UKC

Alpine Climbing near Oslo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Nolan 11 May 2014
Heading to Norway from the 4th until the 13th of June, flying in to Oslo Rygge. Was just wondering if there is any easy alpine climbing which would be easy to get to without a car? ie. using public transport.

I've read on Summit Post that you can get a bus from Oslo to Jotunheimen, is this feasible at this time of year and can we access the alpine climbing from where the bus would drop us off?

Thanks!
Mike
OP Mike Nolan 16 May 2014
In reply to Mike Nolan:

Bump! Somebody must know something - I'd appreciate any information at all!

Jonny2vests 16 May 2014
In reply to Mike Nolan:
I imagine you'd have to go pretty far for anything approaching alpine height. Hardangervidda?
Post edited at 15:13
 HeMa 16 May 2014
In reply to Mike Nolan:

by alpine climbing you mean what? easy snow plodding, alpine rock or alpine scrampling with odd glaciers thrown in between?
 Kid Spatula 16 May 2014
In reply to Mike Nolan:

The Hurrungane region is well Alpine. Glaciers and the lot. Doable by public transport apparently.
 Oo 16 May 2014
No idea of where to go, but for public transport www.177mr.no is the site to use.
In reply to HeMa: Anything really. Going with my girlfriend who's not done much apart from trad in the UK before. We're spending 2 weeks in Chamonix in June so something easy would be good to introduce her to it.

Cheers for the suggestions so far, I realise we're pretty far South so travelling somewhere high might not be a viable option.

Cheers,
Mike
 Droyd 16 May 2014
In reply to Kid Spatula:
Yeah, Hurrungane is around 250km from Oslo and possible to get to and around via public transport. If you're interested, this is probably the best English-language guide to the area, and is pretty good: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scandinavian-Mountains-Peaks-Metres-Hurrungane/dp/0...
Covers a lot in terms of walking and climbing peaks, and there's a lot in there about how to do it without a car.
Post edited at 20:16
In reply to DBoothroyd:

Cheers for the recommendation. Just ordered that book so hopefully I'll find something in there!

Has anyone ever stayed in any of the DNT huts?

Mike
 wbo 16 May 2014
In reply to Mike Nolan:
Frequently - what do you need to know?
OP Mike Nolan 17 May 2014
In reply to wbo:

Are they any good and do you need to book in advance? Essentially, are they worth it?
 wbo 17 May 2014
In reply to Mike Nolan:

In my experience yes, and generally no I don't book. They are absolutely worth it.
OP Mike Nolan 17 May 2014
In reply to wbo: Sounds good, think I'll join. Is there somewhere to pick up a key conveniently in Oslo or Otta?
 Toby_W 17 May 2014
In reply to Mike Nolan: lucky devil. I've hitched 30 km from hurrungane and then caught the coach back to Oslo. Coach was very civilised and went through some gorgeous scenery.

Have a great time

Toby

Billhook 17 May 2014
In reply to Mike Nolan:

I've been to the area you intend going. In June there was enough snow to ski for miles although it was softish. And it was sunny enough to get our eyes burnt the once (twice shy!)

The DNT huts are luxurious and there was no one using the one or two we stayed in which meant we had to dig now in the entrance out of one.

Can't comment on the public bus service but the drive from Bergen was stunning!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...