited at 17:28
 mark s 03 Apr 2014

> I do get of the ground but not to the top.

> Cool as beanz

> I do not care about regular career and regular money.

> My sister and brother put pressure on me....

> Could I just write article and send them to UKC, Climb and Summit?

> Would you rent a property i say The Peak District or Tremadog from me?

> Bye

> Sav

i think there are better ways of investing money.

write an article and post it on this thread pretending it is posted in the articles.
then let people say what they think.
what would you write about?

you seem determined to make money from climbing,it takes someone very special to do that.
 crayefish 03 Apr 2014

> I just stumbled upon your account on Skills Page which is linked to your Facebook.

> It reads;

> "I think I can lead up HVS 5a even when in the right mindset E1 5b"

> "I am a freelance coach and instructor."

> What is all this about? Promoting yourself as a freelance instructor?

Wow
In reply to mark s:
The good thing about rental property is there will always be an income.

There is always green technology wind power, solar etc. but it needs to get up and running. The governmemt needs to put money into it and also get people to believe in it - a lot of people are against the wind farms.

Outdoors is not just about climbing - my brother and his girlfriend are not climbers but they enjoy the outdoors through hiking and just being in beautifull places....

.....My cousin and his wife are hillwalkers and kites surfers.

I can write about my climbing trips.

Sav
Post edited at 19:59
 Michael Gordon 03 Apr 2014
In reply to djellworth:

> Well, my post of April 1 about Mr Spirit's next thread got banned and removed.

> Which is fine as I guess it did contravene the forum rules so I fully understand and agree.

> I was bloody right though.

Damn, that thread was really good!
In reply to DaveHK:

Sticks and stones etc.
In reply to Lusk:

> Just shows what a totally meaningless term 'friend' is on the internet!

Which was exactly my point.
 DaveHK 04 Apr 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> Sticks and stones etc.

That's bollocks.
In reply to DaveHK:

Ok, "sticks and bollocks" then.
 Blue Straggler 06 Apr 2014

bump

what are u bumpin me about?

Blue Straggler 06 Apr 2014
I want to keep this thread alive so it doesn't get archived too soon.

Poli oraia
Post edited at 22:31
 Blizzard 06 Apr 2014

Good grief!!
R u Greek?

Y do want to keep it alive?

Photography is a fun way to make money!

Post edited at 01:39
Andy Gamisou 07 Apr 2014

Opou se kupros eivai y oikoyenia sas apo, Savva;
 mark s 07 Apr 2014

where did you climb this weekend?
any trip reports?
 The Ivanator 07 Apr 2014
In reply to mark s:

Weather was a bit crap to be fair, but long term forecast for next weekend looks promising - high time to hit the rock Sav, have a good one!
In reply to mark s:

Coming weekend....

Burbage South boulders

Choss 07 Apr 2014
> Coming weekend....

> Burbage South boulders

Did you get yourself a crash pad in the end Sav?

If only to make people on the Train wonder why youve got your bed with you

where are you staying? Im Assuming its a weekend Rather than a day trip?

Might be worth asking for partners on Lifts partners thread to Share Mats, Spotting, Show you around, etc.

If you are going bouldering for the first Time on your own, and i dont Know Burbage, but before you attempt a Problem, check out the Landings are ok in the event you come off, and make sure there is an easy enough way off the boulder top once you get up

Have fun, good luck, and Take it easy. Enjoy.
Post edited at 11:28
W Orvis 07 Apr 2014

Blogging about bouldering? I wouldn't bother Sav, you are probably better off blogging about the most common colour car to pass your house in London or something like that, you would get more views I am sure.
In reply to Choss:
No not yet.

Ill have to check out accomodation in Grindelford.

Yep, a weekend trip.

Good idea about Sharing Mats etc.

It depends if Chez comes with me or not.

Cool as beanz

Post edited at 20:43
In reply to W Orvis:

Cool beanz

Goucho 07 Apr 2014

Congratulations Savvas, you've had 221 comments to a thread which is basically nothing more than bollocks, and people talking about your blog, which is considerably less interesting than one about paint drying times.

Meanwhile, the thread about Hazel Findley becoming the first British woman to climb 8c, has received precisely 2 comments!!!!!

Does that say something about UKC these days????
 seankenny 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Goucho:

> Does that say something about UKC these days????

Nah, what can you say about Ms Findlay's fantastic ascent, other than that it was fantastic? Richer pickings elsewhere.
 Goucho 07 Apr 2014
In reply to seankenny:

Richer pickings elsewhere.

I would have said considerably poorer pickings myself!

In reply to Goucho:

So why have commented twice on this thread and not once on Hazel Findlay's 8c thread dip-shit?
 tim000 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Sally Bustyerface:
> So why have commented twice on this thread and not once on Hazel Findlay's 8c thread dip-shit?

Post edited at 20:58
 Choss 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Goucho:

Says Perhaps we are Largely more Interested in helping Someone along, rather than Back Patting people at the top end of things?
 Goucho 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Sally Bustyerface:

Yawn!!!!
 Goucho 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Choss:

> Says Perhaps we are Largely more Interested in helping Someone along, rather than Back Patting people at the top end of things?

You really believe that???
 Choss 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Goucho:

> You really believe that???

Yes.
 Goucho 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Choss:

> Yes.

Do you also think that books written by Hans Christian Anderson, should be filed in the 'Historical Reference' section of Waterstones?
 seankenny 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Goucho:

> I would have said considerably poorer pickings myself!

You might say that. I couldn't possibly comment.
 Michael Gordon 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Goucho:

I guess this thread perhaps had more potential for humour
 Goucho 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> I guess this thread perhaps had more potential for humour

Well it's a lot more like 'Pythonesque' satire than anything else

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...