UKC

Troutdale Pinnacle - centenary

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ron Kenyon 26 Apr 2014
Having just been to the centenary of CB on Scafell - thought you might be interested in another centenary of a well known and well climbed route - this is Troutdale Pinncle - climbed by Mallinson and Mayson on 4 May 1914.

There was also a pinnacle on the "platform" below the top pitch which has since gone.

Mallinson and Mayson also climbed Bowderstone Pinncle in May 1914 (no exact date)

goose299 26 Apr 2014
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

Two routes I've actually done. Awesome bit of history there
 Martin Bennett 26 Apr 2014
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

I reckon this could catch on Ron; perhaps become the next "Hard Rock". Publish a chronological list of 99,98,97 (ad inf) year old climbs, perhaps by region, and it could provide a focus for a generation of ageing and jaded climbers who've "done" all the other tick lists (well, those they're capable of!) and need an excuse to start again on all the classics. I know, I fit my criteria perfectly!
 Stone Idle 26 Apr 2014
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

Hi Martin - nothing much in Cornwall from 1914 - I am likely to be too old when we get to a decent anniversary. Unless I move N!

Roger
 ark05 26 Apr 2014
you have missed the centenary for commando ridge.. 1902

http://www.rockfax.com/databases/r.php?i=33406
OP Ron Kenyon 27 Apr 2014
In reply to Martin Bennett:

I know I am getting a bit old and often jaded - but as you say can give interesting days out.

Not always for the "old and jaded" - there were 4 climbers out of 8 doing the centenary ascent of Central Buttress who were in their 20's.

Should get dressed up in period clothing - my brother in law did centenary ascents of Observatory Buttress on "The Ben" and also NE Buttress on Aonach Beag in Edwardian clothing.

Another theme is 50 years - the likes of Holy Ghost, Totalitarian, The Ghost, Medlar and Mandrake - to name a few.

50 years fits well with me as it is 50 years since I started climbing with Ramblers Hangover at Scout Crag with group from School (thanks to Keith King) - but now I starting to show my age !!!

Looking ahead 2026 will be bi-centenary of first ascent of Pillar Rock.
 Offwidth 27 Apr 2014
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

I wish all climbers could display the same degree of 'jadedness' as those who attend such events. They seem to be pretty keen to me.
 Martin Bennett 27 Apr 2014
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

You predate me by a year Ron - it'll be 50 years for me on 13th Feb next year. I've been thinking of a suitable climb/venue to celebrate the event. I doubt if, at that time of year, my old bones'll feel like repeating the rather inauspicious climb in what's since become known as Denham Quarry that started it all for me.

My thanks go to Messrs Wilcock and England, who got me to the Lakes for the first time a fortnight later - first climb "proper" was the rather snowy 600 feet of Raven Bastion in Combe Ghyll, followed by a walk to the top of Glaramara. You never forget 'em eh?

2026 on Pillar? It'd be nice to think one might be there.
OP Ron Kenyon 27 Apr 2014

Is that "a date" for 2026 - could hobble up and do "The Old West Climb" !
 Rog Wilko 27 Apr 2014
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

I wonder if anyone else apart from me did a centenary ascent of what I think is the earliest route to still get VS (or is it MVS?) ie Eagles Nest Ridge Direct. As recorded in my UKC log, it was a bit of a bleak day.
 Martin Bennett 27 Apr 2014
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

OK Ron, you're on - see you at the car park. I'll by then have had an even bigger back cog fitted to my bike! Unless your proposed hobble is via The High Level Route, as tradition might suggest? By then, for octogenarians, such an approach could demand a bivi, methinks!

We can see if we can drag Rob Andrews along too, he being "Our Mutual Friend" - oh horrors, I've just realised there must be a whole generation who'll think that's a Facebook reference rather than a great title for a great novel!
OP Ron Kenyon 28 Apr 2014
I think we might be able to (or have to) hire a helicopter - though by then there may be some special springs to help one along.

Ron
 butteredfrog 28 Apr 2014

I am willing to volunteer my services as porter for such an event.
OP Ron Kenyon 29 Apr 2014
In reply to butteredfrog:

We can communicate on UKC in 12 years time.
 Martin Bennett 29 Apr 2014

Excellent - you'll be a mere stripling of only about 60 I guess?
 butteredfrog 29 Apr 2014

A mere 56ish by then I think!
 butteredfrog 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

If you get the right chip fitted, we should be able to arrange things telepathically!

In all seriousness, keep me in the loop!
 Martin Bennett 29 Apr 2014

> A mere 56ish by then I think!

Nobbut a lad! Even better.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...