UKC

much work for MIAs/ MICs?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 marzi 11 Apr 2014
I've recently passed my ML and hopefully doing the MIA training at the end of summer if I'm lucky with weather, and partners.

But After reading the "Ben Nevis volunteer" thread and following the debate. I was wondering is there much work for MIAs/ MICs? I mean is finding work hard is it competitive to find clients? Its a big investment timewise and financially to get through the schemes, Is it worth it? Is there enough work to keep the wolves from door, food on the table?

I've had hints of stories of fully qualified guides struggling and one comment on the other thread "living hand to mouth" got me wondering, would I be better investing the 6000£ it will cost to get through the rest of MLTB scheme on something else?
 connor 11 Apr 2014
In reply to steve maher:

Rope Access tickets?
 JayPee630 11 Apr 2014
In reply to steve maher:

People make a living from it, but it does depend on what you're willing/able to do...

Where are you based?
Would you move to somewhere else?
How far are you willing to travel to work?
How much of the time are you happy to be away from home?
What type of outdoor work would be you OK doing?
In reply to steve maher:

Multi discipline sells. £6k better spent on BCU awards + SPSA + maybe caving, then other bits and bobs like bushcraft IMHO. DofE work and Prince's Trust type stuff is to look forward to. Very little proper guiding/teaching stuff in my experience.

Also get a driving ticket - it's all gone mental out there and I think we're on last legs for grandad rights.

You can make a living, yes, but nearly all the instructors I know (and it's a lot) either have a much better off partner (me); have come from somewhere else (Forces, Police) and have pensions to look forward to; have another iron in the fire (I.T. consultants, teachers); or don't mind living hand to mouth (these tend to be the younger ones - my wife won't let us and the kids live in a van...).

Rope access is a fair option but I couldn't make it mix, as in I'd get offered work from both fields, take one then never get asked again for the one I dropped. People like you to say yes and if you don't you go down the pecking order. Eventually dropped the access stuff.

Good luck.
 jezb1 11 Apr 2014
In reply to steve maher:

I make an ok living out of my MIA.

My work is a mix of teaching leading type stuff, working on ML/SPA courses, staff training, D of E, Snowdon guiding type stuff and a small amount of SPA type work.

There's enough work out there but don't expect it just to come to you without putting some serious time and effort in working, getting known and hunting work out plus making your own leads.

Not sure where you get the figure of £6K from?
OP marzi 11 Apr 2014
In reply to jezb1:

the cost of the tickets, training and assessment
1200 ml via pyb
1200 wml pyb
1800 mia
1800 mic
= 6000

not including the insurance, the ami membership, the registration fees, and first aid courses etc etc
 jezb1 11 Apr 2014
In reply to steve maher:
Forgot about WML...

I would go for:
ML - Already done
WML - £800 with an independent including accom
MIA - £1700
MIC - £1400

£3900

There you go I saved you some money

I couldn't see myself doing a different job so I never really considered how much it was all costing etc.

I haven't done WML yet and probably not interested in MIC but I found going through ML & MIA a great experience. Hard work but I loved it all and I'm still learning lots.
Post edited at 17:53
 Jamie B 11 Apr 2014
In reply to steve maher:

You can make it work, although as you've probably guessed you'll never be rich.

I'd echo what others have said about being as versatile as possible and nurturing every contact. If you do good work people will come back to you.
OP marzi 21 Apr 2014
In reply to marzi:

Thanks for all the replies its been helpfull in making choices.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...