UKC

The Fellsman

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wonrek 29 Apr 2014
Completed this 61 mile race through the Yorkshire Dales in the small hours of Sunday morning.

Billed as a high level traverse it's far beyond the hardest race I've foine at that distance. Superbly organised, everything ran like clockwork at each of the 26 aid stations and controls (I did feels sorry for the volunteers on the hilltops waiting for us runners in a hoolie!!)

Anyone else do it?

And anyone got any suggestions for getting peat bog black off my legs????
 Bob 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Wonrek:

Well done! One of the few races I've ever DNF'd - I just hadn't done the miles in preparation.

Err, wash?
 thedatastream 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Wonrek:

Well done that man, how long did it take you? How was the weather?

I entered but had to pull out with a knee injury 2 weeks before the event. Sad face. Next year!
 Chris the Tall 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Wonrek:

Yep, I did it.....in 1984 !

Back then it was mainly done by long distance walkers and my time of 21hrs 30 mins put me in the top half. Apparently it was in danger of fizzling out but now attracts a lot of adventure racers, so I expect the times have come down a bit. Good to see it is still going.

It's also a month earlier than it used to be, which means the bogs have had less time to dry out. How was Fleet Moss ? Don't worry about your legs, they'll wear clean in a month or two !
In reply to Wonrek:

Well done young lady! I'd suggest you use an extra coarse sandpaper followed by a salt water bath for the peat!

In reply to Wonrek:

Good effort. And CTT too, belatedly. 21 hours 30 minutes sounds like a pretty reasonable time for 61 miles of peat bog to me.

jcm
annie le 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Wonrek:

I did it this year, my second time. First time took a silly amount of time and I cried the last ten miles. Finished after most were packed and gone. This year was far easier, not sure my time yet though.I love it! And yeah, massive cuddos for the two marshals in bivi bags.
I had ingrained bog until I took my group up the gorge today, now I'm all shiney again
OP Wonrek 30 Apr 2014
In reply to annie le: I'm still black and boggy.....seven showers and a bath later!

Still no idea on my finish time, I think it was around 22hrs but really not sure!

Entries open 1/1/15....I'm so there, totally beyond any of the other uk races I think!?

OP Wonrek 30 Apr 2014
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:
I got the black and decker on it.....it's red and black now!

Last time I take advice from a well meaning grumpy goat!!!!

Chris the Tall 30 Apr 2014
In reply to annie le:

> I cried the last ten miles.

This thread is bringing back long buried memories ! Those last 10 miles, over Great whernside were agony. Never mind tears, I was grumpy as a bear with a sore head and hallucinating ! The blisters in my heels were so bad I did much of the final descent on my arse. In those days the race started at 12 noon, so we had been de-grouped .Having been able to keep up until now, I hit the wall in a big way and was completely on my own. Never felt so low.

The 100 mile MTB race I did a couple of years ago was easy in comparison - it only took 12 hours for a start. Has to be said once I discovered climbing and beer I knew I could never get myself fit enough for the fellsman again, so maximum respect for the pair of you who want to do it more than once !
 liz j 30 Apr 2014
In reply to Wonrek:

Well done Wonrek!! Sounds like good training for the Cotswold Century!!
OP Wonrek 01 May 2014
In reply to liz j:
Thank you

Training for Lakeland 100 first!!

Final results were published last night, 22.08 was my finish time. Slower than I'd hoped for but looking back at the course I'm delighted with that and will of course be back to redress the time next year.

Awesome event, I'm still glowing with pride and pear bog

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...