UKC

MSR Micro Rocket problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 1poundSOCKS 03 Apr 2014
I'm posting this as a warning, and I'm also wondering if anybody else has had the same problem.

In a nutshell, the three-pronged wind protector on top of the burner is prone to falling off when hot (I would assume due to expansion). I was changing the gas canister, it ran out whilst cooking, and the wind protector fell onto my leg melting a hole in my trousers. Luckily it didn't burn my leg. A friend has the same stove, and has had a similar problem.

An email has been sent to MSR, a few days ago now, but no reply as yet.
 gethin_allen 03 Apr 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

I've had the same happen (not the burning my trousers bit), you'll probably find that they specify in the user manual somewhere that the stove should be cool before changing the cartridge.
OP 1poundSOCKS 03 Apr 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:
Haven't checked, was going to see what they say first. But even if you don't change the gas, the same could happen moving the stove, and I wouldn't expect bits of a camp stove to fall off like this. Poor design at the very least.

It does say don't move the stove when hot in the instructions. Is this common for stoves? I move them all the time, if the wind picks up or it starts raining. All they need to ensure is that bits don't drop off.
Post edited at 13:43
 L.A. 03 Apr 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Heres what it says in the instructions....
Never move a burning or hot stove. Always extinguish stove and cool for
at least 5 minutes before moving. Moving a burning or hot stove can cause
fire, burns, severe injury or death

In a nutshell, the three-pronged wind protector on top of the burner is prone to falling off when hot (I would assume due to expansion)
- If it were cool presumably then there wouldnt be the expansion.
In reply to L.A.:
Wish I knew that before I bought it.

Might have to ask MSR if they do moveable stoves, or do they all fall apart when hot.
Post edited at 13:56
 L.A. 03 Apr 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:
All stoves will give a warning about moving them whilst hot. It stops people from suing the companies for getting burnt hands/trousers etc
Just chuck the little windshield away. It makes practically no difference to the running of the stove. Or bend the windshields arm slightly to tighten it to the stove.
And dont contact MSR in USA where they wont respond for a week before they forward it on to Europe. Contact the European HQ in Ireland
Post edited at 14:03
In reply to L.A.:

Thanks.

I do expect to be burnt if I touch a hot stove, I don't expect bits to fall off if I move it.

I might remove the wind protector, if I don't sell it. I've had a few stoves and never had this problem. My Jetboil seems to be designed to be moved when hot, pity it doesn't simmer very well. At least it stays in one piece though!
 L.A. 03 Apr 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS: Wait till you burn the neoprene on it )

In reply to L.A.:

Great little Burner, why would you really want to move a hot stove,other than by the canister,its a very simple fix or just remove it completely,so easily
Put right its barely worth a mention.shame about your trews just bad luck
 Sharp 03 Apr 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> I might remove the wind protector, if I don't sell it. I've had a few stoves and never had this problem. My Jetboil seems to be designed to be moved when hot, pity it doesn't simmer very well.

You don't really need to, just heat it to boiling, stick a belay jacket around it and it'll stay above 90C for ages.
In reply to stevieweesaxs107: I did type long, reasoned responses, but my reply keep getting lost with an internet error.

In short, I think it's crap.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...