UKC

Android app for UKC?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ericinbristol 15 May 2014
Is there any prospect of an Android app for UKC in the near future? Reading UKC on my phone is a pain.
 Bob 15 May 2014
In reply to ericinbristol:

UKC on a phone is a pain because it uses tables for the page layout. If the code that generates each page was rewritten to use modern responsive techniques then it would be fine. There'd be issues on what information to present at the top level but it should be doable.

It's been asked for several times.
OP ericinbristol 15 May 2014
In reply to Bob:

Yes, I recall it being asked several times before. I am asking again to see if there has been any movement on the issue by the UKC powers that be.
richyfenn 15 May 2014
Why is it a pain? I view UKC on an S4 and previously a Galaxy Ace using Chrome and have never found it a problem. Zooming in to read it is easy.

Sorry, I'm not trying to derail the quest for an app.
Post edited at 10:43

> Yes, I recall it being asked several times before. I am asking again to see if there has been any movement on the issue by the UKC powers that be.

It is on our ToDo list, but we only have one technical guy working on the site and not budget to increase that so it will have to wait in line. All our current work is on the Rockfax App which is going to take up most of the next few months.

Apologies but we are aware of this and we aren't sticking with the current unresponsive layout 'because we think it is fine'.

Alan
In reply to richyfenn:

No problem. It's a pain for me because, to read a post I have to use the touch screen to sweep left to right for every line then back again for the next.
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Great, thanks Alan. Yes Rockfax app first makes sense. I'm looking forward to that too, sounds great!
 Mikkel 15 May 2014

what browser?
Using Opera and it scales the txt nicely to the screen. (plenty of threads about this as well lol)
In reply to Mikkel:

Chrome can scale the text to the screen size too. The problem is that the text is then tiny. It needs an app.
 Bob 15 May 2014

It needs a responsive design
In reply to Bob:

Yes
 humptydumpty 15 May 2014

Doesn't really work on my laptop when I zoom in a bit - have to scroll side-to-side. Works better if I wear glasses and keep it zoomed out.
 Mikkel 15 May 2014

well Opera scales the txt to screen size at your given zoom level.
So you can get the txt as big as you like and still be scaled to the screen so you only have to scroll down to read it, not side ways.
 Ffion Blethyn 15 May 2014

Zooming in is easy enough and seems ti format in

Posting us a pain in the backside
Swiping left and right to read / edit inevitably leaves
the cursor in the wrong place
 Fishmate 15 May 2014

Still using an S2. Everything workks fine. Double tap and it scales to the screen. Only prob is feeling in diary if not at home where the cursor goes a bit awol after a few lines. All good otherwise. App would be good if it was dedicated, I agree.
 Ffion Blethyn 16 May 2014

Zooming in is easy enough and seems ti format in

Posting us a pain in the backside
Swiping left and right to read / edit inevitably leaves
the cursor in the wrong place

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...