UKC

GriGri Recall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sbattams 20 May 2014
Not sure if this has been posted already but can not see it.

http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/recall-replacement-grigri-2

Mine has been affected.

Petzl has discovered that exerting excessive force on the fully extended handle of the GRIGRI 2 can cause internal damage, such that the GRIGRI 2 handle may become stuck in the open position.

When the handle is stuck in this position, the assisted braking function is disabled. A damaged GRIGRI 2 in this configuration will function similarly to a manual belay device (e.g. tube style device).

When using a damaged GRIGRI 2 with the handle stuck in the position as shown in Figure 1, failure to control the braking side of the rope will increase the risk of an uncontrolled descent. A GRIGRI 2 with a damaged handle must be immediately retired from service.
 TobyA 20 May 2014
In reply to sbattams:

It was three or four years ago and there was loads of coverage at the time. Unfortunate that you missed it at the time.
OP sbattams 20 May 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Oh,

I just saw it on my facebook feed, I couldn't see any date.

Steve
 TobyA 20 May 2014
In reply to sbattams:

Well I guess that you've seen it now! When did you buy it? I hope none of the 'bad batch' got sold after the recall?
In reply to sbattams:
Please note this is a notice from June 2011, not a current notice or a re-release.

If you have a GRIGRI from that period it is worth checking however using Petzl's info.

'If you have a GRIGRI 2 (D14 2O, D14 2G, D14 2B) with the first five digits of the serial number between 10326 and 11136, please contact your local Petzl distributor by email (see below) with your complete postal address in order to initiate an exchange.'

http://www.lyon.co.uk/outdoor/lyon-support/customer-services
Post edited at 09:09
 gdnknf 20 May 2014
In reply to sbattams:

Thanks for posting this, I was bought one as a gift around then but never knew about the recall. Just checked mine; I'm all right by 7 digits in the serial number!

Cheers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...