UKC

Where is it acceptable not to pick up your dogs mess?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Baron Weasel 21 May 2014
There are some road verges near my house as I go out of the village where I don't pick up my dogs mess. I think this is ok as no children play on these verges and the council mow them regularly (effectively macerating the faeces).

So, dog owners and non-dog owners alike - where is it acceptable not to pick up dog mess?
 mypyrex 21 May 2014
In reply to Baron Weasel:

I think there is no obligation to do so beyond the designated 30mph limit but worth checking.
 Choss 21 May 2014

Dog owner - i always pick up unless Proper in middle of Nowhere, then will still Remove if on a path.
 pebbles 21 May 2014

not going to be very nice for the poor sods mowing the verges is it? they are going to get sprayed with said macerated dog mess.
 rousse 21 May 2014

I don't pick up in our local forest, but I do get a stick and flick it off the pathways into the very thick undergrowth (brambles etc).
I do pick up pretty much everywhere else, including horse fields as picking dogshit out of horses hooves is grim. Very overgrown verges I might not bother, would depend on location etc.
Basically anywhere there's a good chance of it getting on other peoples shoes, bike tyres, etc.

And I don't hang the bags on trees, utterly moronic behaviour!
 Yanis Nayu 21 May 2014

It depends on the Order created by your local council. Where I live, it used to be that you only had to pick up where there was a 30mph limit or less, plus public open spaces. Now you have to pick up everywhere.

rousse 21 May 2014
In reply to pebbles:

Aren't most verges done by a bloke in a tractor with a mowing attachment? At least that used to be my grandad's job for the council about 30 years ago.
 Tall Clare 21 May 2014
In reply to rousse:

This pretty much echoes what I do.
 Tall Clare 21 May 2014
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

I believe round here there's something about not having to pick up on agricultural land, but if it's somewhere that's used as a thoroughfare I'll still pick it up.
 The Potato 21 May 2014

always pick it up especially when out on footpaths etc even if out in very rural areas, dont have to take it home just chuck it (not in a bag!!!) off the main paths so nobody has to walk in the horrible stuff
 cander 21 May 2014

I agree dog shit in towns is bad.

Just out of interest in the countryside is dog shit any different to cow shit, sheep shit, fox shit, badger shit, wild boar shit, bird shit and deer shit?

wintertree 21 May 2014

> So, dog owners and non-dog owners alike - where is it acceptable not to pick up dog mess?

As someone who runs on roadside verges and semi-rural public footpaths, little is more disgusting than having to pick dog poo out of my shoes if I don't see a turd coming - particularly likely in longer grass on verges or on a muddy section of a footpath.

I've never had a problem with it being flung off a path into the woods etc. It's presumably also okay to flick it from a verge into a hedgerow etc.?

Tall Clare 21 May 2014
In reply to wintertree:

Not directly related to the poo question, but do you not find it a bit tricky running on verges with long grass, as it covers rocks and little drainage culverts that could twist an ankle?
In reply to cander:

>dog shit any different to cow shit.......

F*ck me, of course it is. If you'd trodden in both you wouldn't be asking.

jcm
 wintertree 21 May 2014
In reply to cander:

> Just out of interest in the countryside is dog shit any different to

I think dog poo is much worse because it derives largely from meat and the s--t they put in dog food, whereas most animal poo is half digested grass. It stinks and is supposedly much more of a health hazard. Further most animals avoid human paths, dogs frequent them.

> cow shit,

Dog poo is smaller, potentially harder to spot, and can be anywhere. Cow shit is only found in fields with cows, bigger, more obvious and a lot less disgusting and poses less of a health risk.

> sheep shit,

Again contained to known areas, and little more than black balls of grass. It doesn't leave a vile smell on your shoes or make you want to retch.

> fox shit, badger shit,

There's a lot less of those on the paths, because the animals tend to avoid them?

> wild boar shit,

HOLY COW A WILD BOAR RUN AWAY.

> bird shit

It's true. If dogs shit rained down from the skies things would be much worse.

> and deer shit?

Again relatively harmless, partially digested vegetable matter that is highly unlikely to be found on a path.
 rousse 21 May 2014
In reply to wintertree:

Yes, I would try to do that. Verges I'm thinking of have about 18 inch high thick grass/weeds and are not flat, so I can't imagine many people either walking or running along them.
 Tall Clare 21 May 2014
In reply to cander:

Fox shit is particularly bogging (dogs like rolling in it) but the rest are, as far as I know, mostly herbivore so their poo's nowhere near as minging/potentially disease-laden.
 wintertree 21 May 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

> Not directly related to the poo question, but do you not find it a bit tricky running on verges with long grass, as it covers rocks and little drainage culverts that could twist an ankle?

