UKC

Single parents getting outside.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 flopsicle 13 May 2014
I've been back climbing at the wall for about 18mths and loving it but I have slowly started to want to get out more and more. I have no gear but I would fix that if there was a chance it'd be used, I have almost no outdoor climbing skills, money is tight to buy the skills and I have no reliable childcare for long days outdoors. I can belay though...

Given the childcare situation I've started to think that realistically my daughter and I are a job lot for the duration! On the good side she's a little climber too (6) and even more desperate than me to get out!

I've wondered about trying to pal up with other parents who have mini climbers but climbing seems to be the land of 2.4 kids and I'm not sure they'd want a didi know nout family in tow. The other thing is I feel very differently about getting to know and trust someone when it's my daughter on a rope. I'm lucky that when I have climbed outside and when my daughter's been we've been spoilt in going with someone very experienced, which unfortunately means she has a tight climbing schedule.

I'm not yet ready to go post on the partners section, firstly because I struggle to know what I could offer to the mix and secondly I'm not sure how to go about knowing it'll be safe (reasonably!).

I want to get on rock outdoors too, but even if I learned to set up a good top rope it'd be a start, anything is a start!

Is there anyone else been in a similar boat? Any ideas?
In reply to flopsicle:

One option is getting people who are logging hours for their SPA assessment...
OP flopsicle 13 May 2014
In reply to mh554:

Thanks - that sounds like a good idea. Do you need different age groups etc for SPA assessments? It'd still leave me with checking someone out, which sounds awful but it's the internet and no-one knows anyone from Adam! I've seen some proper looney stuff at the wall from whopping traverses on the auto belay to some donk doing a weird belay with his leg!

TobyA 13 May 2014
In reply to flopsicle:

I can totally understand your worries - I know when I take my kids climbing I worry about the quality of the top rope anchor more than normal. This is irrational of course because I take my own safety and that of my adult friends rather seriously too! But that's just being a parent I guess!. It might depend on where you live and what the local possibilities are. Around me its quite normal now for even the trad routes to have bolted top anchors often with a chain and insitu krab, hence setting up a super safe top rope is very easy - just add a couple of screw gates of your own, but making a good top rope anchor on lots of British trad crags needs more skill and gear to do it well.

Hopefully you can find someone else with kids who would like to go out and you just need to be upfront with them from the start that you are worried about this. Try and go to crags where getting to the top easy, walk around to the top with the person, look at how and why they set up the anchor where they do. Is their redundancy in the system (more than one anchor point)? Are anchors equalised? Will the rope rub? etc etc. I reckon someone should be able to explain what they are doing clearly if they know what they are doing!
In reply to flopsicle:

Or for more piece of mind there may be people training for the MIA award. To do these awards the individual needs to be registered with the governing body.

Visit... http://www.mountain-training.org/

You can then to see an individuals CV/Logbook
 winhill 13 May 2014
In reply to flopsicle:

The simplest and quickest way to get going would be to go to Horseshoe Quarry.

There are some routes there that, on the upper tier (Dr Who names, sector name escapes me now) that you can lean over to reach the lower off from above. So you can set up a top rope very easily. They're low but enough to keep a little one entertained all day, to make it worth the walk up.

Getting the right gear is going to cost a bit, a clip stick or trango spider can help enormously.

The problem for little kids is that the easy sport stuff that's available often has unfriendly (reachy) starts and that is always going to be a bit of an issue.

Easy trad climbs are generally much friendlier at the start ( and after as well) but you're going to need more training and more gear, so more expensive.

Nottingham Wall are doing the subsidised trad courses again this year (£100 for 2 days IIRC? £60 for 1 day)so that would be a good start.

Paul (Atkinson?) from Peak Mountaineering does good intro courses but I think it might be a bit late now, as he does them in April and May, he advertises on here.
 rj_townsend 13 May 2014
In reply to flopsicle:

Where are you based? Use the Search function on here to see if there is a club in your area - this can be a good way of finding others in a similar situation. Club trips often involve families.
OP flopsicle 13 May 2014
Some really good ideas. I'm in Notts and have seen the courses advertised but the dates were awkward for me to go. I think I've held off because I don't want to go on a course where I learn things I can't then practice and I haven't seen a course for stuff I can. If I went on a leading course I'd be stuck to get out again on a regular enough basis to retain the skills and keep it safe. At the moment top roping and setting up an anchor is about the only thing I can think of that I can then go and do with the little un'. I have ample time with her but very sketchy time on my own - which makes even the course attendance a little harder!

I might try contacting local clubs, I've felt shy over having a munchkin in tow as when I've read sights there seem to be occasional 'family days'.

I've thought of just going bouldering myself as then I'm not letting anyone else down should my daughter's time with her Dad not happen. I'm worried I'd be the only very useless middle aged girly surrounded by sweet uni lads trying not to laugh!

I'll have a look at the MIA site. Something like that or SPA would be excellent, especially if candidates need to tick off ages etc. My daughter would be a very easy 6 yr old as she's dead keen and very able (for 6!).

