UKC

Sheffield Outdoor beginners course anyone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TClimb 21 May 2014
Hi

Ive done an indoor month long course and want to start climbing and meeting people outdoors more so I can start leading and be able to get out more! Can anyone recommend a group or course to help me get Trad climbing around Sheffield? There must be loads, but I thought Id see what people recommended as Ive only seen one or two and cant decide!

Cheers

Tom
 tlm 21 May 2014
In reply to TClimb:

Have you looked on here for local clubs?

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/map
 jezb1 21 May 2014
OP TClimb 21 May 2014
In reply to tlm: In reply to tlm: Nope! Thanks for that, Ill have a look.

Seen two courses, one by rock and ice and one by pure outdoors, seem pretty similar, Ill pick the soonest one, unless anyone has a recommendation?
Thanks for the clubs tip Tim!
 tlm 21 May 2014
In reply to TClimb:

I think getting to know other local trad climbers is a key thing to do - You can second them on routes, usually they will have gear, will be able to tell you about climbing ideas and culture - it's a key thing to getting into climbing.

There is also plenty of info out there - this is a good book: http://tinyurl.com/mmtapwm

Good luck!
 spenser 21 May 2014
In reply to TClimb:

I can recommend Pure Outdoor having done a couple of courses with them (winter skills and a weekend looking at anchors), the instructors who I've had have all been really knowledgeable and approachable. Once you're happy you know what you're doing setting up anchors and placing gear, joining a club is a great way of meeting people to climb and share petrol with, many of whom will be very experienced. It will also allow you a chance to play around with gear so that you can decide what you like before you buy it for yourself.
In the interest of honesty I should add that the bloke who runs pure outdoor is an ex member of my university club.
OP TClimb 24 May 2014
In reply to TClimb: Thanks for all the replies, Ill sign up for an outdoor course and then join a club. Got my first copy of eastern grit today and planning my targets already...!
 loops 28 May 2014
In reply to TClimb:
Hi, I did a pureoutdoor climbing course can highly recommend, hoping to go on one of their treks later this year.
Am also member of a sheffield climbing club we go out every wed evening weather allowing, instructors set up top ropes, many people have only climbed indoors. pm me for further details if your interested or text me on 07531107137
Post edited at 12:52
 Becky E 28 May 2014
In reply to TClimb:

Try getting in touch with the Peak Climbing Club. You don't need to have been on an outdoor course to join us, so long as you have your own harness and belay device, and know how to use them. See www.peakclimbingclub.co.uk for more details and how to contact us.

Becky
 Jenny Monkey 28 May 2014
In reply to TClimb:

have a look at RockFace Adventures, i've heard good things about them!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...