Not really - it tends to be the same ones, the grass gets cut sometimes I have an idea of where the manhole cover with a broken corner is (for example) and I'm not a very fast runner...
 Ava Adore 21 May 2014
In reply to wintertree:

Priceless response. Had me laughing out loud!
 rousse 21 May 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Dogs seem to love rolling in anything vile (a dead seal is the worst I've heard). Mine tried to roll in a flattened, dessicated dead mouse the other day, without much luck. I've had a dog roll in a liquid fresh green cowpat, which was rank, but that was nothing compared to fox shit!
 Tall Clare 21 May 2014
In reply to rousse:

Mine tried to roll in a hedgehog last night. Fortunately the hedgehog had other ideas.
 cander 21 May 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

I own cows - f*ck me its still shit
 Enty 21 May 2014
In reply to Ava Adore:

> Priceless response. Had me laughing out loud!

Yes me too. To the most stupid question on here for a while.

E
 Yanis Nayu 21 May 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

It only applies to public land. If your dog shits on private property, that's a matter between you and the landowner.

Of course, what the law says and what makes sense are not always the same)
 Tall Clare 21 May 2014

I've just had a look at what my local council says - they offer some exemptions, but I'm not sure their wording makes it clear what people 'should' do if, say, they're walking on a public footpath through an agricultural field: http://www.cravendc.gov.uk/article/652/Dog-and-animal-fouling

(n.b. as stated above, I pick it up unless it's deep in the woods and far from a path, or similiarly up on the moors)
 Yanis Nayu 21 May 2014
In reply to wintertree:
In response to your analysis of different types of shit, I think the "cow shit is safer than dog shit because cows don't eat meat" argument is flawed. Beef is probably the main product from which people contract E coli 0157, and it becomes contaminated by the beasts' own shit in the slaughterhouse.

I think dogs' legal status is more to do with why their shit has to be cleared up. I don't think you'd get far trying to nick a fox for shitting and not picking it up, and it may prove slightly impractical to ask farmers to troop around their fields picking up cow shit.
Post edited at 14:33
 Ava Adore 21 May 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Or liquid....
 Tall Clare 21 May 2014
In reply to Ava Adore:

Ah - the trick with liquid is to hope there are lots of dead leaves, or grass, nearby. Yes, life as a dog owner really *is* that pleasant...

My friend's dog solves the problem neatly through having the utterly minging habit of eating other dogs' poo...
 The New NickB 21 May 2014

I pick it up everywhere, never really occurred to me not to.
 rousse 21 May 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Mine did that as a puppy, it's absolutely revolting. Thankfully grew out of it, and pretty good about not eating horse or other poo.

None of this is good dog-owning propaganda, is it?
 Tall Clare 21 May 2014
In reply to rousse:

I think it's like with children - one has to overlook the occasional bad behaviour and grim bodily fluids (and solids) to embrace what else the relationship can bring to one's life...
 andrewmc 21 May 2014

What annoys me is horse poo on roads! I realise it a) isn't as bad as dog poo, and b) is slightly more complicated to pick up (although on the plus side you have a horse to carry it), but it is still annoying and can last for weeks and weeks before the last traces disappear...
 Mike Stretford 21 May 2014
In reply to Baron Weasel: It seems to be when the dog manages to curl one out it in a little black bag by the side of a footpath nowadays.

Banned User 77 21 May 2014
In reply to rousse:

Yeah forests and agricultural land I don't, but just flick it away from paths..

The hanging it on a branch idea is great.. you take a product which is 100% degradable and out of sight and place in in sight in a non or slowly degradable bag.. just superb.
 barbeg 21 May 2014

...Unbelievable.....
It is never, repeat, never, acceptable to knowingly leave YOUR dog's mess anywhere. If I came along and crapped on your lawn would you be happy with me leaving it there? If I crapped on a verge would it be ok to leave it there?
...unbelievable....YOUR dog....CLEAN IT UP!
ANdy
 Clarence 21 May 2014
In reply to andrewmcleod:

Does anyone else think that horseshit smells much worse than it used to? Are they feeding the pampered buggers on a high protein diet these days?
 rousse 21 May 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

Unfortunately I've never seen anyone actually in the act, as I'm fascinated by the thought process (I may be being generous by assuming there is any thought).

