UKC

Ldwa 100?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Moley 20 May 2014
Anyone else on the LDWA Valleys 100mile this weekend?
I'm marking out the route now (Pontypool, S. Wales) and can't say I'm looking forward to it that much. Navigation is going to be pretty tiresome with all the towns to cross, hope I don't lose my temper and go home when I'm lost for the umpteenth time in some old mining village housing estate!

Head down and trundle on I suppose, be good if someone else is there (other than the 500+ entrants). I like the challenge of navigating with map and compass, so no GPS or recceing, but this could test my patience in places.
 Wainers44 20 May 2014
In reply to Moley:
Yep im in!

The nav certainly doesnt look dull. No reccy for me either but with my memory thats no disadvantage!

Have really spashed out and bought a lightweight survival bag for 4quid but I may have left it too late so it wont come in time, ah well.

Should be fun though, maybe a bit damp

Moley 21 May 2014
In reply to Wainers44:

Steady on with the survival bag!
Currently looking damp, but not desperate. It is what it is, nothing we can do about the weather, except grumble.

Guessing you may be number 478/479? I'm 209, look out for a small grumpy old fellow, with loads of white hair sticking out all over the place. I'm on the 2pm start but wish I was on the earlier one as all the food will be eaten by the time I get through the checkpoints.
 Wainers44 21 May 2014
In reply to Moley:

I will keep a look out for you storming past me on sunday morning (I'm on the earlier start).

Travelling up from Devon with 9 others to do the "away" leg of this mad thing again, (hopefully) after the "home" leg of the Camel to Teign 100 last year. I will be the older worried looking one trying to keep up with a bunch of nutters half my age!!

Should be good though, whatever the weather. Not an area of Wales I have ever walked before.

Any particular checkpoint fodder you like and we will try to leave you some. ?....no promises though
Moley 22 May 2014
In reply to Moley:

There won't be a lot of "storming past", a steady plod at best and try to keep going.

I'm missing a village wedding party Saturday night and then the post wedding pub hog roast starts 2pm Sunday, this will exert a serious pull on me Sunday morning. The thought of hog roast and beer or another 40 miles of damp Welsh valleys....mmmmmmmm hard to resist!!

The problem with some of the hills in that area is the proliferation of paths and tracks on them due to the high usage. What should be a straightforward A to B has paths all over the place, can be confusing.

Anyway, good luck, save me a roast dinner and pint please, in my dreams!
 Wonrek 23 May 2014
In reply to Moley:

I'm there too! Not the most inspiring route I'll admit but could be worse....there's a canal race going on this weekend that you could've been doing!

What time are you starting?
Moley 23 May 2014
In reply to Wonrek:

On the 2pm start, so don't even have to get up early. See how it goes!
Moley 23 May 2014
In reply to Moley:

For info, Rod Hull is now 80 miles into his first loop (walking) and then carries on tomorrow with the rest of us to try and complete his second loop for 200 miles (and 30,000ft). That's a good walk!
Moley 26 May 2014
In reply to Moley:

How did you both get on, hope you're home safe and sound.

Character building?
 Wainers44 26 May 2014
In reply to Moley:
Just got home.

Too soon to say I enjoyed all of it, but feel lucky to have been able to take part.

I wasn't planning to run much of it anyway, but with all that rain just finishing was enough. I did get round in just over 39hrs and it certainly was a challenge.

Feet totally trashed, but dont ache much.

How did you do?
Post edited at 14:03
Moley 26 May 2014
In reply to Moley:

I meant to say Rod Hollands did the double not Rod Hull, he used to walk with a mate and we always referred to them as "Rod and Emu". Doh!

At the start I had no motivation and thought why on earth am I doing this and nearly went home after 3 miles! But met a mate and we plodded on together which passed the time, I left him at 40 miles and did the rest alone. I didn't take the route description so did it all with map and compass only (and following people), had several interesting detours of Welsh mining towns including a 1/2 hour around Blaenavon housing estates as I tried to find my way back to the cycle track, not recommended. But finished.

Ended up 32 hours after a catalogue of assorted disasters, feet also trashed, I've had a bath and lanced the blisters, the water level rose. I ache all over and hated all the towns and tarmac stretches, moorlands fine, interesting descent down that rocky path with a stream flowing down it (90 miles?) and again up to the final Folly tower, bet they saw some swear words. Well done, a tough one which we just had to grind out, I think you had to be there to appreciate quite how horrible and tough it was.
 Wainers44 26 May 2014
In reply to Moley:

Well done! It was truly appalling underfoot at times. Just about to sort my blisters, will try not to blub

I think the three highlights for me were Gelligaer Common at night, the seemingly endless heather and peat bog leading to the tv transmitters, and as you said the stream pretending to be a path at 90miles.

Some really tough folk taking part; we had a minibus full of 11 participants, loosely called Scouts (although most of us are actually Ten Tors trainers) and only 5 finished. Wonder what the official fall out rate is, must be higher than normal?
Moley 26 May 2014
In reply to Wainers44:

I think it will be a record fall out rate, think I heard of about 160 and that was before the second night! No shame really, that ground would be a step too far for many people.

The section to the TV pylons I was looking forward to, I did it during my summer Cambrian way walk in the dry, was expecting to have an easy trot over it. It was dreadfull, relentless mud and stones, I thought of the many poor beggars who would be crossing it on their second night when totally knackered, there must have been some nasty falls?

Time for another Ibuprofen so I can stand up, then pub and beer. My feet are covered in dressings.....ouch.
 Wonrek 28 May 2014
In reply to Moley:
It was a bit grim wasn't it!

I finished in 35hrs but can attribute at least two hours of that to checkpoint time at the last few where the guy I'd run a very long way with was having a hard time and I didn't feel leaving to be the right decision.

