UKC

Recommend me a micro cam - Master Cam or WC Zero?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ralphio 31 Mar 2014
Currently my smallest cam is a size 0 WC helium friend but i'd like to get something a little smaller. I'm drawn towards either WC zero's or the Metolious Mastercam in the snmaller sizes mainly because i'm poor and they both seem to be the cheapest on the market. What are people's opinions on both? If its any help I do pretty much all my climbing on grit.

Thanks.
needvert 31 Mar 2014
In reply to ralphio:

My mastercam 0 and 00 are well made devices.

Zeros do go down much smaller.
 deacondeacon 31 Mar 2014
In reply to ralphio: I've had both in the past and the mastercam 0 and 00 are the ones I stuck with. Although I haven't tried the X4's or whatever they're called.
The Mastercams also feel much more reassuring than the small Zeros.
I only climb on grit so not sure how they handle on other rock types.

OP ralphio 31 Mar 2014
In reply to deacondeacon:

I'd read that the stems are a bit stiffer on the mastercams. Did you find this caused any problems in the smallest sizes?
 beardy mike 31 Mar 2014
In reply to ralphio:

Have both and much prefer the zero's. Just the fact that you have a stem that's flexible all the way to the axle wins it for me as you can make placements where all else would fail. Add to this what I find a pretty uncomfortable thumbloop on the mastercam despite the moulding, and the stiff stem wire, and that in a horizontal placement, the alien trigger workround can release the cam lobes from their placement underload and I'm not a fan. If you want a metolius cam, IMO the ultralight TCU is a better cam by far ifyou can live with a u shaped stem...
 Coel Hellier 31 Mar 2014
In reply to ralphio:

I have Zeros, and really love the Yellow Z4. The Grey Z3 gets placed only occasionally, but is light enough that you can carry it around for that rare occasion. The flexibility and "non solid" feel actually helps them to hold, aligning the pull properly. (I've no experience with the micro Mastercams.)
 simonzxr 31 Mar 2014
In reply to ralphio:

I've had both types. Love my Zero size 6, it just seems to fit and bite great just when you need it when nothing else will. I haven't use master cams since one of them seized. Apparently parts in the axel are not stainless and after taking them to a sea cliff they rusted inside and stopped working. Not ideal.
 Skyfall 31 Mar 2014
In reply to ralphio:

In line with the earlier posters, I prefer mastercams (and have a couple of both). The mastercams are more reassuring somehow and are very well made. I like the fact they are a little stiffer but are still flexible. They were also very cheap when I got them, relatively speaking.

The warning about them rusting if exposed to saltwater is, apparently, true although I have not had any problems in normal climbing and haven't taken them to any seacliffs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...