Although I'm not sure I'd be able to ask them politely why they were doing it, rather than just ranting at them...
 Tall Clare 21 May 2014
In reply to Andrew Mallinson:

Out of interest, what about people caught short whilst out in the countryside who might nip behind a bush/tree/rock for a dump?
 blurty 21 May 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

> Out of interest, what about people caught short whilst out in the countryside who might nip behind a bush/tree/rock for a dump?

Of course this happens - and I'd put a suitable rock on it (just like I used to do when our dog dumped somewhere where it might get stepped in)
 barbeg 21 May 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Hi Clare,
Same applies.
YOUR crap, clean it up.
ANdy
 Tall Clare 21 May 2014

I'm glad to see you apply some consistency. Do you carry poo bags?
 rousse 21 May 2014

The Forestry Commission don't agree with you, they operate a 'stick and flick' policy in most areas, which is to move any poo away from paths. Since they own the land we mostly use, that's what I do.

Anywhere else - streets, lawns, maintained verges, parks etc gets cleaned up.
 barbeg 21 May 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

HI Clare,
Yes I do...crapping in a bag takes some practice though! Doing so in a Cairngorm blizzard usually means you get it right first time funnily !
ANdy
Antigua 21 May 2014

> So, dog owners and non-dog owners alike - where is it acceptable not to pick up dog mess?

The only acceptable place is YOUR HOME or YOUR GARDEN anywhere else you pick it up.
In reply to Antigua:

> The only acceptable place is YOUR HOME or YOUR GARDEN anywhere else you pick it up.

I wonder if a GPS Cat Shat Tagger™ would lead to cat owners to have to do the same? One can only hope.
 barbeg 21 May 2014
In reply to rousse:

Hiya,
I'm happy to be disagreed with as always. I'm sure they (FC) do operate a stick & flick policy, because it's better than leaving the sh*t on a path and they have to be realistic that not all dog owners will pick up...unfortunately. I'm sure they would rather operate a pick & go policy...but that ain't going to work.
It's simple for me....why is it OK for dogs to crap anywhere and leave it on the floor, when a human would get arrested for doing the same in a public place.
YOUR dog...clean it up....if you can't, don't have a dog...end of.
ANdy
 Tall Clare 21 May 2014

I know that by one reservoir near me (Ogden Water, near Halifax) there's a designated 'dog toilet' area that's walled off and clearly signposted - I think the idea is that it's better to encourage dogs to crap there and for the poo to decompose naturally than to end up risking overflowing poo bins (and people bagging it and then leaving the full bag), and then having to have the bag decompose wherever poo bags get taken to.
 rousse 21 May 2014

Clare has pretty much answered this - I think it's greener to allow the poo to decompose in the undergrowth than sit in a plastic bag in landfill.

There's always the idiots that can't even be bothered to flick it off the path, however.

I'm not sure what the law is regarding humans - I'm at work so don't really want to google it!
 arch 21 May 2014

Anywhere someone could possibly stand in it, I pick up. Across the fields where we normally walk, no, I'll leave it, unless it's on the path. It's quite amazing just how quickly Dog sh*t disappears. I'm out for an hour normally. If one of mine dumps shortly after making the field, there is always an hungry hoard of Slugs feasting on the crap on my return. We are over there twice a day, you would be thinking we'd be tripping over it, but we're not.
 wintertree 21 May 2014

> In response to your analysis of different types of shit, I think the "cow shit is safer than dog shit because cows don't eat meat" argument is flawed. Beef is probably the main product from which people contract E coli 0157, and it becomes contaminated by the beasts' own shit in the slaughterhouse.

True, but what would people catch from beef if it was smeared in dog shit in the slaughterhouse? Much worse, I would warrant. I believe there are more human troubling parasites in dog poo than cow, as well as more virulent bacteria. I'm certainly not saying cow poo is clean, although people used to wattle and daub with it, which I've never seen with a dog...

tim000 21 May 2014

> ...Unbelievable.....

> It is never, repeat, never, acceptable to knowingly leave YOUR dog's mess anywhere. If I came along and crapped on your lawn would you be happy with me leaving it there? If I crapped on a verge would it be ok to leave it there?

> ...unbelievable....YOUR dog....CLEAN IT UP!

