UKC

French/Italian Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
chester giles 23 May 2014
Hello

I would like to cross the Alps from France into Italy on foot and would be grateful for any information at all people may have which would be of use. I have no great amount of experience just a very deep desire to do so. I need an idea of what to expect and where might be the best points to move from/between, if there are any particular passes and such. Any information at all would be a great help.

kind regards

chester giles
In reply to chester giles:

When my grandfather did it in '45 he didnt need a passport to get around france and into italy and wider Europe. But he had a rifle...
 MG 23 May 2014

Do you need to take elephants with you?
 alasdair19 23 May 2014

Get to chamonix from geneva find the marked trails tour du mont blanc follow path over passes to switzerland then italy then france . Or go the other way from france to italyy
 Doug 23 May 2014

This might give you some ideas but there's many other paths, just look at some maps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_long-distance_paths
altirando 23 May 2014

Just go on the Via Alpina website - routes from the med to Austria.
 MaranaF 26 May 2014

Hi Chester, I am rather partial to my bit of France, There are fantastic routes, old Roman and other ancient ways through the mountains here.

You can start at Alpe d'Huez and work your way via Briancon all the way to Turin [Grenoble Airport to Turin Airport?], Probably about 200Km.

Stephen
 DaCat 28 May 2014

I live in Briancon in the Haute-Alps and I can drive into Italy in less than 20 minutes.

There are some great mountain passes here with many medieval fortresses sitting atop of them. Most you can climb inside and explore the underground tunnels. Coming from Italy you would pass or even walk up the Mont Chaberton 3131 meters which is half in Italy and half in France. Atop is a fortress built by Mussolini to fire on The French during World war 2. The mountains are spectacular here. The treacherous rivers are azure blue all through the summer. You may well see wolves, wild bore and many golden eagles. Oh and the climbing is spectacular.

You would need to fly to Turin in Italy and get a train to Oulx.
 Nigel Modern 30 May 2014
Look up the (walkers') Haute Route. There is a Cicerone Guide.

Not to be confused with the Climber/skier Haute Route which involves glacier travel and some 'easy' climbing.

Both are Chamonix-Zermatt or vice versa.

http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/513/title/chamonix-to-zer...
Post edited at 17:01

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...