UKC

Fontainbleau: guide or climbing partner 18th - 22nd May

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bethechange 11 May 2014

Can anyone advise whether there are guides for hire in Fontainbleau? Or how to get involved with local climbers?

I'm asking on behalf of someone who is going there on their own next week.

Any advice how to go about this is appreciated.

Perhaps someone knows of a guide? or a climbing shop or bar/cafe to enquire at?

p.s. or if anyone knows if there's a french equivalent to ukc forums (I've been on font site).
Post edited at 00:28
Miranda 11 May 2014
In reply to bethechange:

You don't really need a guide. It's a very friendly place. Buy the jingo wobbly guide and turn up at the most popular places; like franchard or elephant or cul de chien and be friendly.
Or just post on here saying "who'll be in Font these dates?"
In extremis it's ok to climb on your own. Just like a climbing wall. I have.

rj_townsend 11 May 2014
In reply to bethechange:

Do you/they want a guide for finding the way around, or for instruction? If the former, a guide really isn't necessary. The guidebooks give a good indication of the areas (although the maps in the purple guide take a bit of getting used to) so just turn up and have a play.

If the latter, Font probably isn't the best place to learn.

If you/they are experienced and are looking for lifts, partners, spotters etc, taking a wander around the Musadiere campsite or the Le Grez one will be a pretty certain way to find groups of boulderers.
OP bethechange 11 May 2014
In reply to Miranda:

Thanks, it's a younger person who has done a bit of bouldering indoors in UK but might need a wee bit of support to make the transition outdoors. I'll suggest the book you recommended.
OP bethechange 11 May 2014
In reply to rj_townsend:

Bit of both really. As I said to miranda it's to help make transition from indoor to outdoor bouldering, improve technique and be shown around/introduced to other climbers, really.

Do you think it will be busy this time of year? Are there usually a lot of climbers around?

Removed User 11 May 2014
In reply to bethechange:

In the morning and evenings, by the look of the temperatures. It'll be too hot midday to climb. I know of at least 2 groups that are there at the moment - one of 6 and one of 4, so with that in mind I think it's safe to say it'll be busy.
 rj_townsend 11 May 2014
In reply to bethechange:

Yes, I imagine it'll be busy - May is a popular month to be there before it gets too hot.

Best advice to them is no to get hung up about grades - Font is notoriously difficult, with many climber shocked at getting thrown off even the lower grade routes
OP bethechange 17 May 2014
Thanks, I'll pass on the additional advice guys.

Someone got in touch about a group of 20 going this week from London/Brighton, so hopefully my friend can climb with them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...