> ANdy

+1

joan cooper 21 May 2014
In reply to andrewmcleod:

Horse poo a pain on the roads!!! Pick it up with a shovel its brilliant for the roses or compost heap. Roses have been losing out since the invention of motor cars
 tlm 21 May 2014

> the council mow them regularly (effectively macerating the faeces).

...and flicking it up into their faces as they work. Nice.
 tlm 21 May 2014
In reply to cander:

> Just out of interest in the countryside is dog shit any different to cow shit, sheep shit, fox shit, badger shit, wild boar shit, bird shit and deer shit?

I think there is a big difference between carnivore shit and herbivore shit. I wouldn't want to mulch my garden with well rotted dog poo.

In reply to tlm:

> I think there is a big difference between carnivore shit and herbivore shit.

Yeah, cat shit is minging.
 tlm 21 May 2014
In reply to blurty:

> Of course this happens - and I'd put a suitable rock on it (just like I used to do when our dog dumped somewhere where it might get stepped in)

Which seems like a good idea, but it protects your poo from the rain and keeps it around for a lot longer. And if you've pooed in an obvious pooing place, the next person comes along, poos, then picks up your poo rock to put on their poo and gets a handful of your poo in the process!

I put soil/leaves/moss over mine and do it in an untrodden looking place.

By the way - how come they are always so MASSIVE outdoors?!
 Swirly 21 May 2014
In reply to wintertree:

> True, but what would people catch from beef if it was smeared in dog shit in the slaughterhouse? Much worse, I would warrant. I believe there are more human troubling parasites in dog poo than cow, as well as more virulent bacteria. I'm certainly not saying cow poo is clean, although people used to wattle and daub with it, which I've never seen with a dog...

I wouldn't be so sure, the infectious dose of E.coli o157 is between 10 and 100 bacteria according to the UKHPA. There isn't much worse than that in terms of bacteria at least. Maybe the Salmonella and Campylobacter carried by chickens but they're a different case.
In reply to rousse:

the argument is they place them to get them later...

re the FC.. leaving it out of sight to decompose is environmentally the better option, so yes they'd prefer that.. decomposing toilets are likewise also an option..

Fly's a right shit for it though, I run her through a very posh golf course in Sheffield.. every time we get on the fair way she's "hold on just going to squeeze one out on this lovely smooth grass".. 5 miles of the loop is woodlands and she has to go in 0.1 miles of golf course... normally whilst staring at the club house hoping someone is looking..
In reply to wintertree:

There's also parasites in cat shit which people don't have such issues with..

Strangely Rostock was terrible for dog shit.. all over the streets. Here you see none, but the town has a very strict dog policy. I'd not get a dog until I leave this town as its just not nice for the dog. they basically have 2 pens for them to run in and apart from that its dogs only on leads..
 Tall Clare 21 May 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

I leave mine to pick up later on the circular walk I do - my pro tip is that the bags are really brightly coloured so I can't miss them. Works a treat - and I pick up other ones that people have left too. <polishes halo>
 Tall Clare 21 May 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

You're in the US now, aren't you? I find some of their approaches a bit curious - for instance, cats staying inside all the time is viewed as the norm, unlike in the UK.
 Albert Tatlock 21 May 2014
In reply to wintertree:

So if your dog is vegetarian / vegan would it be ok to leave the dog toffee in situ ?
In reply to Tall Clare:

Yeah, a few here have house cats, we've talked about it as the missus is a huge cat fan and we live in a developed area, her mother has 6.. but 3 are outdoor cats who live in the outbuildings.. but around towns cats which never leave a house are pretty normal..

If we got one like that it would be to rescue an older cat who has never really been outside so would just get ran over, or an FIV cat. Friends have cats they just take for walks, with little harnesses.

I've only really heard about it before with FIV cats. I've never been a cat fan but they have one who is like a dog, Mr Frizz he was found as a kitten in a swamp on the coast, who's 20 soon, he's great and has changed my mind about them.
 Tall Clare 21 May 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

I think cats are like dogs - you get out what you put in.
 JH74 21 May 2014
In reply to rousse:

> I don't pick up in our local forest, but I do get a stick and flick it off the pathways into the very thick undergrowth (brambles etc).

> I do pick up pretty much everywhere else, including horse fields as picking dogshit out of horses hooves is grim. Very overgrown verges I might not bother, would depend on location etc.

> Basically anywhere there's a good chance of it getting on other peoples shoes, bike tyres, etc.