I think somethings we could offer as a couple is that I don't mind driving and my daughter might be quite good confidence giver to another kid

OP flopsicle 13 May 2014
In reply to rj_townsend:

I've sent enquiries to 2 clubs - fingers crossed.
 Ian Rock 13 May 2014
In reply to flopsicle:

I know funds are short, but have you thought about putting your daughter on a NICAS (National Indoor Climbing Achievement Scheme). They normally work out at around a tenner per weekly session.
Once she reaches level 2 she will be able and allowed to belay from a top rope unsupervised on indoor walls. Not that this is much help in belaying you, but it will mean she will make friends with other kids on the course who are likely to have parents into climbing that you can hook up with.

Even if you don't meet anyone through the NICAS course, there are normally climbing parents that take their kids climbing indoors on weekend mornings, who might relish the chance for their child to belay your daughter under supervision and visa versa.

Either way, your daughter will have plenty of fun and the chances are you'll end up meeting another parent who can help with your first steps outside.
OP flopsicle 13 May 2014
In reply to Ian Rock:

She can start the NICAS course at 7 and does the kids club now. Barring one couple all the 'grown ups' tend to either watch the kids or play on ipads while I tend to chop between watches and climbing.

I try to go 2 or 3 times a week and have met loads of people, maybe in summer when a clear day isn't so special I might blag a trip out but to be fair I totally get that climbers want to get the good days out climbing. We did get out last year and I count it as something very generous.
In reply to flopsicle:

Can you find a friend (either one of yours or your daughters) to make a foursome. This would lessen the apprehension of going out with a nutter. Then give me a shout!! Happy to help you & friend & kids have a good day on crag (& show you how to set up toprope etc). I am not a serious nutter, tho my wife thinks climbing is madness. I can even produce current police clearance certificate (required for my jobs). Feel free to check out profile etc & get in touch to discuss further. Nik 07788137462
 David Coley 13 May 2014
In reply to flopsicle:

Join a club. Lots of parents in the one I belong to and kids come to some meets. We even have camp outs for the kids.
OP flopsicle 13 May 2014
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

Thanks - I may well take up that offer! I once offered to bring my CRB to buy a car, it was very good and very cheap and the lady was worried about anyone viewing it, bought it too.

In reply to David Coley:

I've contacted 2 so we'll see what happens.
 wbo 13 May 2014
In reply to flopsicle:

All I can say to you is good luck and go for it. I am a single parent with 2 children of 7 and 11 who manages to get a lot of stuff done, and my bestest climbing partner has 2 children pretty much 100% and she gets a ridiculous amount done.

I have found that when dealing with others that as long as you#re reliable you will be forgiven the occasional short day/tantrum. I find it much more annoying to deal with other people who don't have children , but are unreliable.

Running comparatively short days together with something else like swiming or camping seems a winning combination all round. But I think when you get going you will find it much easier than you fear.
 Carolyn 13 May 2014
In reply to flopsicle:

I wouldn't worry too much that other families won't want you - in my experience, the more adults the easier it is, and some new kids to play with often keeps the kids happier.

And I imagine there'll often be people in a similar situation to me - husband disappeared off climbing big crags (on the excuse of doing his MIA....), me left with the kids, but not really able to manage two of them at a crag by myself. I've sometimes teamed up with a friend (whose wife was often working weekends) to take all 3 kids to the crag.

Sussing them out I can see is a problem - not one I've had to deal with, as most of the friends I've seen out on the crags lots with mountain rescue, so know I trust them.
In reply to flopsicle:

I am working midweek afternoon/evening shifts at Peak Park campsite below Stanage next week but one (27-28-29 May), so will be at crag for the day til 4 pm before starting work. No climbing arrangements/plans confirmed as yet (& no crystal ball for weather forecast). I think it might be half-term for some areas. If you wanted to try planning something then I would be available. You may also have success with club activities then. Best of luck with whatever works out. Nik
OP flopsicle 13 May 2014
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

It is half term and I have the Tuesday off with no plans. There's something I need to sort first but may well text tomorrow. Thank you very much for the offer.
Icarus1 17 May 2014
In reply to flopsicle:

Hi had a similar struggle myself wanting to get outside to climb for first time, hope to achieve this soon, but still having great fun with my little boy 9 yrs old at indoor walls in Sheffield.

When you find a good group please post and pass on detail. With half term coming I'm hoping to get into the Peak.
Hope all goes well
Rgds
OP flopsicle 18 May 2014
In reply to Icarus1:

I might be getting nearer... A few people emailed and I met a single dad at the wall who may be interested.

I wonder if a + kids climbing club is possible? The Peak is certainly a popular enough venue.
 TobyA 18 May 2014
In reply to flopsicle:

My mate and his wife plus their little one (who is a bit younger than yours) not so long ago joined the East Midland Climbing Club I think and have been on some family meets. So clubs definitely do them. I can get more details for you if you want, they live somewhere near Nottingham so is that about the right area for you?
Icarus1 18 May 2014
In reply to flopsicle:

Hi I think a kids plus parent, for a climbing club is a good idea might help remove some of the obstacles and taboos around newbies and kids.
All have to start some where.
Rgds
 JJL 19 May 2014
In reply to flopsicle:

Some venues are almost certain to have families there, including single parents - Windgather, Three Cliffs for example

Perhaps post in Lifts and Partners for a specific weekend/day at one of those? Otherwise, clubs are good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...