UKC

Round of Glencoe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 27 Apr 2014

If anyone is unfamiliar with this, it is the round (running) of six Munros on one side of the glen and two (Aonach Eagach) on the other. The challenge is to do it in under 12 hours.

Anyone one here done it?

I have had two attempts, one last year (failed four hills in due to tiredness) and one last weekend (got the six but took too long).

I know why I failed this time (wrong food, too warm), I hope to get back some time this coming month to finish it off.

Any hints on running that kind of thing? Question for experienced distance runners of this sort of thing-what would you eat?

R
Post edited at 19:40
 petestack 27 Apr 2014
In reply to Roberttaylor:

> Anyone one here done it?

Yes.

> Any hints on running that kind of thing? Question for experienced distance runners of this sort of thing-what would you eat?

See my write-up here:
http://www.petestack.com/running/glencoe.html

OP Roberttaylor 27 Apr 2014
In reply to petestack:

In reply to petestack:

I've already read your writeup, a few times! I was going to be lazy and only do the Munros, skipping the extended Aonach Eagach bit too. Good website btw.

My latest attempt started via D gully buttress (next time I will use curved ridge) as I find this a lot easier way to gain height.

If I can get even close to your time (for my wimps version) I will be pleased.

R
 petestack 27 Apr 2014

> I've already read your writeup, a few times!

OK, guessed you'd maybe seen it but you did ask!

> I was going to be lazy and only do the Munros

Worth doing the Tops too... IMHO a much more satisfying trip for quite modest extra effort.

> skipping the extended Aonach Eagach bit too.

From conversation with Bobby Shields last year, he also included that bit where I'd previously assumed he hadn't. So meant to update the SHR page to make that clear, but forgot.

> Good website btw.

Thanks, but sadly not getting updated like it should be these days!

> My latest attempt started via D gully buttress (next time I will use curved ridge) as I find this a lot easier way to gain height.

I've run the Buachaille by Curved Ridge too, but (as you know) did my round anticlockwise.

> If I can get even close to your time (for my wimps version) I will be pleased.

Still hoping to have another crack at it myself sometime (chasing the sub-10 that Dan and Jon just missed).
OP Roberttaylor 27 Apr 2014

Cheers Pete. Will hopefully crack it next time, need to refine my route choice...
 climbhead 28 Apr 2014

I did it last year - one my best days out in Scotland.

For some details see here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=552686&v=1#x7374283

Planning a sub-10hour attempt in June...
OP Roberttaylor 28 Apr 2014
In reply to climbhead:

that's really handy, thanks.
 climbhead 28 Apr 2014

No worries - enjoy! Let us know how you get on

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...