UKC

shoe recommendation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
notaclue 23 Apr 2014
I have entered a 50 mile ultra in the lakes in october and need some advice on shoes

At present I wear Inov8 mudclaw for fell races and have Salomon Sense Ultra for ultras

I doubt I my feet will survive up to 15 hours in mudclaws and the sense Ultra doesn't have good enough grip for the lakes.

So considering either
Inov8 Roclite 295 of Salomon Fellraiser - anyone got any recommendations as to which of these to pick or even any other shoe to go for? (Don't want to spend over £85)
 The Potato 23 Apr 2014
In reply to notaclue:

yes the fellraiser is totally poo on rocks unless completely dry, i really didnt feel safe in them at all.

I havent used the roclite but did have their predecessors the mudroc 290 which were very good on all surfaces and even ok on road for a while.
 steveriley 23 Apr 2014
In reply to notaclue:
I've used Roclite 295s (and the NB101, sadly now gone) on a 55k trail run and they were both fine. I was never concerned about grip though - will that be an issue on yours?
XXXX 23 Apr 2014
In reply to notaclue:

I did 105 miles in Terrocs. I would recommend something with more cushioning!

Banned User 77 23 Apr 2014
In reply to notaclue:

what trails, sense ultra will be fine. I wear road shoes for most trail races and do fine...

In an ultra you run slow.. a road shoe is designed to grip rock..

I've done a few articles and interviews for trail running magazines and they are never happy when I say a road shoe is fine for most trails.. most trail shoes are just heavier bulkier versions of a road shoe..

For the IAU world trail champs I just wore Adidas Adios road shoes, it was technical enough that there were some major falls and plenty of wet muddy single track but a road shoe was as good as anything.
notaclue 23 Apr 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

It is this race
http://www.highterrainevents.co.uk/24.html

I have only ever done fell races in the lakes (3 shires/langdale/kentmere) so imagine grip is needed even on lakeland trails
 tony 23 Apr 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

> what trails, sense ultra will be fine. I wear road shoes for most trail races and do fine...

> In an ultra you run slow.. a road shoe is designed to grip rock..

> I've done a few articles and interviews for trail running magazines and they are never happy when I say a road shoe is fine for most trails.. most trail shoes are just heavier bulkier versions of a road shoe..

There's a Facebook thread going on at the moment where a similar question was posed about shoes for either the Highland Fling or the WHW, and the consensus was definitely to go for road shoes. I'm now wondering what to wear for the Lairig Ghru.
 Banned User 77 23 Apr 2014
In reply to tony:

If its dry I'd be tempted for a road or cushioned trail shoe.. its gravelly sandy trails for much of it then hard rock and scree for a short section over the bealach.

NotaClue: I'd consider something with grip then, but that's more of a fell race than a trail race, 3000m of ascent in 80km is a big amount, in the alps you can do that by zig zags but in the UK the paths are more direct generally..

You've got everything on that but a fair amount of proper fell terrain, especially if its wet, which it's October in the lakes.. It depends on the trails, the lakeland 50 route is very much trail running and I've ran most sections of that in road shoes, especially if its dry they are fine.. but this route is much higher level fell/trail running.

The main thing though is comfort, but you'll want grip and also some cushioning. I wore the x-talons for a traily mountain race in Slovenia and whilst comfy in general my soles took a battering on the rockier sections.

have you tried the speedcross? Not worn the fell raiser so can't comment but they look similar, the profiles are different. I love the speedcross but the high heel provides issues for some people.

Either those or the roclites would be OK but the fit is the biggest issue by far.

tony 23 Apr 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

> If its dry I'd be tempted for a road or cushioned trail shoe.. its gravelly sandy trails for much of it then hard rock and scree for a short section over the bealach.

That's the way I'm heading - I often run in Adrenaline ASRs, which I reckon should be fine for most of it. Just need to get off the waiting list and onto the start list.
 steelbru 24 Apr 2014
In reply to notaclue:

Done the Lairig Ghru the last 2 years - 2 years ago wore Roclites, last year Speedcross. Both were good. This year, not sure probably Roclite 295, or maybe new shoes bought today Nike Zoom Wildhorse which feel very good !!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...