UKC

Abseiling near Portsmouth

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 26 Apr 2014
Hi folks,
have lived near here for 4 years but have never been climbing anywhere near here at all, have always headed to Wales or the Lakes.
I'm looking for a relatively safe place to take a couple of mates abseiling. Total beginners so nothing too drastic for them. And no, not the Spinnaker Tower!
Thanks in advance, Den
 disco_davis 26 Apr 2014
In reply to Denni:

Hi Denni

Cheyne Wears on Portland springs to mind for me - 2 hours away. Maybe not 'near' but still worth it. You can walk in and out with ease. Great for releasable ab. Loads of climbing and bouldering too.

R
 Coops_13 27 Apr 2014
In reply to Denni:

One of the chalk quarries?
 breed 27 Apr 2014
In reply to Denni:
Theres a good spot in the quarry by the george inn on top of port down hill, just below micks burger van. In the middle of the quarry theres a cave in the bottom and a clean line of chalk above that you can abseil. I think people have climbed it mixed but don't know for sure. Never abseiled from it myself but been and inspected the anchors ( big trees and fence posts) and seems good. A friend takes groups there happily. Enjoy.
OP Denni 27 Apr 2014
In reply to breed:

Cheers for the replies folks.
Thought about Portland as I know it quite well so definitely an option and know the chalk quarries are regularly mix climbed but didn't know there were decent anchors or lines there.

Will have to go and have a look at some point.
Thanks again, Den

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...