UKC

Kalymnos - A few questions...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jackwd 11 Apr 2014
Hey all, got a few questions and thought I would put them to the collective "wisdom" of UKC.

Firstly, is there a hostel in Kos which is cheap that I could use the night we get there? Flight arrives late so we'd have to spend the night there.

How much is scooter/moped hire on the island, will it be reasonably easy to get one hired with under a years driving experience/being under 25?

What cheap accommodation should we go for? Any recommendations?

Is it going to be too hot at the start of July?

More will probably come...

ck85 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Jackwd:

not sure about a hostel in kos - I've slept on a sun lounger on the beach before. You can always try to catch the ferry, as far as I'm aware it'll wait for the last Ryanair flight.

Scooter hire is easy as long as you have a license, around 12-14 euros a day I think depending on how long you rent it for.

I'd recommend getting accommodation in Missouri because then you can walk to loads of the crags. Most of the apartments are the same - studio with a couple of single beds, kitchenette and bathroom. Ritas apartments were lovely, they were nice and quiet and near the town swimming pool and she left something for breakfast each day outside your room. Panormitis was awesome too, a little more expensive. The accommodation was the same but it was below the Grande Grotta and had it's own swimming pool which was great in the afternoons.

I've been out in May, June and August and although it is hotter in June and August (once the sun hits the crag at about 2pm ish - depending on crag- it's too hot to climb) the mornings are cool and the crags are much less crowded so it's easier to get on the stuff you want to do. So personally I'd rather go in the Summer months.
 migs493 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Jackwd:

Just got back from Kaly. The ferry waits for the last flight it costs €6 one way. Taxi is €15. To port then another €15 to Masouri . There is lots of accommodation in Masouri & Ameos. There is also Mirties but you would need transport. Bike hire can be as low as €12 per day, you'll need both parts of your licence. There were were about four different scooter hire garages in Masouri.

Regards July, too hot for me but guide book says climbing is possible all year round. There are north facing crags and some which don't get the sun until late in the day.

Hope this helps.

Mike
 carl dawson 11 Apr 2014
In reply to migs493:

Climbing is quite feasible on virtually all days all through the summer. The north (meltemi) wind keeps the effects acceptable and temps rarely above 31/32 (other than the occasional day or two). The holds are mainly rough enough to let you climb with warm skin. Plenty of north/north-west facing crags so climb until 12-2pm or later at Odyssey/Spartacus/Iannis etc... or all day at places like Secret Garden etc. All in all, I'd rather climb in summer on Kalymnos than most other so-called summer venues in mainland western Europe.
 Doug miller 12 Apr 2014
In reply to Jackwd:

The ferry runs quite late. We got the easy jet flight that landed at 10pm ish and the ferry sits waiting at port.

Mikes bikes in Missouri is €12 a day as are most other places. They will also hire out to pretty much anyone as long as you say you have ridden a bike before( if you haven't most people lie anyway)

We stayed at the edge of Missouri right under grande grotto and a double room was €25 a night

Serena Lambre 13 Apr 2014
In reply to Jackwd:

Hi Jack.

Don't worry. As others have said, the ferry owners know when the flights are and wait for them. You will be fine.

The travel to and from airports is super easy, and everything is laid on waiting for the climbers to arrive.

From airport to final destination you should allow for cab (€15) then ferry (€6) then cab (€15). You'll be in your hotel by 10:30. But it is recommended that you stop at a late night supermarket on your way, or you'll have no tea, water, milk, breakfast, etc!

On the first day buy a few bottles of water, then keep the bottles and fill up for free from a fresh spring water tap on Massouri high street. (Looks like a shrine with nice brickwork and stone benches!)

Scooter hire varies from €8 a day in the town centre to €12 from Mike's Bikes, depending on the age of the scooter.

As for accommodation, allow for €20 to €25 per day. Note that a lot of places do not have 24 hour hot water though! Personally, cannot recommend Hotel Philoxenia highly enough. 24 hour hot water, swimming pool, Wi-Fi, and at the foot of Grande Grotta, so perfect location for walking to crags.

http://www.philoxenia-kalymnos.com/#!/pageHome
(Proprietor is Nikolas. Perfect English and has lived in the hotel all his life, so knows everything about everything!)

