UKC

Mid grade Cheedale recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Leo Woodfelder 15 Apr 2014
Hi all, hoping to get to Cheedale this weekend and looking for some mid grade recommendations. Going with a mixed group some of which will want some easy stuff as well.

Ideally I'm looking for grades between 6b and 7a. Not that I've successfully led a 7a outdoors yet but hey, it's good to have ambitions!

Cheers guys
 climber34neil 15 Apr 2014
In reply to Leo Woodfelder:

Max wall and two tier probably your best bet although there are a few routes about 6b ish there are more from 6c upwards
 RockSteady 15 Apr 2014

Quality Control is a really fun F7a at Two Tier
In reply to Leo Woodfelder: Cheers guys both sectors looks tip top! Going to give the Max works I try and see how I fare!

Si dH 15 Apr 2014

Max works is good climbing but a sandbag at 6c+ and has a desperate second clip. You'd be better off trying one of the 7as on max wall or quality control. There is also a good 6c on embankment just right of the central groove.
 Bulls Crack 15 Apr 2014

Not much easy stuff in Cheedale btw
 Mick Ward 15 Apr 2014

Blackwell Holt for the easier stuff, Quality Control for the F7a.

Caveat. It's 13 years since I left, so things may have changed.

mick
In reply to Si dH:

Cheers for the heads up Si! Think I'm going to just head down and see what takes my fancy. Not done a great deal of sport in the UK, mostly trad really. Is it just me or does sport feel easier in Spain grade for grade?
 Al Evans 16 Apr 2014
In reply to Mick Ward:

Sport climbing in Cheedale!!!, When I left it it were a trad place.
 Mick Ward 16 Apr 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Well, Blackwell Holt (Halt?) was a bit grim before the bolts went in. And The Embankment was always semi-bolted.

Have had great trad and sport days in Cheedale. Generally I think peaceful co-existence of trad and sport is better than hybrids, i.e. a few bolts, a few wires. Horses for courses though.

The last few years before I left were spent going to The Cornice. It was sad to see Chee Tor neglected. I think some guys cleaned it up, a few years ago. Good effort. Will probably need regular cleaning (and traffic) though. A great crag. Your 'Sunny Goodge Street' was nice.

Mick
 Jon Stewart 16 Apr 2014
In reply to Mick Ward:

> The last few years before I left were spent going to The Cornice. It was sad to see Chee Tor neglected. I think some guys cleaned it up, a few years ago. Good effort.

It's not really a cleanable crag, what with the luxuriant canopy above providing a constant drizzle of detritus down the routes. Individual routes get a clean when someone does them, but cleaning up the whole crag would be as realistic as ridding Gogarth of all its green pubes.

> Will probably need regular cleaning (and traffic) though. A great crag.

Indeed. It's nice to have a thread on here so you can go down and do a route that's been done, and then clean one or two yourself and report back so others can do the same. I'll be starting next week I think.

> Your 'Sunny Goodge Street' was nice.

Good route.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...