> And I don't hang the bags on trees, utterly moronic behaviour!

^^^ Exactly this ^^^
Jim C 21 May 2014
In reply to wintertree:
> our current local dog owners are not too bad regarding picking dog mess, they generally pick it up, but strangely think nothing of crossing the road walking past my house and let their dogs piss at my gate ( why not not theirs.
(if I was to go over and piss on their gate, I would get lifted) and guess what, all the other local dogs then want to do the same .

Bird shit ( seagull) , however, is the bane of my life at the moment. They are nesting up in our chimney Pots, and regularly splatter windows back and front, including the local cars.
Their waste is pretty corrosive to car paint, so you have to get it off, quickly , only to get splattered within a day or two.

Given a choice, I would rather have the dog poo than seagull as my windows and car are safe with dog poo. Alas occasionally, some does get dragged in on shoes of the unwary, but that us rare now.
Post edited at 20:05
 mudmonkey 21 May 2014

If you're in Chamonix then footpaths, pavements(right in the middle obviously), parks, Les Gaillands, childrens play areas, car parks, neighbours parking space, neighbours door mat, herbaceous borders, shrubbery, roads, shop doorways, town square etc. are all fair game and no need to pick it up at all apparently.

In fact, just take your dog down to any one of these areas specifically to defecate, it's all good, because everyone loves the stench of 3 months of cryogenic dog turds thawing out come late March...

Skol 21 May 2014
I tend to leave mine if no one sees it being done. I blame the fat lab down the road.
In reply to joan cooper:

> Horse poo a pain on the roads!!! Pick it up with a shovel its brilliant for the roses or compost heap

Be a bit wary of taking horse poo into your garden: aminopyralid hasn't completely disappeared, even with new rules about application to horse pasture. You may actually be importing fairly effective veg killer.

Martin
In reply to mudmonkey5:

To be fair, the French also love to leave human sh1t, used tampons, condoms and really hawky phlegm all over their footpaths too.

It's almost a treat to step in dog eggs over there.

Martin

> In response to your analysis of different types of shit, I think the "cow shit is safer than dog shit because cows don't eat meat" argument is flawed. Beef is probably the main product from which people contract E coli 0157, and it becomes contaminated by the beasts' own shit in the slaughterhouse.

Yikes.

I think I'm missing something here - are you saying that dog poo is safer than cow poo because we don't eat dogs?

O157 infection is thankfully rarely a huge problem, but its incidence isn't really an argument in favour of dog poo. There are certainly some old wives' tales about the relative dangers of herbivore vs carnivore faeces, but it's probably a bad idea to put cat or dog manure on your veggies, no matter how well composted. There are a few specific things from either that you want to avoid, and little in the way of useful soil structure improvers.

Also, please don't leave dog faeces on cattle grazing land. At all.

Martin

In reply to Jim C:

Bird shit is bird piss.. its how they rid ammonia.. uric acid, we use urine, but they conserve water and can fly away from it so can excrete it as uric acid which is the white stuff...
andyathome 21 May 2014

> There are some road verges near my house as I go out of the village where I don't pick up my dogs mess. I think this is ok as no children play on these verges and the council mow them regularly (effectively macerating the faeces).

I'm afraid I haven't read the whole thread (busy life etc etc) but my answer would be 'nowhere'.

Cheers.
 Phil1919 21 May 2014

Basically, there are far too many dogs......and cats.
 Yanis Nayu 21 May 2014
In reply to maisie:

> Yikes.

> I think I'm missing something here - are you saying that dog poo is safer than cow poo because we don't eat dogs?

No, I'm saying that serious infections, such as E coli 0157, are contracted from eaten undercooked beef contaminated with cattle faeces. Therefore, the pancakes you see dotted around grazing land are unlikely to be as benign as people upthread were suggesting.
 John Kelly 21 May 2014

I do quite a bit of strimming verges - face mask and overalls essential - not great

> Therefore, the pancakes you see dotted around grazing land are unlikely to be as benign as people upthread were suggesting.

Ah, I see the problem.

They're not REAL pancakes, you know. You need to stop eating them now. Or at least cut down a bit.

Neil Williams 21 May 2014

Where (a) there is a load of animal "mess" of various types anyway and/or (b) nobody is going to tread in it, and (c) no children are likely to be there.

Neil

In your own lounge or bed.