I'm just back this morning from my 3rd visit, so if you need to know anything else, let me know.

Serena.
 edinburgh_man 13 Apr 2014
In reply to Jackwd:

Hotel / Ferry:
As others have said, the ferry waits for the people from the flight to arrive so there is no need to book a hotel in Kos. You will be able to get the ferry the same night, guaranteed.

Airport to the ferry by taxi and costs circa 15 euro.
Ferry is 6 euro.
Taxi to Missouri is 15 euro.

Scooter Hire:
Scooter hire is 10 – 12 euro per day on average.
Be warned that some places are more reliable and hassle free than others in the event of an accident.

As others have said, Mike’s Bikes is a good place to rent from:
Friends of mine found him honest and reliable when they had a small accident.
Mike is more concerned about people’s safety than he is about damage to the scooters. He will not rent to you if he thinks that you do not know how to ride safely (which is refreshing).
You will need your UK driving licence.
Always ask for a helmet, they are not compulsory but it’s just plain stupid to ride without one.

Accommodation:
There are lots to choose from, the majority of the studios have basically the same facilities, which is typically:
- Double / twin room
- Basic kitchen with fridge, sink, kettle, electric hob / cooker.
- Bathroom with shower
- Balcony
Whilst most set ups are basically the same design, there is quite a lot of difference in the quality, cleanliness, and price.
 David Bibby 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Jackwd:

I've also just returned from this fantastic island - nothing extra to add other than to recommend Aegean Homes studios in Masouri - E10pppn and lovely and clean. No swimming pool, mind!
Dave
 is2 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Jackwd:

Just got back and would add. The number of accessible venues can be extended by using the bus which will drop off at coast road access to crag. It leaves Massouri about 9.30 a.m. returns from Emporius about 3.50 p.m. Cost is 1.5euro (only 1euro to Arginonta).

Also the ferry does not always wait for the last plane. We got in on Easy jet from Glasgow at 10.10 and by the time we got to Mastichari port it was long gone, on Tues 8th April. However the bars / restaurants have OK rooms available 25 euro for the night and our booked accommodation did not charge for the missed night.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 17 Apr 2014
In reply to is2:

> Also the ferry does not always wait for the last plane. We got in on Easy jet from Glasgow at 10.10 and by the time we got to Mastichari port it was long gone, on Tues 8th April. However the bars / restaurants have OK rooms available 25 euro for the night and our booked accommodation did not charge for the missed night.

I have always assumed this to be the case, with flights arriving at all hours of the night in the season. The traditional idea was that it waited for the last flight from Athens - if it was delayed, and I think this has become a bit of a mixed up urban legend,

Chris
 is2 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs:
I always thought the same as you Chris. It even says so on the ferry timetable summary on "climbkalymnos" website. So I was surprised to find it was gone. However, the room we got was cheap and clean, early ferry was 8 a.m. so we lost very little time from the trip. Possibly paced the journey better, stopping for a feed and couple of beers rather than rushing ever onwards into the night.
Post edited at 09:35
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 17 Apr 2014
In reply to is2:

> I always thought the same as you Chris. It even says so on the ferry timetable summary on "climbkalymnos" website. So I was surprised to find it was gone. However, the room we got was cheap and clean, early ferry was 8 a.m. so we lost very little time from the trip. Possibly paced the journey better, stopping for a feed and couple of beers rather than rushing ever onwards into the night.

We tend to arrange stop in Mastichari if the is any doubt about making the ferry - it takes the pressure off - and as you say you are up and on the rock the next day just the same!

Chris
 SonyaD 17 Apr 2014
In reply to is2:
I went out on the 5th April. Flights from both Glasgow and Edinburgh arriving at 9-9.15pm (Glasgow flight was delayed). Last ferry time was 10pm from Mastichari and we made it in plenty of time. And the ferry did actually wait for half an hour, setting off just after 10.30pm. So the ferry does wait (but not all night).

Stayed at Vorous Palace (above Prego restuarant), 15 euro a night for a room with own fridge and shower and a shared kitchen. The owner, Stavros, is a gem of a man!

Scooters - got ours from next door to the Climber's Nest for 12euro a day but book for more days and he'll probs swing you a deal. Not too fussed about licenses etc so if you forgot yours or don't have both bits then don't stress.
Post edited at 15:24

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...