UKC

Driving a van to the alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gali 14 Apr 2014
I want to drive my van to the alps this summer , it's a peugeot expert with one side window retro fitted. Does anyone know what I will need to do to avoid excessive ferry costs, Seats , more windows??
 alexcollins123 14 Apr 2014
In reply to gali:

ive taken a peugeot expert 9 seater (same as teh LWB verson of yours) as a car/car derived van.

They get a bit arsey about volume of goods on the phone when booking, but I've never had a problem over the last couple of trips.
 alooker 14 Apr 2014
In reply to gali:

my berlingo was fine going through as a car, I know the expert is a bit larger but give them a call. I think it's more about height/which deck you can put it on rather than if it's a commercial vehicle (windows etc).
OP gali 14 Apr 2014
In reply to alexcollins123:

It's the L2 H2 version of the expert if anyone has experience of this. thanks for info , I'll give them a call.
 Jack_Lewin 14 Apr 2014
In reply to gali:

I drove my Citroen relay swb down and it wasn't any more for the ferry than normal. No modifications to it though.
 Bruce Hooker 14 Apr 2014
In reply to gali:

I've got the L2H1 version, but it's the Tepee model with window all round. I often cross, a dozen times a year, using the tunnel often loaded up with junk, furniture, logs etc and with the back seats removed and always go through as a standard car. I haven't had any questions asked yet, I book as "car with roof rack" as it's too high to go in the double level trains. I know some ferry companies charge extra for length so it's worth checking carefully.
 Rick Graham 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

I booked my Astra van in as an Astra estate.
I booked over the phone to be sure and told them what I had done, no probs they just want the business. Also told them it was a private journey/ holiday, no goods in transit.
 alexcollins123 15 Apr 2014

we went through one year on the double height ones and when the passengers had got out and suspension raised back up, it got stuck!
OP gali 15 Apr 2014

You go to france for your logs ! fair play
DFDS seaways says it needs cooking and/or sleeping facilities - sleeping bag jetboil !!
 Jenny C 15 Apr 2014
In reply to gali:

Like others we had no issues with taking our van over in the tunnel last summer as a domestic vehicle. Vito van with no side windows back seats or conversion to camper. As others said had to be loaded into a double height section but the price was (I think) the same as if we had taken a car over.
 Bruce Hooker 16 Apr 2014
In reply to gali:

> You go to france for your logs !

No, I bring English logs to France

I haven't got a wood burning fire in Britain but I have go a load of logs and trees to cut. Half a ton of logs doesn't seem to increase fuel consumption much and avoids them being wasted.
 peebles boy 16 Apr 2014
In reply to gali:

Always thought it's based solely on height and length? Been several times in a transit, always just booked on as a private vehicle.

Went by Chunnel once, filled in the form accurately and it said my SWB Low Roof Transit was car dimensions so booked a car ticket. Argued for a while at check in, got them to measure it, and it came in (as I knew it would!) under the car length and height sizes. Result!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...