Otherwise, clean the shit up.
 mhawk 21 May 2014

Saw a guy last week allow his dog to crap on the main path to lawrencefield, he turned around to our group and said, 'watch out for that lads'. Ashamed to say through shock or politeness, we said nothing. Pretty shamefull behaviour, not some young irresponsible lad, but a 50 year old plus climber. Shameful.
 Enty 21 May 2014

Think of somewhere where it is acceptable to leave human shit and you have your answer. The next time I'm walking up to The Dentelles and I'm touching cloth I'm going g to shit in the middle of the path, find a stick and flick it into the long grass.
Dog owners FFS.

E
 Enty 22 May 2014
In reply to Enty:

PS. Dog owners - once you get my analogy into your head rather than comparing it to horse/cow/deer/sheep/rabbit shit you might finally understand.

E
 Milesy 22 May 2014
In reply to Enty:

I'm a dog owner and I pick up pretty much anywhere that isn't properly remote.

Parks, maintained woodlands and community nature reserves are not wilderness unbeknown to many dog owners round here. There's a community nature reserve which is about maybe 1 square mile with paths and bogs and wooded and grassy field areas. It might look like countryside but it isn't. It's disgusting.

Even on 99% of munros I pick up and carry it back off the hill again. The few occasions I haven't is when I have been on open wild land well off any marked or regular paths.
Jim C 22 May 2014

> No, I'm saying that serious infections, such as E coli 0157, are contracted from eaten undercooked beef contaminated with cattle faeces. Therefore, the pancakes you see dotted around grazing land are unlikely to be as benign as people upthread were suggesting.

I thought it was ok, is cattle dung not used in some countries as fuel ( dried out ) moulded by hand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dung_cakes
 Run_Ross_Run 22 May 2014

In the owners garden. That is all.
 Al Evans 22 May 2014
In reply to Phil1919:

> Basically, there are far too many dogs......and cats.

I wonder what the second most common mammal is, assuming that the first is mankind, possibly rats?
 Timmd 23 May 2014
In reply to John Kelly:
> I do quite a bit of strimming verges - face mask and overalls essential - not great

Overalls...luxury. (3 Yorkshireman voice)

I have to put my clothes in the wash after strimming through dog poo. It's horrible.
Post edited at 19:41
 hudav 29 May 2014

I do my best to pick up after my dog regardless of where it is.

I would just ask that all dog owners pick up after their animals on farm land. Dog mess is increasingly being linked to diseases in cattle (Neosporosis - causing abortions) and sheep. Also when people don't pick up the areas around public access become covered in shit, and in reality it is a small space. It really is not pleasant for other users, or for people farming the land (beyond the disease issues). Thanks.
 Skol 29 May 2014
In reply to hudav:

My dog had a crap on an oval rock today. It looked like a Vikings helmet! It was rude to destroy her work of art, so I left it. Why ruin a work of art?
In reply to hudav:

> I do my best to pick up after my dog regardless of where it is.

> I would just ask that all dog owners pick up after their animals on farm land. Dog mess is increasingly being linked to diseases in cattle (Neosporosis - causing abortions) and sheep.

have you got a link to the info regarding this?

hudav 29 May 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Here is a leaflet the NFU put together for park authorities.
http://www.nfus.org.uk/uploadedFiles/Campaigns/Disease%20in%20Livestock.pdf

There is a lot of focus on the risks discussed within the farming community. And asssitance form the public would clearly be much apprecaited.
 PaulTanton 29 May 2014
In reply to rousse:
All very good. An other question is why do some people pick it up in a bag then hang the bag in a tree? This is worse than leaving it and letting nature take it's courseos.
I climb at Baildon Bank. A path runs along the top of the crag. The belay trees are full of dog shit bags just flapping in the breeze. There is also some wedged into the wire fence.
Do some people lack common sense/responsibility?
 Timmd 29 May 2014
In reply to PaulTanton:
> Do some people lack common sense/responsibility?

It seems so, it's pretty mind boggling.
Post edited at 17:58
 Enty 29 May 2014
In reply to PaulTanton:

>

> Do some people lack common sense/responsibility?

No never!!! all dog owners are responsible just like the rest of the population.

E
 john spence 29 May 2014

council mow them regularly (effectively macerating the faeces).

As a student I had a holiday job with the local council cutting grass verges and recreation areas, at the end of most days I was plastered with dog shit thrown up by the cutters. Some poor fitter also had scrape off the shit to service the mowers and sharpen the blades....it doesn't disappear.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...