UKC

llanberis Pass campsite?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 charley 25 May 2014
Last time I was in the pass (Clogwyn y Grochan), I noticed a campsite on the opposite side of the road. Looked to be a hut there as well.

Can't seem to find it on Google? Has anyone got any details on it?

Cheers,
In reply to charley:

That's the Climber's Club Hut - Ynys Ettws. You need to be a member or be friends of one to use the facilities.
OP charley 25 May 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Thanks! That's a shame, won't have time to join for this trip. Would be a handy site to use in the future though...
In reply to charley:

There's a campsite just down the road in Nant Peris opposite the Vaynol arms.
 GridNorth 25 May 2014
In reply to charley:

You don't just "join" the CC because you would like to, it takes a little more effort, I'm afraid.
 Tom Valentine 25 May 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

And there lies a good reason for giving the establishment a wide berth (even though I have enjoyed guest benefits on a number of occasions)
OP charley 25 May 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

Effort? Doesn't involve funny hand shakes and hazing does it? Would rather be climbing...

Yup, stayed at the Nant Peris one last time thanks. Loved waking up to the that view and the pub is very handy.

Also stayed at the Snowdon Inn (a mile or so out of Llanberis) not as good views but a fantastic little spot with a lake and a more up to date shower block.
 GridNorth 25 May 2014
In reply to charley:

No, all I meant was that it's a little more than just meeting at a pub, paying your dues and immediately becoming a member. It is by no means elitist as some would have you believe although membership does demand a certain level of competance and expierence.

To Tom V: Affectively slagging it off in one breath but admitting to using the facilities is a little hypocritical do you not think?
 ripper 25 May 2014
In reply to charley:

there's also a tiny campsite further up the pass from Nant Peris, can't remember what it's called but stayed there once a few years back. It's (or was then) under the same ownership as some self-catering cottages across the road.
 Tom Valentine 26 May 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

Put yourself in my position for a bit.
You are in a perfectly good climbing club which organises meets in North Wales.
Unfortunately most of your fellow members seem obsessed with CC membership and will only make the weekend if they can book one of the huts in the Pass or Ogwen.

Would you
1.) absent yourself from the meeting and stay at home on principle
b.) accept their invitation to stay at a CC place while still holding some reservations about their membership procedures.

I'm thankful that most clubs don't have an entry qualification about competence or experience,(or spelling, for that matter) otherwise they would generally be regarded as elitist, whatever you might think.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...