UKC

Edge 810 navigation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Indy 09 Apr 2014
One of the reasons I paid the extra for an Edge 810 was for its navigation feature. Unfortunately it hasn't proved to be that good in the routes it offers. Also there's very little way to check a route on the unit before actually riding it. Basically this has meant significant detours I.e. it routed me off the A26 for a mile detour only to come out 300 meters up the road back onto the A26! It'll claim a total distance of 65 miles at the start then after a couple of miles change its mind and say more correctly 78 miles. The are lots more oddities but I'll leave it at that.

Anyway my point... I going to do a 60 mile ride and all I have is the 810 and a WIFI Nexus 7 tablet. Google maps gives me a reasonable route but wondering how to transfer it to the 810? Anyone know how to do it with the Nexus 7?
Cheers

Marek 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Indy:

You need a gpx file. I don't think Google Maps exports gpx, but there are other simialar web based programs that do (www.bikehike.co.uk). One problem you may find is that the gpx file will have a waypoint not just at junctions, but at every bend in the road. You may end up getting a navigation alarm every few hundred yards round your route which is pretty useless. I don't have a Garmin but use Viewranger on a phone and it was a problem there (fixed with a script). How you get a file from tablet to Garmin I'm not sure.
 balmybaldwin 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Marek:

Your way point issue isn't a problem on a Garmin.

It simply tells you what to do as you approach a junction etc. The only time it struggles is the same as a normal Satnav - when the map has the right of way at a T junction wrong.

To the OP... it sounds like you are trying to use the Navigate to function on the Garmin? Better to pre-plan your route via BikeHike, Garmin Communicator or similar sofware before you go. There is a function to preview your route if you are selecting a pre-planned route then one of the options shows you the map (which you can zoom and Pan into)
 Marek 09 Apr 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:
> (In reply to Marek)
>
> Your way point issue isn't a problem on a Garmin.
>
> It simply tells you what to do as you approach a junction etc.

Does that work for gpx routes imported from 3rd party apps too?
 telemarker 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Indy:

I use a garmin edge 500 and have navigation. I use a website called http://www.gpsies.com/. You create a route on the planner then add waypoints (you can put in whatever you want, for example I put in food stops on sportives) then hook up your garmin and export it to the device. You can also apply "autocues" from the site which are pretty accurate. If you have any questions on it PM me.

S

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...