UKC

Good beginner scrambling routes/books?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Charlie Low 12 Apr 2014
My mum fancies starting to do a bit of scrambling. She's done hiking for the past however many years but I think after seeing me get into climbing she fancies doing something a little more adventurous.
Do any of you have suggestions for good beginner scrambling books, or know of any good beginner scrambles around the Bristol/South West area?
In reply to charlielow:

Are you sure you want to expose your poor old mum to the likes of this?

In terms of books, have a look at Dan Bailey's guide to ridges of England, Wales and Ireland; also, cicerone do a couple of decent guides.

From Bristol, it's not so far to Snowdonia, which might present some of the best initial challenges.

Martin
 BStar 13 Apr 2014
In reply to maisie:

That book is ok, however they are not all scrambles, a lot of them are in the climbibg territory and probably wouldn't be suitablle for beginners.

Sadly there aren't a great deal of worthwhile scrambles in or around Bristol. But like Martin said, snowdonia is only a fee hours drive away. There are a few books specifically for Snowdonia, Scrambles and easy climbs in snowdonia is a good one (there is a Lake District one too that is also good), do a search for scrambles books in snowdonia and a couple should come up.
In reply to BStar:

> That book is ok, however they are not all scrambles, a lot of them are in the climbibg territory and probably wouldn't be suitablle for beginners.

Yeah, that's quite true - but Dan's book is still a pretty good one for getting some inspiration. In the southwest, I'm struggling to think of something suitably spectacular for an absolute novice - I have taken a few people on Bosigran / Commando Ridge, but that's definitely a rock climb; Lands End Long Climb is in much the same vein.

The other books you mention sound like the cicerone guides - a quick hop onto their website would be a good place to start.

Martin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...