UKC

Sport Climbing Crags By Public Transport

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 db79 23 May 2014
New to Huddersfield and quite fancy exploring some sport climbing crags in the area. Is there anything accessible by public transport take takes 90 minutes or less to get to?
 Bob 23 May 2014
In reply to db79:

I think you'll struggle TBH, the one I was thinking of (Giggleswick South) would mean train in to Leeds, then train to Giggleswick. It's then about a mile walk from the station. Not sure if any of the quarries on the Lancs side can be classed as sport (New Mills?) which bizarrely might be easier to get to as Huddersfield's on the Leeds to Manchester line.
 Cake 23 May 2014
In reply to db79:

I'm sorry if this is not at all useful, but Huddersfield is pretty near some really good trad climbing towards Manchester like Dovestones, Wimberry and Ravenstones. I don't know if there are buses to those roads, but it wouln't be that far to cycle.

Yep, not public transport and not sport, but they are definitely worth getting to.

Cake

P.S. The sport at New mills on the pillars is poor.
 Cake 23 May 2014
In reply to db79:

Actually, it might be a bit far to cycle over those hills. The 184 bus to Manchester could be of use, though
OP db79 23 May 2014
In reply to Cake:

Cycling is definitely an option, but no trad rack, or any sort of knowledge how to place gear rules that out for now. Haven't tried cycling with a bouldering mat on my back, but Pule Hill and Shooters Nab could be tempting.

Was hoping to have somewhere easy to get to where I could conveniently clip bolts on an uncharacteristically sunny evening after work.

@Bob Cheers, Giggleswick seems to be inside 2 hours, so might venture up on Monday if the weather holds.
 Bob 23 May 2014
In reply to db79:

No probs. Easy to learn to place gear - find a quarry or suitably featured crag and wander round the bottom trying placements to see what works and what doesn't. Put a wire in around shoulder height, clip a sling in to it and hang off the wire - you'll be surprised at what holds (and even more surprised when it doesn't!!)

I doubt if cycling with a bouldering mat on your back is either easy or legal
 Cake 23 May 2014
In reply to Bob:

Yeah, cycling with a pad is no fun at all, but starting a trad rack is a really good idea if you plan to stay in the area. Top notch climbing close by, but not of the bolted kind.
 Jonny2vests 24 May 2014
In reply to Cake:

> P.S. The sport at New mills on the pillars is poor.

Why's that then? Genuine question, never tried it.
 tlm 24 May 2014
In reply to db79:

Why not get in touch with a local club?

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/map

Then you could second people on trad routes using their gear, share lifts and get to know other climbers?
 Cake 24 May 2014
In reply to Jonny2vests:

Well climbing bricks (even if they are gritstone bricks) just feels like you are climbing the same move again and again. No real satisfaction.

And the bolts are too close for my liking, but that's just being picky
Iain(2010) 24 May 2014
In reply to db79:

Huddersfield to Leeds (by train, 22 mins)
Leeds to Harrogate (by train, think its 30ish minutes)
Harrogate to Malham (by bus, Cravenlink service 875; 90 mins)

There may be more direct routes from huddersfield to skipton from where you can bus it to malham.

Its not 90 mains but more like 2.5 hours if every leg of the journey didn't need a wait.
However, if you were heading there for a weekend and camping it would be worth it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...