UKC

Lightweight sleeping bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Joedt 05 Apr 2014
Hi all,

I'm looking for a lightweight 2 or 3 season sleeping bag that will pack down relatively small. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.
 1poundSOCKS 05 Apr 2014
In reply to madtoclimb: I use a Rab Ascent and like it a lot. Mainly because it's a bit roomier what some mummy bags, especially in the foot-box, which makes for more comfort. There are several models, with various temperature ratings.

crustypunkuk 05 Apr 2014
In reply to madtoclimb:

North Face gold kazoo works for me.
 butteredfrog 05 Apr 2014
In reply to madtoclimb:

Out of 3 or 4 bags, the one I use the most is a Military spec Snugpak softy 3 Merlin. From Alpine bivi's to dossing on friends setees, its indistructable.
 jockster 05 Apr 2014
In reply to madtoclimb:

Mountain Equipment Xero 350 - excellent
 tom84 05 Apr 2014
In reply to madtoclimb:

rab bags- way too wide around the shoulders, otherwise pretty good. mountain equipment zero 350- very good but ripped mine open turning round one night so didn't get another. sugpak military spec- wouldn't go near anything military spec under any circumstances and the pack size is MASSIVE. i now have a couple of western mountaineering bags (summerlite good to -1 and ultralite good to -8) they come in at about 600 and 800 grams respectively i think. expensive but you get what you pay for with these things, plus should you have to for some weird reason have to pack it up and carry it in a bag you'll be glad of it.

another option are the phd bags, never used one but have an excellent reputation.
 ben b 06 Apr 2014
In reply to madtoclimb:

Probably need to be a bit more specific about usage, what you plan on sleeping on etc.

Nonetheless, the PHD sale is now on which is a good way to get great gear at a better price (I have a PHD minimus for mountain marathons but in reality it is all I use outside of winter now.

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/special-offers.php?cat=79

There's also a really good eal on Rab bags it Rock&Run - the Neutrinos are excellent too, according to several friends who have them:

http://www.rockrun.com/deals/sleeping-bags

Good luck

b
 girlymonkey 06 Apr 2014
In reply to madtoclimb:

I've had my eye on the OMM raid for a while now, maybe too lightweight though? The raid 1.6 claims 2 seasons, but doesn't put a temp to it.
 TobyA 06 Apr 2014
In reply to ben b:

> There's also a really good deal on Rab bags it Rock&Run - the Neutrinos are excellent too, according to several friends who have them:

I saw that and was quite interested in the Neutrino 200. I have this amazing Marmot bag that I reviewed for UKC a few years back which at 860 grams is already super light, but it is much warmer than I need for a lot of summer camping so I could go lighter. But when I googled the 200 I read the Outdoor Gear Lab review and its the only thing I've ever seen where in their 'best use' bit of their result matrix they just wrote "Not recommended." http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacking-Sleeping-Bag-Reviews/Rab-Neutrino... It's strange because its so rare you test something now from a reputable manufacturer that just really doesn't perform at all.

Alpenglow 06 Apr 2014
In reply to madtoclimb:

I'm in a similar situation to the OP. I'm heading to the Alps for the first half of September and I'm looking for a lightweight bag.
On the PHD sale section, they have a Minim 300 and a Minim 500 with water resistant outer coatings.
Will the 300 version be warm enough for alpine bivys?
 Ron Walker 06 Apr 2014
In reply to blackreaver:

> I'm in a similar situation to the OP. I'm heading to the Alps for the first half of September and I'm looking for a lightweight bag.

> On the PHD sale section, they have a Minim 300 and a Minim 500 with water resistant outer coatings.

> Will the 300 version be warm enough for alpine bivys?

Depends on you, weather and altitude but that's what we use for alpine bivis, in fact the PHD photo (A bivvy in the Vallee Blanche) on the following link is my photo!

See http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cat=60&products_id=31

It packs small and weighs less than half a litre of water (465 grams) and despite PHD's conservative temperature rating we've happily used it bivving at well below zero wearing an extra layer or belay jacket.
Removed User 06 Apr 2014
In reply to madtoclimb:

I use a Mammut Hydrogen, though I think it's now a discontinued model. Packs pretty tiny, weighs next to nothing, warm as hell. Can get them on Ebay sometimes.
 Merlin 06 Apr 2014
In reply to madtoclimb:

What do you want it for?
 Roguevfr 06 Apr 2014
In reply to Merlin:

Muffling a pistol shot.
 keepguessing 06 Apr 2014
In reply to madtoclimb:

I like the look of the feathered friends viero ul.
 Bluebird 07 Apr 2014
In reply to madtoclimb:

+1 for PhD minimus - packs to nothing, works down to at least -5 below (if you have a few extra layers on) - I had some tweaks made to mine to improve the warmth/weight - extra down in the feet and tapered at the waist and slightly wider at the shoulder - expensive, but I don't use anything else these days
 Ciderslider 07 Apr 2014
In reply to tom84:

mountain equipment zero 350- very good but ripped mine open turning round one night so didn't get another.

That's because you've got such massive muscular shoulders dude
 Alpenglow 07 Apr 2014
In reply to madtoclimb:

Just bought one of the PHD Minim300 (with Drilite Plus) in the sale. Should be good for the Alps this summer (with clothes in the mountains).
 tom84 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

haha if only, you'd think after this much climbing id actually have something to call shoulders..
 oldie 07 Apr 2014
In reply to madtoclimb:

I've found the Alpkit Pipedream 400 at 750gm and about £150 good, and much warmer than I expected.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...