UKC

Swiss Alps Questions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 matthewbromley 22 May 2014
Apologies for the general post with so many questions.

I'v just decided to go walking for 5 days in the Swiss Alps with 2 friends in the first half of June. They do not climb and so I was thinking of tagging on some more serious stuff on the end of the trip.

Is this a good time of year to go?

Any recommendations and/or tips for the hiking?

I lead up to HS, and climb 7b in the gym. I know basic crampon and ice axe use, I've climbed Mont Blanc De Chellion as part of a mountaineering course a few years back and continue to head to the UK mountains in winter when I can.

Any thoughts on appropriate climbs?
Any recommendations for guides?

altirando 22 May 2014
In reply to matthewbromley:

Everyone will suggest Saas Fee. Easy snow climbs such as the Allalinhorn, excellent network of walking trails like the Balfrin Hohenweg. An alternative might be Kandersteg.
 gilliesp 23 May 2014

Agree with Saas Fee suggestion. Lots to do. Get hold of the guide books. Do some research as to snow level and conditions (perhaps here on UKC someone will know). You could check out Chamonix as well - the Balcons may be a good bet for walking and access. However, I've seen tons of snow covering paths in early summer there too. June is quite early in the season...
 Doug 23 May 2014
In reply to altirando:

> Everyone will suggest Saas Fee.

except for those suggesting Arolla...
 kylo-342 23 May 2014
In reply to Doug:

Arolla's wonderful!
 felt 23 May 2014
In reply to Doug:

.. or the Engadine.
altirando 23 May 2014
In reply to Doug:

Still more to do in the Saas valley ... several straightforward ascents and definitely better walking trails. And you can nip round the corner to see where alpine history was made in Zermatt. Always fun to wander round the cemeteries there. Arolla for instance is much more confined. Engadine is more open though.
altirando 23 May 2014
In reply to kylo-342:

Yeah but he has already been there - check his climbing history - sounds as though he was on a bmc course in Arolla.
 halroberts 23 May 2014

I'm hoping on getting to Saas Fee from mid-June for a couple of weeks this year. Going with my girlfriend who'll be having her first Alpine trip on the basis that it's ideal for accessibility and relatively easy climbing on 4000m peaks.

Having said that, does anyone out there know about current conditions? Are we likely to be wading through thigh deep snow on popular routes on the Weissmies and the Allalinhorn that time of year?
 LakesWinter 23 May 2014
In reply to altirando:

Kandersteg has far far far superior multipitch rock to Saas or Arolla or any of those Valais valleys. Ueschenen is a fantastic crag with classics of all grades on brilliant rough Limestone. Frundenhorn normal route is the shittest route I've been on in the Alps, whereas the Bluemlisalp traverse is one of the best routes.
 xoran 23 May 2014
In reply to halroberts87:
I'm in SW Switzerland and we're clear of snow to about 2000m. But we've had mixed weather the last few weeks so anything sheltered or above that seems to be pretty snowy still. Things are starting to calm down, and we certainly didn't have a bumper winter so in a month it could be a lot clearer.
HTH
Post edited at 20:05

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...