I feel good now, I didn't get any blisters and apart from swollen feet and tired legs I'm all good!

I'd liken that to a longer version of the Fellsman with added rain.....

Now to prepare for my next ultra....next weekend!
 Tall Clare 28 May 2014
In reply to Wonrek:

You are a nutcase!
Moley 28 May 2014
In reply to Wonrek:

Well done, without being there through the dark, mud and sh*te of the first night, it's hard to explain to anyone how little it had in common with say a 5k Parkrun, other than being on the same planet!

Out of interest, what did you and Wainers eat during the duration? Many on here ask about what to eat on an ultra and here 3 of us have gone around the same course, presented with the same food, wonder if we enjoyed or rejected the same things? There were certain culinary high points for me.

I think Mike Warwick was the first back (he told me at the finish), I'm really pleased for him, he's a local mid Wales runner the same age as me 61, he's a retired GP and far more talented than the likes of me - he did a 3.05 London marathon this year, he will have prepared well for it but good to see an "oldie" slogging it out through that lot. An inspiration for many on here.
 Wonrek 29 May 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

You called?
 Wonrek 29 May 2014
In reply to Moley:
I must admit night sections are normally good for me but I had a job holding onto my happy thoughts on that one and was truly glad I was only out for one night overall.

Food wise I ate most of what I was presented. Not much but little at most checkpoints. I absolutely drew the line at those crackers with mart mite though?!?!

I also took my own small stash but apart from a couple of gels all I used of my own was the Parma ham wraps which were salty and good.

Thankfully eating on these things hasn't been an issue yet.

Lakeland next?
Moley 29 May 2014
In reply to Wonrek:

I start with my own Tiffin Cake (enough calories to fuel an elephant), I can stomach that for about 50 miles then no more. I also carry a little crystalised ginger and mint imperials for those times if the stomach starts to get a bit queasy, seem to help. For the first time I tried some chocolate covered coffee beans - good - and second half picked up my salted peanuts which I always have.

I also "grazed" at all the checkpoints, but tend to become more fussy in the latter stages, some highlights for me were:

Cooked breakfast, hardly touched the sides!!

Cheese and pineapple chunks on cocktail sticks - really bizzare - but went down well.

Bacon sandwich.

Near the end checkpoints there was a bowl of cold pasta with fresh veg and mayo in (if memory serves me right), that was lovely and I could have eaten more.

I always like the marmite crackers, I had yours!!!

I ate right through with no problems, but god knows what my stomach thought of the combinations.

No more planned events for me now, once the weather settles I pack my rucksack and tent and head North from home to complete my remaining 140 miles of Cambrian Way. Then decide what next.

Wainers44 30 May 2014
In reply to Moley:

I tried my best to eat loads this year after a bit of "wobble" at the Lucket checkpoint last year. So I was suitably wrapped up warmer and scoffed plenty at every checkpoint.

Nicest to eat were the soft cheese and beetroot sandwiches early on. I am not a great fan of cake so I made myself eat quite a few bits of Soreen. To be honest the biscuits were all a bit of a waste of time and took more effort to eat (too dry) than the calories they contained (except ritz or cheddars!).

The other plan I had was to drink squash from the platy as I went along and have a hot drink at every checkpoint, which I drank as I walked away from it. This worked as I never felt full, ie not too full of drink to be able to eat and so could keep noshing.

Bacon sarnies by the home team (Cornwall and Devon) were great and I cant say I felt sick or unable to eat at any point.

The food generally was good, the only comment I would make is that the checkpoint spacing seemed a little odd, as they didn't seem to get closer and closer together towards the end, which would make more sense from a sustenance and endurance point of view?

Oh and mass produced semi frozen sausage rolls are hard to get down after 85+miles!!
Moley 31 May 2014
In reply to Wainers44:

I forgot the cheese and beetroot, they were very good. The sight of those sausage rolls and scotch eggs I couldn't stomach either.

Thing is, when people come on here and ask what they want to eat on their first "ultra" they get loads of different advice. Ultimately there is no correct food and it is purely individual taste on the day, experience is the only way to find out. All sorts of strange foods seem appetising in the middle of a long night!
Moley 31 May 2014
In reply to Moley:

Link here to a video of the start proceedings. Won't be interested in most, but ex paralympian and world record holder John Harris gives a really good motivational speech at the start - 21 minutes into video. And I wander across the screen looking vacant at 28 minutes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1NTXT0XruU&feature=youtu.be
 Wonrek 31 May 2014
In reply to Wainers44:
They assured us that the sausage rolls weren't frozen as we crunched into them! Have to say they weren't terribly appetising!

Devon and Cornwall group were smashing....I've just joined LDWA and got a super personal welcome when I got to their checkpoint as it's also my 'home' group
 Wainers44 01 Jun 2014
In reply to Moley:

We had a long chat with John at the finish and he really is a top bloke. I don't mind admitting that a couple of times his words around the most important bit being "what's in your head and in your heart" popped into my exhausted mind and spurred me on.

Wonrek, yes the C&D checkpoint was a real lift. If you get the chance do their Reservoirs Kanter on Dartmoor in July. The routes are superb and the food even better', just the rubbarb fool they do alone makes the whole walk worthwhile!!

All in all though, and despite the conditions it was a great event and the organisers did a marvellous job. There are bits I would go back to see in better weather, maybe not the cobbles up to the final checkpoint. They will live on in my memory for a while...

Wonrek 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Wainers44:

Yes, I'm going to do the reservoirs with my seven year old. He's adamant he wants to do it and after a ten mile walk across Bodmin taking in brown willy (twice) Rough Tor and a couple of others I think he's up for the 14 mile course.

He told me adamantly, you do the navigation mummy and I'll answer the questions, I'm good at questions.....fair enough!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...