UKC

Peak by Public Transport?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 humptydumpty 20 May 2014
I'm thinking of heading up to the Peak for a couple of weekdays next week, staying in Sheffield.

After a bit of research, it looks like Stanage is a decent crag, and easy to get to by public transport (20 min train Sheffield -> Hathersage, then a 3 mile walk(?)).

Are there any other crags to consider, either for quality or ease of access? Looking for stuff around HS-VS, maybe a bit harder if I get on well with the rock...

Thanks for any suggestions
 climbingpixie 20 May 2014
In reply to humptydumpty:

Froggatt is walking distance from Grindleford train station and has plenty of stuff in that grade range - it's also somewhere that's worth going on a weekday as it gets horrendously busy at weekends. Millstone is also walking distance from Hathersage and could be a good option if you were going well and wanted to do some amazing HVSs.
 Leo Woodfelder 20 May 2014
In reply to humptydumpty: Stanage is indeed a decent crag, loads to go at, more than you could do in a lifetime to be honest! Burbage is also next door so plenty to keep you busy!

Ramblin dave 20 May 2014

There are loads of good options by train:
Edale -> Kinder Southern Edges
Bamford -> er, Bamford
Grindleford -> Lawrencefield, Yarncliffe and Millstone.

I think the buses are pretty useful too, sure locals can advise...
 planetmarshall 20 May 2014

Stick your thumb out. There'll be loads of climbers driving around with space in the car (such as myself), happy to pick up a random.
 Jon Stewart 20 May 2014

Stanage is the best crag, I'd go there.

Also easy to get to Curbar, Gardoms and Birchen from the bus that goes out along Abbeydale Road.
 deepsoup 20 May 2014
> After a bit of research, it looks like Stanage is a decent crag, and easy to get to by public transport (20 min train Sheffield -> Hathersage, then a 3 mile walk(?)).

Alternatively, take the bus out to Fox House and walk up the Burbage Valley to Stanage from there. (Passing Burbage South, Burbage North, Higgar Tor along the way.)

Or stay on the bus until Surprise View and it's a 2-minute walk to Lawrencefield or a 5-minute walk to Millstone from there.

Or if you can get yourself as far as Ringinglow Rd, as someone already suggested, stick your thumb out. (Couldn't hurt to have a rope on the outside of your pack so it's obvious you're a climber.)

Or you could always post something in Lifts & Partners here, chances of picking up a lift out from Sheff should be very good.

There have been lots of threads about getting out into the Peak by bus/train from Sheff btw. With links posted to timetables and such. "Search Forums" up there ^^ on the right - have a rummage.
 deacondeacon 20 May 2014
In reply to deepsoup:
65 or the 272 are the buses I normally get from Sheffield to Fox House/surprise view. If you want to climb further afield hitch from there to whichever crag you fancy.
Put the rope on the outside of your sack too, and you'll get a lift nice and quickly.
If your at Stanage and heading back to sheffield, don't bother heading back to the bus stop. Just walk towards ringinglow with your thumb out and you'll have a lift soon enough.
OP humptydumpty 20 May 2014
In reply to deacondeacon:

> 65 or the 272 are the buses I normally get from Sheffield to Fox House/surprise view. If you want to climb further afield hitch from there to whichever crag you fancy.

This looks perfect, thanks!
OP humptydumpty 20 May 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

> Alternatively, take the bus out to Fox House and walk up the Burbage Valley to Stanage from there. (Passing Burbage South, Burbage North, Higgar Tor along the way.)

Sounds nice! Hopefully we can walk in and hitch out.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
 Al Evans 21 May 2014

Rivelin used to be very easy from the bus to the Norfolk Arms, no idea if it still runs? You can also walk to Stanage from Lodge Moor up the old roman road, our usual way of getting there when I was a kid.
 deacondeacon 21 May 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Good point Al. There's a Hillsborough to rivelin bus, and a bus that goes past stanage end.
 robert-hutton 21 May 2014
Yes Stanage is walkable, but buses that goes to Buxton from Sheffield goes past Stoney Middleton and Millers Dale so opens up many limestone areas.

As planetmarshall says if you stand by Hunters Bar with your thumb out someone will pick you up.

Rob
Post edited at 08:59
 johncook 21 May 2014
In reply to robert-hutton:

Also the Matlock bus runs past Fox House, Grindleford, (For grit crags)then on to Calver (for Stoney) and a load of limestone crags, ending in Matlock which is about 20 mins walk from Wildcat, which has some amazing long HS/VS routes.
 deepsoup 21 May 2014
In reply to Al Evans:
> Rivelin used to be very easy from the bus to the Norfolk Arms, no idea if it still runs? You can also walk to Stanage from Lodge Moor up the old roman road, our usual way of getting there when I was a kid.

The bus still runs though what used to be the Norfolk Arms has been converted into a couple of posh semi-detached houses now.

The same bus also passes Cutthroat bridge (from where you could walk up to Derwent Edge/Dovestone Tor), and turns left at Ladybower to pass the Yorkshire Bridge pub (where there's another steep walk up to Bamford Edge).

There's still a bus up to Lodge Moor too, but it only goes all the way to Wyming Brook once or twice a day now. There's a TRO in place, otherwise the OP could stick out a thumb out and try for a lift over the Causeway in a passing 4x4.
 Al Evans 24 May 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

There's still a bus up to Lodge Moor too, but it only goes all the way to Wyming Brook once or twice a day now. There's a TRO in place, otherwise the OP could stick out a thumb out and try for a lift over the Causeway in a passing 4x4.

I seem to remember that was always the case.
 siwid 24 May 2014

The 218 is the bus that's goes along Abbeydale road, you can get off by Gardoms North and then walk to Birchen, Baslow and Curbar all under half an hour. Ask for the stop after Owler Bar and be prepared to get charged a completely different fare each time you go!

The walk up from Hathersage to Stanage is a bit of a killer if you've got a lot of gear so would personally recommend to option above if you're lazy like me!

65, 272, 214 and 215 all take you to Fox House which opens up everything in the Burbage Valley and beyond if you like walking.

273, 274 and 275 for Rivelin
OP humptydumpty 05 Jun 2014
Thanks to everyone on this thread - had a lovely time in the Peak. The walk through the Burbage valley is beautiful, although it takes a good hour+ with climbing gear. Some decent climbing to be had at Stanage, too

If I went again, I'd be tempted to hang around Burbage and Higgar Tour - a shorter approach, and The File looks like fun for starters. Or go to one of the other crags in the area - seems like climbing here is endless.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...