UKC

Climbing destination This Winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 johnmctighe 26 May 2014
Howdy,
Thinking of taking an extended break from work this winter and I'd like to go somewhere with some climbing.
My complication is that I'd need somewhere family friendly with non-climbing activities. I've a 3yr old son & a 6mth daughter and my wife doesn't climb (or belay)
Obviously that rules Rjukan, Cogne or anywhere cold out!
I've been to El Chorro previously but its a bit too remote for non-climbers and also too far from beach. (that road from Alora - grr)
So in a nutshell I'd like
Beach, Small Town with bars restaurants & supermarkets.
Good climbing (either bolted or not) up to F6b level with plenty of willing partners available.
Reasonable Transport links - esp if it meant I could nip off ice-climbing for a week or 2 in the middle...
I'd be hoping to spend approx 3 months abroad Oct/Nov - Jan/Feb so I'd like somewhere with low rainfall (doesn't have to be too warm) and a bit of sunshine.
I've been looking at Costa Blanca - any specific recommendations.
Benidorm seems a bit built up whereas Sella is a bit remote.
Somewhere in between...
Also would Kalymnos be suitable - is there enough non-climbing to keep the family happy.
Anywhere in Southern Italy?
I'd be happy to consider somewhere further afield - eg Thailand/ S America/ USA but again I don't really know enough about anywhere that would tick all the boxes.
thanks in advance...
John

Mark Eddy 26 May 2014
In reply to johnmctighe:

Costa blanca would fit the bill.

For coastal try Calpe / Moraira areas, or if you'd prefer a little inland the Jalon valley is really nice and still within 30 mins of the beaches.

Great climbing, scrambling, walking, beaches, loads of places to stay, restaurants, etc, and the weather's pretty good too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...